Eric the Ape

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

I think o/u 150M is going to be the point where meltdowns start to happen. I'd be happy with over Hunger Games, over 160 would be nice. Just is going to be nice to see some life come back to the box office for once after a dismal last few months.

Hell, I'd be cool with Madea opening over 200M if it meant something interesting happened. Could anyone imagine...

30 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

-- POST RESERVED FOR THE NEW NUMBERS THAT WILL SHOW UP OVER THE WEEKEND --

Will you also add OS numbers into the 2nd post?

If yes, shall we ping you when we find something?

1 hour ago, Rthanos said:

Thu looking like

CM 2.1m  , cume 3.6m (Thu + Wed night Prev)

BP 1.753m, cume 2.9m (Thu + Tu/We night prev)

DP OD 2.95m , no previws

SMH 2.84m , no prev - School Hols

Venom 2.5m , no prev

WW 1.1m , no prev , goes on to do 31m

• Like 5

I'm excited to see how Captain Marvel grosses this weekend, and I'm also excited to see how the other films are able to hold this weekend. Hopefully the people who go to the theater when Captain Marvel showings are sold out will decide to see How To Train Your Dragon or Alita: Battle Angel as an alternative.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

$160M but happy with $140M+ 

Some of the early OS numbers are really encouraging (like 600M+ OS encouraging).  

Assuming China doesn't collapse, I'd say $700+ million OS is likely. Captain Marvel seems to be opening higher than Black Panther in most of the major CBM markets so far. 

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Will you also add OS numbers into the 2nd post?

If yes, shall we ping you when we find something?

Yeah, I'm adding OS. Don't have to ping me, just post it in the thread, and I'll probably add it in

• Thanks 1

Regarding meltdowns : Friday being inflated due to Women's Day might lead to higher expectations over the weekend and then Sat Sun might cause some. SMH 2nd day (and 2nd weekend for that matter) did create a lot of noise cause IM probably inflated the OD (and OW).

edit: guess,

23 + 47 + 52 (+11%) + 38 (-27%) = 160 ow (70 od)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

China Box Office: Captain Marvel earns $2.46M / ¥16.5M from midnights. It's 4th best performance for superhero films, only behind Infinity War($9.4M), Ultron($4.79M) & Civil War($2.62M).

$19M final pre-sale. Better than Civil War($17M) & Ultron($16M).

• Like 4

In fact, while Captain Marvel will deliver the first $100+ million debut of 2019 the film will most likely outperform all previous weekends so far this year all on its own, needing $139 million to do so.

Captain Marvel is the latest film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the first to center on a female superhero with Brie Larson starring in the title role. The film will launch in a March record, 4,310 theaters — 3,000+ 3D locations, 400+ IMAX screens, 750+ Premium Large Format screens and 250 D-Box/4D locations — with previews beginning at 6PM on Thursday night. Disney is anticipating a debut around $125+ million, though tracking has been pushing higher all week and we're expecting something a bit higher as well.

Fandango.com reports Captain Marvel is currently the online ticket retailer's biggest advance ticket seller since Avengers: Infinity War at the same point in the sales cycle. Added to that, it is also outpacing Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 at the same point in the sales cycle.

In the end, we're going with what feels like a relatively safe forecast, anticipating a performance around $155 million. However, as the theater count has escalated we can't help but begin to think a performance that reaches has high as $170 million or perhaps even threatens Beauty and the Beast's $174.7 million, record March openingis a possibility.

• Captain Marvel (4,310 theaters) - $155.0 M
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (4,037 theaters) - $16.8 M
  • Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (2,442 theaters) - $11.4 M
  • Alita: Battle Angel (2,374 theaters) - $3.9 M
  • The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2,930 theaters) - $3.6 M
  • Green Book (2,094 theaters) - $3.2 M
  • Fighting with My Family (2,455 theaters) - $3.0 M
  • Greta (2,417 theaters) - $2.3 M
  • Isn't It Romantic (2,223 theaters) - $2.0 M
  • Apollo 11 (405 theaters) - $1.3 M

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4492&p=.htm

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Think 150m is gonna happen, but I feel like some would say a 135m OW as bad or disappointing at this point (which is really silly obviously).

140 would be great. (but I'm hoping for more)

Under 100 would be disappointing after all the hype and tracking and big presales.