Eric Furiosa

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

MCU rankings 

The Avengers
Avengers: Infinity War
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Iron Man 

Doctor Strange

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Iron Man 3
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

Captain America: Civil War

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The First Avenger

Ant Man
The Incredible Hulk
Spider-man: Homecoming
Ant Man and the Wasp

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

really ? i like the guy but if he indeed said that  is idiot the movie is not even divisis the vast majority of the audience really like it if he didnt like the movie thats fine not everyone will but to say this thing its just sucj a bullshit ,in every forum,reddit,insta,twitter,etc the reactions are very positive at least most of them

We don't know that either (unless we truly interviewed every single person that came out of theatres on OW. Tweets are just a sampling, but for me, I will wait till the second and third week drops to assess whether there really is a audiences love it or audiences hate it narrative brewing or not.

And the Cinemascore, well we all know that these types of films will certainly bring the staunchest CBM fans on OW, and that alone will invariably inflate the Cinemascore.

What I have noticed is that, for an MCU film, CM has garnered a whole lot of mixed/meh/so-so reactions from the normally salivating/hyperbolic MCU fandom. I am not talking about the white dudebros trolls who "hate" the film sight unseen; I mean even here, you have a whole lot of fans who are halfheartedly it'saiighting the film and just hoping that Endgame will make better use of Carol. I don't recall the last time an MCU film got so many lukewarm reactions from MCU aficionados (Dr. Strange?)

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Jenkins still holds the record.

Jenkins is much bigger deal than Boden+Fleck (no matter how hard some try to forget Fleck, he's the co-director so that's that). Not just because Jenkins is a sole woman director but because WW was coming on the heels of very troubled BvS and overall DCEU's shaky attempts to lift shared universe of the ground. So while DC is a known brand, it isn't nearly as strong as MCU. 

OTOH, CM has MCU at its peak plus position between 2 billie IW and most anticipated finale in history, EG, where she is going to play a major role. The history wrote itself no matter who directed. I mean, WW came out first and yet even the hype of finally getting WW on the screen couldn't approach the hype of MCU getting the first solo superheroine movie. MCU's first >>>>> first in general or first for the movie iconic female SH. It's the reality. MCU is unlike anything cinema had since SW in the 70s and 80s. so that CM got much bigger opening and will have much bigger total despite worse reviews and not as well known character is brand power, not Boden+Fleck power (not to mention that quite a few reviews questioned their creative freedom given that the movie showed zero personal touch they were known for in their indie opus).  Big test will be very talented Chloe Zhao's Eternals because they are completely unknown so will MCU let her take chances?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

We don't know that either (unless we truly interviewed every single person that came out of theatres on OW. Tweets are just a sampling, but for me, I will wait till the second and third week drops to assess whether there really is a audiences love it or audiences hate it narrative brewing or not.

And the Cinemascore, well we all know that these types of films will certainly bring the staunchest CBM fans on OW, and that alone will invariably inflate the Cinemascore.

What I have noticed is that, for an MCU film, CM has garnered a whole lot of mixed/meh/so-so reactions from the normally salivating/hyperbolic MCU fandom. I am not talking about the white dudebros trolls who "hate" the film sight unseen; I mean even here, you have a whole lot of fans who are halfheartedly it'saiighting the film and just hoping that Endgame will make better use of Carol. I don't recall the last time an MCU film got so many lukewarm reactions from MCU aficionados (Dr. Strange?)

the same can be said for this guys too   like you said there is now way to know for sure it goes both ways most people i have see really like it true or not we will see and you will see many mcu hardcore fans trash black panther,homecoming,ragnarok etc ;) and even here in the forum the most peole say that it is at least watchable and thats the worst that i have see idk where you were this day many people here have said that they enjoyed  we will see the legs

Edited by john2000

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

That Magnus guy who does reactions gave CM a 1/5.

Lots of youtubers have been lukewarm towards CM from what I've seen. Most of them are huge MCU fans too

Edited by DlAMONDZ
  • Like 1

My rankings of the CM (because I might as well!)

Top MCU films (in terms of how much I enjoyed them. These are the films I found 100 % compelling, interesting, fun, and overall entertaining)

1- Black Panther

2-Iron Man

3-Ant-Man

4-Avengers: Infinity War

5-Thor: Ragnarok

6-Captain America: Civil War

7-Guardians of the Galaxy

8-The Avengers

9-Guardians of the Galaxy 2

10-Ant-Man & The Wasp

The MCU films I could live without (no particular order; just found them hopelessly mediocre and forgettable [despite enjoying some isolated elements of each film])

Captain Marvel

Thor and Thor 2

Avengers 2

Captain America 1 and 2

Iron Man 2 and 3

Avengers 2

The Incredible Hulk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

My rankings of the CM (because I might as well!)

Top MCU films (in terms of how much I enjoyed them. These are the films I found 100 % compelling, interesting, fun, and overall entertaining)

1- Black Panther

2-Iron Man

3-Ant-Man

4-Avengers: Infinity War

5-Thor: Ragnarok

6-Captain America: Civil War

7-Guardians of the Galaxy

8-The Avengers

9-Guardians of the Galaxy 2

10-Ant-Man & The Wasp

The MCU films I could live without (no particular order; just found them hopelessly mediocre and forgettable [despite enjoying some isolated elements of each film])

Captain Marvel

Thor and Thor 2

Avengers 2

Captain America 1 and 2

Iron Man 2 and 3

Avengers 2

The Incredible Hulk

it seems to me that i am the only one who never ranked them lol :d

• Like 1

WOM will be good. Once again, GA =/= Internet. they don't care if XY reference from another movie was slightly retconned. fans tend to make a huge deal about such things that GA doesn't notice. There's no reason for WOM to be toxic. the movie isn't bad. It may not be the most exciting/creative thing out there nor top tier MCU but it's a fun time at the cinema with likable characters and some twists that may seem lame to us but are likely more impactful to casual audience. Twitter YT, etc do not represent all of the audience, not even close. the movie will pass 400M dom and 1 billie WW and the only mystery is by how much. but those milestones are set in stone for there won't be catastrophic drops or whatever.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I am curious how many people are gonna feel the same as you. All good things come to an end eventually. My wish would be the MCU would end on its terms instead of limping out like a tv show that's past its use by date. But that's probably not gonna happen. 

How is it gonna limp out past a TV show? 

Infinity War, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel are some of its strongest showing.

After Captain Marvel I am losing my mind at the thought of Kamala and Teddy on screen. We have Eternals and Widow fast tracked for production. Black Panther 2 is already announced. Dr, Strange is... kind of announced. 

Oh, and they just got the X-Men back. 

I don’t see a lot of limping in the future. 

The only problem child I foresee is Widow, but that might be my “ this movie should have come out in 2013 and I am honestly kind of over Scarlett Johansson” bias. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

should go direct-to-streaming :stirthepot:

BTW, time to stop underestimating Black Widow. 

BTW, time to stop hating on Captain Marvel, but I know that’s not gonna happen. So. 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

WOM will be good. Once again, GA =/= Internet. they don't care if XY reference from another movie was slightly retconned. fans tend to make a huge deal about such things that GA doesn't notice. There's no reason for WOM to be toxic. the movie isn't bad. It may not be the most exciting/creative thing out there nor top tier MCU but it's a fun time at the cinema with likable characters and some twists that may seem lame to us but are likely more impactful to casual audience. Twitter YT, etc do not represent all of the audience, not even close. the movie will pass 400M dom and 1 billie WW and the only mystery is by how much. but those milestones are set in stone for there won't be catastrophic drops or whatever.

As we've seen a lot, WOM doesn't have to be toxic for it to not spur later attendance.  Disappointment ("movie not as good as rating") and just "meh" WOM can be as problematic for a movie's legs as pure awfulness.  This is gonna be an interesting run, and for now, I'm keeping my multiplier ratings wide open - I believe absolutely anything is possible, from Civil War legs (or even a touch lower) to WW legs until I start seeing more numbers...then, I'll narrow it down:)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

As we've seen a lot, WOM doesn't have to be toxic for it to not spur later attendance.  Disappointment ("movie not as good as rating") and just "meh" WOM can be as problematic for a movie's legs as pure awfulness.  This is gonna be an interesting run, and for now, I'm keeping my multiplier ratings wide open - I believe absolutely anything is possible, from Civil War legs (or even a touch lower) to WW legs until I start seeing more numbers...then, I'll narrow it down:)...

I think it'll have superior legs to Civil War. I'm expecting a multiplier just over/under 2.5 for a DOM total just over/under $400M.

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Man I like Magnus but he keeps pushing the whole "Captain Marvel is divisive" narrative. He compared it to BvS lol

I ony watched a reaction to a tv spot / clip in connection to CM. In the past I watched some

That was the last time I'll ever click on his things. :rant:

He tells (and how often I heard that already by many males over the decades) ~ he can see of somone can fight in RL by seeing them move (I think not only per fight on screen, like that it is a stunt person, bcs...) and that 'ability' to see that, makes a cast person believable as a fighter tp him or not. Came over to me like he dosn't think a woman can fight (or is beliefable against a male), maybe a few pros. I so know the 'tone' of those words, too often heared those wordings.

He said that as an intro before watching the clip, after seemingly having watched already a few.

Why I think I can dismiss his POV ( a pet peeve of mine, as such bit lengthy, in spoler tags. and that are not all reasons and examples I could bring up)

Spoiler

My record against males is in a public swimming pool, where a big group of males harassed females, is me vs. 7.

Another end teen / YA women held 3 in check. Those ~ 17-25y olds were willing to act like a pack, but not to slice you up = to help to understand the risk/threat-level.

My record against flag carrying motorcycle club members is lower, for reasons I say vs 2.5 (I worked as a weekend-bouncer starting in the '70), but those had smashed bottle/special glasss in their hands and me not and there wasn't much room to move. One is 0.5, bcs I think he wasn't commited to use it to slice up for real.

As I started as a bouncer I was much younger then than Brie Larson was during filming, extreme fit at that time without looking so, incl having male friends with sport fight titles like Judo vice-European whatever that is called, one Karate worldchampion and so on.

The Judo vice-... friend (who worked as a body-guard too for some years) and also another bouncer both formulated it this way: they don't wish their biggst enemy to try to ambush me in the night. Broadly grinning (the others too, I still disagree). I never did an official fight training, I grew up 'street-fighting' (lived during formative for such in an 'interesting' neighborhood, we moved more than usual) and love to wrestle, but not to smack/punch... in RL with friends. For the joy of the letting loose without agression.

I didn't look 'smooth' in my usual movements, you can even say I look (and still look) rather a bit 'unsmooth' (the opposite of graceful). Its about how normal walking looks like and such too.

I way too often got told I wouldn't be able to fight based on that, when my friends were with me they always started sniggering. I never started a physical disput.

The difference is e.g. sport vs RL experience, and fight per trained/grained in movements and doing the unexpeted and having very good reflexes, acc them also very good instinct, unusual strength can help too

Like the time I carried a ~ 250 pound knife wielding customer out, one head more height than me, by embracing him from behind, incl his arms, lifting him up ~ a feet and start going to the door... his till then also agressive friends getting laughing fits (he squeaked), the whole agreesive mood over. See the doing the unexpected and see strength.

All of my sport-fighting, and the bouncer... friends disagree with ppl who say: you can always see.

I realy hate it when ppl think they know it all when they seem to gain their knowledge out of a limited pool or limited mindset.

6 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

BTW, time to stop hating on Captain Marvel, but I know that’s not gonna happen. So. 🤷‍♂️

changing a subject, much? you are making BW boxoffice prediction based on personal bias. the movie is a go. BW is a popular character. it's going to be a hit cause there's no reason why it wouldn't be. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think it'll have superior legs to Civil War. I'm expecting a multiplier just over/under 2.5 for a DOM total just over/under $400M.

this. it's very easy to follow which is the key to GA. also, if lets say it only comes close to 400M but can't pass without a fudge, Disney will AWIT it over the mark. But I think it'll pass the mark no problem.