Eric the Ape

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet since I've been out and about all weekend, but after two days Captain Marvel was the highest grossing 2019 film and after three days it was the highest grossing film of the calendar year (domestically, anyway).

Goddamn this year has been slow up till now :lol:

Current estimates have it 500k short of HTTYD after Sat, no? Close enough it could change with actuals.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Barnack said:

MPAA 2017 had in ticket sold

55% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic, 12% African-American, 7% Asian

Wonder woman run

52% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic, 14% African-American, 9% Asian

Diversity demos for Captain Marvel are broad: 47% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 12% Asian.

Asia (-Japan (and China) has your back MCU.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

37 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

?

Do you accidentally have the average movie goer splits at hand? I am not at home at the moment, I think 16% African-American sounds high in relation to 2013 or earlier, not sure about later numbers either
:hellothere:

I don't have the MPAA breakdown from 2013 and earlier - just 2014-2017

2017 Dem Breakdown in MPAA Report

Population    Moviegoers    Tickets Sold
Caucasian/White           61%           58%                55%
Hispanic/Latino            18%           20%                23%
AA/Black                       12%           13%               12%
Asian/Pacific Islander    6%             6%                 7%
Native American/Other  3%            3%                 3%

MPAA/Comscore for first 2 weeks - only gives top 5

Black/African American % of audiences

SW:TLJ - 11%
Beauty & The Beast - 12%
Wonder Woman - 14%
SM:HC:  13%
GOTG2:   13%

CA:CW: 18%
The Jungle Book: 18%
Secret Life Of Pets - 14%
Finding Dory- 13%
SW:Rogue One - 11%

Furious 7: 22%
AOU: 16%
JW: 16%
Inside Out: 15%
SW: TFA: 12%

2014:
Transformers 4: 22%
GOTG: 19%
CA:TWS: 16%
Mocking Jay P1:14%
LEGO Movie: 12%

Deadline o/w reports- Black Panther 37%   (male/female split also 56/44 for the o/w)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Barnack said:

MPAA 2017 had in ticket sold

55% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic, 12% African-American, 7% Asian

Wonder woman run

52% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic, 14% African-American, 9% Asian

Diversity demos for Captain Marvel are broad: 47% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 12% Asian.

How does this compare to other MCU movies?  The MCU audience is younger than average, so you'd expect it to be more racially diverse. Nvm, just saw the breakdown post.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

How does this compare to other MCU movies?  The MCU audience is younger than average, so you'd expect it to be more racially diverse.

MPAA/Comscore

AOU:  50% Caucasian, 20% Hispanic, 16% African-American, 10% Asian, 5% NA & Other

CA: CW :  48% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic, 18% African-American, 9% Asian, 4% NA & Other

SM:HC:  51% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 13% African-American, 10% Asian, 5% NA & Other

GOTG 2:  58% Caucasian, 17% Hispanic, 13% African-American, 7% Asian, 4% NA & Other

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

How does this compare to other MCU movies?  The MCU audience is younger than average, so you'd expect it to be more racially diverse.

Some data TalismanRing just posted, as it was so time-near, maybe you missed the post?

MCU audience see CM is at lest prtly rather older. Here in my country too

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Current estimates have it 500k short of HTTYD after Sat, no? Close enough it could change with actuals.

Ah fuck. Dunno how I missed that. IGNORE ME (till it goes up with actuals 👀).

27 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

so yeah a couple literally ran out the theater today because according to security a female was getting fingered and the couple fled before getting arrested

Is this during CM showing? What's a scene in CM that can be viewed as erotic? Lol

21 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Asia (-Japan (and China) has your back MCU.

As much as I want to side-eye China for not giving any MCU films a breakout run, to be fair to them, no MCU movie since 2015 has ever grossed less than $100M. That is still a win for the MCU. It's not that easy to have a guaranteed $100M floor in an international market. I just wish that an MCU movie will breakout in China like Venom and Aquaman one of these days.

9 minutes ago, UserHN said:

As much as I want to side-eye China for not giving any MCU films a breakout run, to be fair to them, no MCU movie since 2015 has ever grossed less than $100M. That is still a win for the MCU. It's not that easy to have a guaranteed $100M floor in an international market. I just wish that an MCU movie will breakout in China like Venom and Aquaman one of these days.

China: A:IW = $359,543,153

What I wrote about in International was about solo MCUs

Edited by terrestrial

Just now, terrestrial said:

China: A:IW = $359,543,153

What Iwrote about in International way about Solo MCUs

More like $380m or so

BOM doing that screwy thing with conversion rates so the longer a movie stays in theaters and makes money the more it loses when conversion rates go down

• Like 2

China top 10 CBMs

1. TA3
  2. AQM
  3. Venom
  4. TA2
  5. CW
  6. CM
  7. AM2
  8. SMH
  9. THOR3
  10. JL/BP (am not sure)

So CM did very well. Folks maybe find it tough give AQM and Venom their due so they create a narrative where every other major CBM should do those huge numbers. But half of AQM and Venom is also very good for solo non-sequel SHs.

• Like 4
    • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

More like $380m or so

BOM doing that screwy thing with conversion rates so the longer a movie stays in theaters and makes money the more it loses when conversion rates go down

Yeah, I know, it annoyes the sh... aehm..  very much

I think he/she wrote his post after reading in International CM.

I wrote ~ The most of the MCUs recently released get in China $100m+ to around $115 (beside Ant-Man & Wasp, $125m), He wrote than the $100m+ and this here

I just wish that an MCU movie will breakout in China like Venom and Aquaman one of these days.

A: IW did a 'breakout', no matter if we'd use BOM down-changed numbers or the then actual numbers.

Venom acc BOM $272,243,405 = less