Eric Lasagna

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Captain Marvel, Aquaman and hell even maybe Shazam! will have $1B films before Spider-Man does. Mind-boggling. With that said, this is not a shade on Homecoming, I very much love what Marvel Studios is doing with the character, the slow build of the character Harry Potter style is bound to make the character THE biggest of the MCU going forward, let's hope that Sony doesn't fuck it up and keep the deal going in the future. Tom Holland could easily make as much Spider-Man films as RDJ has done Iron Man films. Hell, he could even top him. 

They could realistically give Holland a 10 year break and then bring him back as adult Spider-Man - perhaps to mentor miles morales Spider-Man 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Captain Marvel, Aquaman and hell even maybe Shazam! will have $1B films before Spider-Man does. Mind-boggling. With that said, this is not a shade on Homecoming, I very much love what Marvel Studios is doing with the character, the slow build of the character Harry Potter style is bound to make the character THE biggest of the MCU going forward, let's hope that Sony doesn't fuck it up and keep the deal going in the future. Tom Holland could easily make as much Spider-Man films as RDJ has done Iron Man films. Hell, he could even top him. 

agree even though homecoming the 2 REBOOT of the character and the fact that evey spiderman movie passed 700 million is a testment to the character and how strong he is 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

who's Miek and why should we care for her tweets? Like, if the tweet isn't an official announcement or news, why are randos who either hate or stan important to post here? 

LOL Deadline's 'with a shot at 1B'. do the mat. how could a movie that opened with 456-460M (I think OS will go up) miss 1B? like, even with the worst collapse which clearly won't happen it isn't missing lolololol deadline is the worst. :rofl:

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

"Final global, if the film is front-loaded would be around $750M-$800M, with a shot at $1 billion."

WTF! Who taught them math or box office.

• Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

baed on what ? it could have 3 mutli for all we know ? 

You seem to be the most enthusiastic on CM legs. Good for you. But too much expectations can lead to severe disappointment (like what I learned from China this weekend). So maybe you should tone it down a little.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

"Final global, if the film is front-loaded would be around $750M-$800M, with a shot at $1 billion."

1-1.2 billion is a realistic in my opinion also lol more like 750-800 overseas than total

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

You seem to be the most enthusiastic on CM legs. Good for you. But too much expectations can lead to severe disappointment (like what I learned from China this weekend). So maybe you should tone it down a little.

no i said as an example god 

Black Panther started being hated the moment reactions came out from screening cuz alot of the tweets stated how political it was so "those" people assumed the movie was gonna bash trump and they started review bombing the audience scores on rotten tomatoes, metacritic and imdb and then when it started getting nominated for major awards the whole Black Panther is good but [insert comic book movie here] was better

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

They could realistically give Holland a 10 year break and then bring him back as adult Spider-Man - perhaps to mentor miles morales Spider-Man 

I'm torn about what to do with Miles in the MCU after Into The Spider-Verse. My position before that film was that I wanted Tom to get to the point where Spider-Man is in the PS4 game and mentor Miles when he was a 20 something seasoned Spider-Man (sometime around Tom's 4th or 5th MCU film) but after that, I don't really know what to do with Miles moving forward. 

All I know is that I'd be ALL OVER a Spider-Verse live action event. Bring Andrew Garfield, Tobey Maguire, Emma Stone and even Nicolas Cage to play Spider-Verse. I'd be nuts over that. The more I think about how perfect Into Spider-Verse is, the more I'm not sure if bringing Miles to the "main" universe in Marvel Comics was the right decision, and before the film I always thought that bringing him to the main universe was vital for the character longevity. Not so sure anymore. 

There are a LOT of stuff that the MCU - and Sony, btw - could do with an "ultimate MCU" universe: Exiles, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man 2099, different takes on several characters, etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Black Panther not hated cause of diversity,  I blame critics for making it overrated. The best reviewed film of all time on RT.

Black Panther is very well liked. Pretty tough to have a 3.5 multiplier off a $200M+ OW unless a movie's well liked. Guess their are folks that believe it's overvalued but most of those same folks like it but don't love it.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Just saw a 1030am showing in Cambridge England. Every single seat was taken except for 2. Good reception to the film from the crowd.

Personally I liked it way better than Ant Man and the Wasp. I'd put it middle tier overall for marvel movies. Brie Larson was fantastic, plot was generic and way too shallow on character depth. Beginning and ending we're great, middle was ok. B+ for me.

For comparison I liked Aquaman a bit more, Man of Steel a lot less, and BVS and Suicide squad we're trash in comparison.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, UserHN said:

either way 1B is locked. 300M+ OS OW guarantees it but more likely 1.1B is the floor. it's physically impossible to miss the mark off such big opening and China is a weird market that other OS markets won't follow. Plus spring break dom is going to create good holds. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$750m would mean a 1.65 WW multiplier. :lol:

This is even a worse math hot take than Mendelson saying SMH could reasonably just do $30m in China and miss $800m WW

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

$750m would me a 1.65 WW multiplier. :lol:

This is even a worse math hot take than Mendelson saying SMH could reasonably just do $30m in China and miss $800m WW

I hate when people praise Mendelson doing the ridiculous math stuff in his articles and stating the most obvious things.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The say that domestic will end at at $400M+ yet talk about hitting $750-800M worldwide if front loaded. 🤪

• Like 2