Eric the Fall Guy

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i sometimes catch myself thinking about how this gigantic franchise seems to have left no cultural footprint beyond making jlaw a movie star. 

Hard to qualify such things sometime, but wonder if it impacted the rapid raise in archery :

https://geekdad.com/2013/09/archery-americas-fastest-growing-sport/

https://business.realtree.com/business-blog/archery-equipment-market-upward-trend-2016

And Hunger Games is still an somewhat day to day expression..

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Even she is not a big deal much anymore.

Well not unsustainable 2013/14 peak, but there is still no bigger actress

1B6fZw9X5UtY283XJfR_gvm9vrx9nbVMT5Ud5c0R

• ...wtf 1

Without getting into spoilers, there's a couple of things in the film that makes me thinks we could see Ant-Man and the Wasp Redux.  It doesn't feel like your typical Marvel movie -- and that's a good and bad thing, which is why I just don't think we'll have any idea until Saturday.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Easily Spider-Man. Frozen 2 in second place. Then Hobbs and Shaw which people seemed a little confused about.

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Shazam! definitely got a great reaction. Coupled with the social media reactions it got today I can see it breaking out despite the I suppose "low key" marketing WB has done for it.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Spider-Man: Far From Home easily.

EDIT: Oh and Shazam as well. 

Nice. 

Did any of you get anything from Dumbo or Detective Pikachu as well?

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Nice. 

Did any of you get anything from Dumbo or Detective Pikachu as well?

Dumbo was pretty quiet, didn't get Detective Pikachu at my showing.

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Without getting into spoilers, there's a couple of things in the film that makes me thinks we could see Ant-Man and the Wasp Redux.  It doesn't feel like your typical Marvel movie -- and that's a good and bad thing, which is why I just don't think we'll have any idea until Saturday.  

I feel like at least for my audience, this got MUCH bigger reactions than AM&W did at the same showing/theater. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rebeccas said:

I feel like at least for my audience, this got MUCH bigger reactions than AM&W did at the same showing/theater. 

My audience was garbage, tbh.  They LOST IT at a couple of the more obvious things, but it wasn't as rowdy as I've seen that location for an MCU film.  I also wonder if it's cause they just put in recliners, so they cut the sitting in half; which means some of the regulars might've been in a different theater.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

AM&TW had Thur previews during the long 4th of July weekend so many people were off work - hence huge previews in comparison to overall Friday o/w

• Like 2

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

So Civil War is probably going to be the best comparison here, not that leggy and kind of frontloaded?

For OW only yeah maybe even more frontloaded. But past that definitely not. The film is a crowd pleaser and entertaining enough to get decent legs. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

My audience was garbage, tbh.  They LOST IT at a couple of the more obvious things, but it wasn't as rowdy as I've seen that location for an MCU film.  I also wonder if it's cause they just put in recliners, so they cut the sitting in half; which means some of the regulars might've been in a different theater.

Yeah I don't think I've ever had great reactions in theaters with FULL recliners. It's hard to be reactive when you're practically in bed. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

So what's a useful internal multi comp for when we get a final preview number? Civil War seems like a while ago but that had 25m previews, Black Panther more recent but had a big casual factor AND holiday weekend. 

For the March OW Record:

On 3/6/2019 at 12:28 PM, Porthos said:

Well, let's work backward then.  BatB = 174.75m

174.75/8    = 21.844m

174.75/7.5 = 23.300m

174.75/7    = 24.964m

174.75/6.5 = 26.885m

Choose Your Own Adventure from there. :)

@TalismanRing is the expert when it comes to what to expect for multis, so maybe she could chime in with what might be expected as an internal multi?

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

So Civil War is probably going to be the best comparison here, not that leggy and kind of frontloaded?

Or Hunger Games adjusted

Probably not... despite the critical acclaim, public doesn't like CW that much, i remember a lot of reactions from public call it bland, bored, uninspired etc. 

Captain Marvel was only good with critics, but the movie is pure joy, fun to watch, really entertaining... shouldn't have great legs because of the huge debut, but could manage a 2.6 - 2.7x, especially with no big competition.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah I don't think I've ever had great reactions in theaters with FULL recliners. It's hard to be reactive when you're practically in bed. 

:hahaha:

I totally didn't have my recliner up cause it might it harder to flail in my seat.

• ...wtf 1