Eric the Ape

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Infinity War had the legs it had because it was exactly the type of movie that fans of the MCU wanted from it. I know some of my friends who are huge Marvel fans watched that movie 10 times in theaters. Of course that movie tapped into the GA which is how it opened as high it did and made as much money but I can’t say for sure that the GA who didn’t like Marvel, liked IW. There’s no way to actually prove that imo But I do know based on how Marvel fans reacted on here and the people I know in real life who are Marvel fans, really loved IW. And in the end, if the fans loved it, that’s what matters because the MCU has such a large fan base that it’s best to make sure they’re happy so they watch the movies again and again versus making them unhappy (see Age of Ultron :lol:)

You have very rich friends.

I know some of my friends cannot even watch more than 10 movies a year due to bill expenses, family duties, poverty, etc.

• Sad 1

Just now, bcf26 said:

You have very rich friends.

I know some of my friends cannot even watch more than 10 movies a year due to bill expenses, family duties, poverty, etc.

i watch about 100 films a year, record in 2015 where I watched over 150 films in the cinema.  everyone is different & also bear in mind the price of cinema is different for different people

• Like 1

Final weekend numbers Down Under.  Including Wednesday evening previews the cume is now AUD15.1 million.

AUD

A couple of comparisons:

1 1 THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (M), WALT DISNEY [760/ $20,659] 15,700,805 N/A

1 1 CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR (M), WALT DISNEY [674/ $20,715] 13,961,714 N/A

NZD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Sunday $39mn as per current readings.

39*

That's about a 26.4% drop from $53M on Saturday. Pretty typical, but hoping the drop is a little better.

Very by the numbers origin movie which I felt was done much better with Wonder Woman.

The most interesting aspects of the film is the fanservice.

7 /10

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZackM said:

Just got home from Captain Marvel.  It was incredibly generic and a bit cartoonish.  First 3rd of the movie was mind numbingly boring.  I think its relative position in the MCU based on RT score is pretty accurate.  Don't expect the legs to be anything crazy.

Civil War legs will get you $350M Dom. So no, I'm not expecting crazy legs.

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

The fact neonazis trolls completely failed to undermine the movie is extremely enjoyable.

Huge success, very strong numbers!

Nice job Brie Larson!

giphy.gif

Lol. There's a new troll theory that I've read on Twitter. It's that Disney bought out many tickets for the weekend, and that they saw many theaters are not even half full. They're now resorting to conspiracy theories 😅.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

i watch about 100 films a year, record in 2015 where I watched over 150 films in the cinema.  everyone is different & also bear in mind the price of cinema is different for different people

Will you be subscribing to Disney+ to catch the MCU movies once they're out on streaming?

5 hours ago, Slambros said:

Secretariat is a famous race horse from many years ago; I think that's the horse that won the Kentucky Derby. The made a movie about it in 2011.

It was a poor analogy from my part. Basically, Secretariat, no doubt, a beast of a horse, not only won the triple crown in 73, but also broke the records for those tracks that still stand today. Everyone remembers Secretariat, but very few can name the jockey who was riding him and guiding him on his wins, which was Ron Turcotte. It takes a team to help make a fantastic racehorse, and the same can be said about a movie and directors, who very well may have a co-director or even producers behind the real wheel telling them what to do. But the director and actors will get all the recognition and credit in the end.

10 hours ago, AndyK said:

Critics RT score for CM has dropped to 79%.

Is back to 80% with 355 reviews 6.81/10, and top critics 65% with 6.27/10

Audience rose ~ 25% to now 58%, rating ros to 3.2/5

More and more seem to realise the new rule to have to give at least 3.5/5 for a fresh. Old seemingly 3/5 or...???

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

By race - yes.  As a combination, no.

Diversity demos for Captain Marvel are broad: 47% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 12% Asian.

Do you accidenily have the average movie goer splits at hand? I am not at home at the moment, I think 16% African-merican sounds high in releation to 2013 or earlier, not sure about later numbers either

8 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

We also need to in factor in that fangirls and fanboys operate almost on different on planets, so the urgency to see it openly weekend for older women isn't always there.  (Not all of us are like me who's seen it three times already.) I think the Spoiler Factor, and the Needs To Be First For The Hot Takes Factor drive the fanboys more than the fangirls. There's a reason that Wonder Woman had 4X legs.

:hellothere:

6 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Here you have no less than 15 trailers before a movie. And before that atleast 20 min of advertisement. Its FUN

Here (same country) we have also cinemas with only 3 trailers and maybe an ice-cream advertisement. Depends a lot on the cinema owners.

3 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Heads up people @Blankments is quoting old posts again, so if you get a notification from him it's most likely a very old post. 

I know.

I got a lot of likes today for a discussion e.g. with Neo about me thinking there might be a chance Marvel plans to do a more than usual involved thing with Sony for the then in development Spiderman Homcoming movie, based e.g. on release date changes and something Feige mentioned. In March 2015!!!

Totally forgot about that. I think that are the oldest posts I ever got a like (or 10) for

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Do you accidenily have the average movie goer splits at hand? I am not at home at the moment, I think 16% African-merican sounds high in releation to 2013 or earlier, not sure about later numbers either

9 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

MPAA 2017 had in ticket sold

55% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic, 12% African-American, 7% Asian

Wonder woman run

52% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic, 14% African-American, 9% Asian

Diversity demos for Captain Marvel are broad: 47% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 12% Asian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

MPAA 2017 had in ticket sold

55% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic, 12% African-American, 7% Asian

Wonder woman run

52% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic, 14% African-American, 9% Asian

Thank you, that was, what I had in the back of my mind, a number nearish to 10 (ovr 10) and not nearish to 15 (that's how I 'save' roughly in my mind impressions, knowing I have the charts,,, at home)

Yeah, it is rather broad in relation to the average. +5% Asian, +4% African American, -2% Hispanic, -8% Caucasian

Edited by terrestrial

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet since I've been out and about all weekend, but after two days Captain Marvel was the highest grossing 2019 film and after three days it was the highest grossing film of the calendar year (domestically, anyway).

Goddamn this year has been slow up till now :lol:

• Like 1