MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Now that it’s over, Wonder Woman 1 is officially the ONLY worthwhile thing to come out of DCEU, you will not change my mind. 

I'd add Aquaman 1, Shazam 1, the Snyder Cut and The Suicide Squad to that list. Only 5 truly great movies out of 12 (I have no plans to touch the original Suicide Squad and Josstice League, and Aquaman 2 is not out here at the time of writing) is not a good run to say the least. The Snyder Cut was the perfect sendoff to this franchise for me, and everything afterwards feels like expensive fanfiction to me. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hahahahaha at the post credit scene, that HAD to be the work of somebody involved saying “fuck you DCEU, glad you’re dead” lol 

A final middle finger from Mr. Wan to the studio that gave him the worst time of his career since Furious 7 if rumours are to be believed. I couldn't think of a more poetic ending even if I tried.

40 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'd add Aquaman 1, Shazam 1 and the Snyder Cut to that list. Only 4 truly great movies out of 12 (I have no plans to touch the original Suicide Squad and Josstice League, and Aquaman 2 is not out here at the time of writing) is not a good run to say the least. The Snyder Cut was the perfect sendoff to this franchise for me, and everything afterwards feels like expensive fanfiction to me. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.

I feel exactly the same way (and those are the only 3 DCEU films I love love as well). It's just hard to care for after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Now that it’s over, Wonder Woman 1 is officially the ONLY worthwhile thing to come out of DCEU, you will not change my mind. 

The first Shazam is one of the best superhero movies of all time IMO. So much heart and humour.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Aquaman 1 did $335.1M domestically, so if this does ~$80M then that will basically be the exact same as Alice which went from $334.2M to $77.0M

It must be the year of the gigantic drops. 

For example, The Marvels dropped more from its first film than Aquaman 1 made in total. -$342m. So even if Aquaman 2 does do $80m, it still wouldn’t be the biggest drop from original to sequel even in the past two months. What a year it’s been. 

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

China

9.1 Maoyan (7.5K ratings)

TTP should be similar. Douban expecting 7.5

EDIT: Taiopaopao 9.2 (3.1K ratings)

Maoyan and TPP scores are not bad at all! If it stabilises above 9 means pretty strong WoM especially for HLW films..!

Reminiscing on the DCEU, it’s got a ton of misses but also some pretty solid entries. Man of Steel I will defend forever I think it’s great. Wonder Woman is awesome, as is Shazam 1. Birds of Prey is fun, as is TSS. I even argue that, VFX aside, The Flash is a great movie (mostly due to its script). Although Flash feels like it would have been a much better “end” to the DCEU since it sorta ended where it began.

Batfleck was a good choice, Cavill was born to play Superman, Gadot is a great Wonder Woman and Momoa killed it as Aquaman. And Robbie as Harley obviously.

Edited by DAJK

11 minutes ago, dallas said:

So given good WOM in China, is it possible for Aquaman to end up doing more than its projected $32M total?

Of course it is possible. Let's see how it does tonight.. and if whether Maoyan update its prediction in 3hrs. This weekend is quite clear in terms of competition; no new openers.. unless some holdover surprises.

The big one comes on 31st Dec.

18 minutes ago, dallas said:

So given good WOM in China, is it possible for Aquaman to end up doing more than its projected $32M total?

The Flash started with a 9,4 on Maoyan and dropped to 9.

The Flash stared with a 8.0 on Douban and dropped to 7.6.

First Aquaman Maoyan 9.3, Taopiaopiao 9.1 and Douban 7.2.

Aquaman 2 scores will drop. I have no hope for it in China.

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

The question is now that this is finally coming out, what is @HummingLemon496 going to do here??? All the comic book films are gone.

He has Madame Web, Karven the Hunter and Venom 3 which Im expecting to drop massively from the previous 2 movies as the general audience continues to move away from comicbook movies 

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Venom 2 was hated in a way Venom 1 wasn't, Venom 3 is absolutely going to drop hard.

Both movies received the same Cinemascore, and LTBC even had better reviews than the first. Don't know where this is coming from, but it's wrong. 

• Like 1