MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

11 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I did not like Shazam that much either. Aquaman 1 was also meh in my opinion. I enjoyed Wonder Woman more than any other DCEU movie for the chemistry between Gadot/Pine. Bad guy as usual was terrible there as well. 

I loved Shazam - so charming and sweet. Aquaman 1 was meh though. 

2 hours ago, GogoGadget said:

Black Adam ($390 million) is the highest grossing movie since the first Aquaman ($1.1 billion). If you ask me, The Rock really changed the hierarchy of DC. James Gunn could really use his star power and creative prowess right about now, maybe he should show up in Superman Legacy to revive this fading franchise.  

Black adam released now would make half of what it did.

The collapse of the cbm has only accelerated and movies like black adam only paved that road more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

There's a consensus on Rotten Tomatoes:

Jason Momoa remains a capable and committed leading man, but even DC diehards may feel that Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom sticks to familiar waters.

Even though I enjoyed this movie, I agree with the ending part of the consensus. This movie played insanely safe in every department. It's very clear the crew was afraid of taking any kind of risk. However, it was still much better than what I thought it would be. It's better than a lot of movies I've watched lately. I'm actually surprised. James Wan really has talent and the crew really did what they could. 

3 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Black adam released now would make half of what it did.

The collapse of the cbm has only accelerated and movies like black adam only paved that road more.

I'm now interested how much that "black adam phase 1" pitch helped. I know a couple of random people who brought it up.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Man Of Steel, Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad were also highly profitable hits for DC, reviews are irrelevant.

These were still divisive movies, which get their big box office due to iconic characters (or big promotion). The mixed reception is a real issue, because it damages the brand.

Justice League has a poor OW, due to the mixed reception of Batman v Superman.

Edited by Kon

8 hours ago, GogoGadget said:

Black Adam ($390 million) is the highest grossing movie since the first Aquaman ($1.1 billion). If you ask me, The Rock really changed the hierarchy of DC. James Gunn could really use his star power and creative prowess right about now, maybe he should show up in Superman Legacy to revive this fading franchise.  

You aren't Dany Garcia, are you??  😄

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Even though I enjoyed this movie, I agree with the ending part of the consensus. This movie played insanely safe in every department. It's very clear the crew was afraid of taking any kind of risk. However, it was still much better than what I thought it would be. It's better than a lot of movies I've watched lately. I'm actually surprised. James Wan really has talent and the crew really did what they could. 

We can assume in this case that numerous "playing it safe" bits may have been studio-mandated reshoots, as we seem to have enough evidence that this movie went through multiple iterations beyond its original conception.  

49 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

You know it's bad when fanboy critics like Jeremy Jahns hate it. DC brand is at its worst, must suck to be James Gunn at the moment.

Why?  Gunn had nothing to do with these movies.  Let's wait and see how his own take goes...and whatever happens with SUPERMAN (barring an outright bomb), I think whoever is heading Warner Bros. at that point will likely allow him a few movies to see how his train rolls on the tracks after the lingering toxicity of the last few years of the DCEU.  

Edited by Macleod

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

These were still divisive movies, which get their big box office due to iconic characters (or big promotion). The mixed reception is a real issue, because it damages the brand.

Justice League has a poor OW, due to the mixed reception of Batman v Superman.

This is just theory and speculation, for me JL opened poorly because it had a terrible marketing campaign, the movie looked progressively worse with each new trailer. We will not agree on the reason JL opened poorly. But we can all look at the numbers and see that MOS, BVS and SS were very profitable at the box office, and had a huge number of ticket sales, which means they also continued to make big profit in the post-theatrical market. These were objectively financial hits for WB.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This is just theory and speculation, for me JL opened poorly because it had a terrible marketing campaign, the movie looked progressively worse with each new trailer. We will not agree on the reason JL opened poorly. But we can all look at the numbers and see that MOS, BVS and SS were very profitable at the box office, and had a huge number of ticket sales, which means they also continued to make big profit in the post-theatrical market. These were objectively financial hits for WB.

Because of course JL was getting progressively worse with each passing month behind-the-scenes!  Jeff Robinov at WB projected that MOS would make $1 Billion.  So everything after that was downhill.  BvS's opening weekend torpedoed its possible reception (the first live-action team-up of World's Finest had the potential to make $2 Billion).  SS somehow...OK, I'll give you that...I still can't explain the success of that one!