Eric S'ennui

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

CM is not missing 400M dom and that's that. March break, solid WOM (GA doesn't need more than "if you liked other Marvel you'll like this"), low competition and fudge-friendly Disney will make it happen. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

CM is not missing 400M dom and that's that. March break, solid WOM (GA doesn't need more than "if you liked other Marvel you'll like this"), low competition and fudge-friendly Disney will make it happen. 

we'll see when the "original" captain MARVEL out......  CM need to prove ha sexy "LEG"

7.4 isn’t crazy frontloaded or anything considering the Endgame factor. I think the appetite was there for 165+ if it was widely received as being in the top third of MCU movies compared to the “good, but 40th-50th percentile” reactions I’ve seen a lot of.      

In the end this is a very strong debut for a new character, and it really went bonkers overseas. Can’t complain too much about being some % short of sky high hopes.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Yikes that Sunday. 

Horrible slate of movies for the 15th and 22. Has basically no competition until the 29th.

How is a -26.5% drop yikes? It's freaking March and not the summer or holidays. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Is that drop bad good or what?

normal very mcu movies had that kind of a drop also many march movies had that kind of a drop so yeah normal

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, boyamama said:

isn't the MUMMY flop so the entire dark universe cancelled or u talking about the original mummy???:sparta:

Mummy's very similar to Alita bo and budget (Mummy's reported 125 is bs).

Alita will go higher dom and ww but it's global theatrical revenue won't be higher due to the bigger China share (90+ for Mummy vs 130+ for ALITA). 3d screens also give less returns it seems which Alita scored a lot in compared to Mummy.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $80,227,895    19.6%
Foreign:  $329,003,712    80.4%

Worldwide:  $409,231,607  

4 minutes ago, boyamama said:

we'll see when the "original" captain MARVEL out......  CM need to prove ha sexy "LEG"

I don't know who original CM is but if you allude to Shazam, it's coming out late enough for CM to sustain interest. y'all acting like Shazam is coming out tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, UserHN said:

Grace Randolph seemed soooo disappointed that the movie made so much in opening weekend. She couldn't hide it. Lol

I saw that video and the salt was tremendous. But more than that some of the things she said were so stupid it boggles the mind. Here are are some things she said in the video for those who did not see 

1) Theres overwhelming negativity and overwhelming positivity around the movie. Disney shouldnt want the positivity and instead go down the middle. :rofl:

2) Brie Larson should change her behaviour going forward. 

3) Kevin Feige would rather have an irate and uninterested Director like Joss Whedon than an activist actress like Brie. (Someone should remind her than Evans/Ruffalo are far more vocal politically. But this woman comes across as if she hates other women based on her past videos, so this is nothing new for her)

4) Trades are being too positive on this. 

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Its clear everything she says or does is to please her audience. She talks shit about Black Panther and everything it stands for but puts it in her best movies of 2018 list (was even in the top position at some point I think). She's a complete hack.

Ever since she got booted out from marvel/disney she has been largely anti disney/MCU. She even led or spread conspiracies regarding bias against DC and towards Marvel. Hence her audience largely comprise of such fans and she panders to them. 

But yes her end year rating does surpirse me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's not bad but it's worse than many of us were expecting.  I'm most interested in this upcoming weekend. There is nothing in its way.  It should have a nice soft drop.  

well i saw most people say around 40 so really not that far off

10 minutes ago, tawasal said:

How is a -26.5% drop yikes? It's freaking March and not the summer or holidays. 

Probably normal just such a drastic change from Saturday. Black panther barely even dropped. Infinity war dropped 15.7%,  Antman and the Wasp dropped 21.3% with a much weaker opening.

Thor 3: 27.4%

Spiderman HC: 21.2% again a lot smaller open

Gotg3: 23.7% with a smaller opening

If it was 40.0 it wouldn't look that big despite that really being a relatively insignificant difference.