Eric the Fall Guy

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

Top Playdates 10-Mar
All CW
1-AMC Burbank
2-AMC Empire 25, New York City
(Combined with E-Walk #1, Empire over 2x E-Walk)
Even with E-walk now playing some movies same as Empire 25, Empire still retain #1 complex in Country since 2002
If you combine it with E-walk it and absolute monster

3-AMC Lincoln Square, New York City
4-AMC Orange 30
5-AMC Disney Spring, Orlando FL
6-AMC Garden State, Paramus NJ
7-Regal Irvine Spectrum
8-AMC MEtreon , San Francisco
9-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA
10-CM Century Tanforam, San Bruno CA
11-Regal Kaufman Astoria, Astoria NV
12-CM Mountain View CA

Ontario Mills + Ontario Palace combined would rank #2

Top Canada
1-CPLX Queensway, Etobicoke ON, 2-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto ON, 3-CPLX Banque Scotia Montreal, 4-CPLX Winston Churchil Oakville ON, 5-CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I disagree with people who say that it doesn't have competition until Dumbo. I'm predicting US to open with 50mil and a 50mil opener that will be pulling adult women and the like away from Captain Marvel is competition to me. I do think that Captain Marvel's legs will be fine though. Not Black Panther fine but Doctor Strange or slightly better fine.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dbui8743 said:

This is what they said about wonder woman, and it is true, but not here.

The whole theme might have been what is being said here but the execution focuses on how Carol has always been looked down on/ pushed down by men, from which she has stood up again and again.

That is also applicable to her best friend, they both persevered to fly despite limitation and inequality. Women in the film has endurance and thats what saves the day.

At the time in the film, when its about to save the day, all what tries to hold her back is not about her being a women. Better said, all that happens timline-like since 6y before the movie happens has nothing to do with being a woman

(edit agre to the endurance part, but considering the wording, she was right)

30 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I disagree. Yes, they are right in that "she saved the day and happened to be a woman" but they seem to be forgetting that Wonder Woman did that as well, and much more effectively I'd say.

Case in point, the scene where Pine says "this is no man's land, means that no man can cross it" Diana could have easily said "but I am not a man" but instead it went for the much more subtle and effective "so what we do nothing? … no but it's what I'm going to do" followed by one of the most inspiring scenes in any comic book movie ever. 

Me female, do not agree to that. By far.

She, also female, seems also not agree to that. Maybe some females have reasons to prefer CM over WW for that aspect in the tweet and some to many others.

Only bcs WW is an accepted fighter in her film world, (who would be able to doubt that) makes her role not something I'd consider refreshing or similar refreshing in other details. And I like the WW film, but not for being what some males seem to assume me and others were looking for.

I know there are women who prefer WW for their reasons too.

Please belief me, every woman that does actually watches CBMs... knows WW too.

And every word you hear out of the mouth of a woman about CM and what is better there.... has not forgotten WW. Doesnt exclude other + / - points about both movies

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, a2k said:

seeing not much more than

430 Dom + 145 Ch + 550 OS-Ch-J + 15 J = 1140 ww (7.5x the prod budget)

430*0.55 + 145*0.25 + 565*0.40 = ~500 theatrical revenue

Didn't it have a $90m OW in China? Why would its multiplier be THAT bad?

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

most movies espeically superhero movies are  very frontloade there ,in general movies there , its very difficult for a movie to have 2 mutli, especially with that ow

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I think its $85m and what some called free fall I describe in thos way:

Friday was a 1/2 public holiday for all Chinese women. As such inflated, I think even inflated a lot.

If the number crunchers extracted early on that extra, their estimates might have matched. Charlie Jat.... something did a recalc. based on that once, then it looked more reasonable. Still might not have a good mp there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Calling it now, Five Feet Apart opens to 15M+ (maybe becomes another Me Before You but I won't go that far quite yet) and Captive State goes sub-5M

I definitely agree about 15+ for Five Feet Apart. Cole Sprouse is going to draw a ton of his fangirls to the theatre

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

After a bad Sun and Mon Maoyan have updated their projection to 940 yuan / $140 total. They were projecting 999 at one point yesterday and 1100+ on day 1 of release.

31 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Calling it now, Five Feet Apart opens to 15M+ (maybe becomes another Me Before You but I won't go that far quite yet) and Captive State goes sub-5M

I'm going with Five Feet Apart and Wonder Park both going $15M+...the ticket deals they have offered are gonna spur their target audiences in the best way - into the seats:)...

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Works for THR

25 minutes ago

"'s greatest innovation is that...it takes the road less traveled. Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) does not save the day because she is a woman, she saves the day and just so happens to be a woman."

How is that the road less traveled? How many films are out there in which a woman saves the day "because she is a woman" (how does one assess that anyway?)?

1 hour ago, tawasal said:

You can't really tell whether they pursue this because of their own interest or it's those views they are after, either way they are pathetic. 

The main guy has admitted to exploiting the topic for more views and ad revenue. 

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I disagree with people who say that it doesn't have competition until Dumbo. I'm predicting US to open with 50mil and a 50mil opener that will be pulling adult women and the like away from Captain Marvel is competition to me. I do think that Captain Marvel's legs will be fine though. Not Black Panther fine but Doctor Strange or slightly better fine.

Same here. I keep reading "this will have smooth sailing till Dumbo and Shazam," and I go like, "um, are we really thinking that Us won't make a dent at the box office"? 

6 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

How is that the road less traveled? How many films are out there in which a woman saves the day "because she is a woman" (how does one assess that anyway?)?

Lol right, what does that even mean? She catches people falling off a building with her womb?

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 2

18 minutes ago, a2k said:

After a bad Sun and Mon Maoyan have updated their projection to 940 yuan / $140 total. They were projecting 999 at one point yesterday and 1100+ on day 1 of release.

The CHina thread mentioned that CM had the worst Sunday and Monday drop for superhero films yet, but I wanna know if it is for MCU superhero films or in general.