Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

Us and Captain Marvel's success and the impending breakouts (to some degree) of Dumbo, Shazam, and Pet Sematary are a firm reminder than the hand-wringing panic of January and February 2019 should be put to bed - the box office ain't dead and it won't be anytime soon. We just need compelling movies. 

• Like 9

It's just scary how facts are not facts any more, but rather simply opinions and phrases that people can choose and pick to fit their own narrative. Captain Marvel made a lot of money. Some people liked it. Other people didn't like it. Either way, both groups are probably excited for Endgame. I don't really see what's so complicated there. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, diddykongracing128 said:

evidence of empty seats from twitter and youtube videos. who should i trust...hmm

What does that mean, does anyone think they were no empty seats in an over 10,000 screens release ?

• Haha 2

What a great weekend for Us. It's so nice to see an original auteur film given tentpole status, and to see it succeed. I didn't like Get Out but looking forward to seeing this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Us and Captain Marvel's success and the impending breakouts (to some degree) of Dumbo, Shazam, and Pet Sematary are a firm reminder than the hand-wringing panic of January and February 2019 should be put to bed - the box office ain't dead and it won't be anytime soon. We just need compelling movies. 

Pretty much this exactly. Sure Glass didn't perform to expectations and LEGO basically flopped, but I didn't really get why people were suddenly terrified that 2019 would disappoint.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Can we stop trying to convince people to love or hate a movie? 

Can we stop putting down other people that hate/love what we love/hate just because of that reason? 

Can we stop speaking for every moviegoer in the world and dictating what must be this and that? 

Has anyone ever did that ? Because yes stop them, but I doubt that ever happened

Just now, Mulder said:

Pretty much this exactly. Sure Glass didn't perform to expectations and LEGO basically flopped, but I didn't really get why people were suddenly terrified that 2019 would disappoint.

The summer/fall/winter all look massive, and spring is really starting to step up. Could be record setting Mays, Octobers, August, Novembers.... To me, looking ahead at the year, January and February were clearly the weakspot and bound to be a flop no matter what. Then again, my predictions for Glass and Lego Movie were (not to brag) much, much lower than the average person on here, so I can see how that hurt if your expectations were too high. Shit, Upside, Dragon, and Alita performed much BETTER than I expected going into the year.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Has anyone ever did that ? Because yes stop them, but I doubt that ever happened

It just all happened in this thread alone. one group likes a certain movie and another dislikes that movie and they are both trying to convince each other that their opinion is invalid. And one says that people who liked certain movies shouldn't have an opinion. Or someone saying that some people loved a movie just because they wanted to. 

The prominent weekends this year that look like they are hurting are the July 12th weekend (though the box office really might need time to breathe by this point, especially since it revs up again), August 9th (unless you're kidding yourself about Artemis Fowl - Dora or New Mutants should move here), and most especially  November 1st, which is a huge great weekend that is dying on the vine with Charlie's Angels and Terminator looking like potential/likely flops. November 8th was really hurting too until Doctor Sleep moved in - I think that breaks out, though I'm not sure about Sonic. Christmas Day itself is in need of some big releases, since Star Wars/Cats/Jumanji will have already been out - I guess they can market Little Women and Call of the Wild as big events.

This year could in the end recover from a weak, weak start to set another overall record.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Box office would do way better if Regal and Cinemark did real passes like Alist. 

Alamo Drafthouse is starting one so hopefully the other chains will follow suit.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The summer/fall/winter all look massive, and spring is really starting to step up. Could be record setting Mays, Octobers, August, Novembers.... To me, looking ahead at the year, January and February were clearly the weakspot and bound to be a flop no matter what. Then again, my predictions for Glass and Lego Movie were (not to brag) much, much lower than the average person on here, so I can see how that hurt if your expectations were too high. Shit, Upside, Dragon, and Alita performed much BETTER than I expected going into the year.

Upside was a minor break-out and HTTYD3 is doing really well and might end up passing HTTYD2 if it keeps having small drops like it's having. Not to mention while Glass somewhat underperformed, for it's budget it did really good. Also agree that January and February were the clear weak points in the year, everything after this is going to be uphill besides June and August imo (For new openers, there might be some great legs for the May and July openers).

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Even stuff like Dragon, Alita, Upside, Madea and Escape Room all did better than tracking suggested.  I loved Glass and enjoyed the hell out of Lego Movie, but in hindsight it's not hard to see why they underperformed to the extent that they did

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Alamo Drafthouse is starting one so hopefully the other chains will follow suit.

Upside was a minor break-out and HTTYD3 is doing really well and might end up passing HTTYD2 if it keeps having small drops like it's having. Not to mention while Glass somewhat underperformed, for it's budget it did really good. Also agree that January and February were the clear weak points in the year, everything after this is going to be uphill besides June and August imo (For new openers, there might be some great legs for the May and July openers).

June I definitely agree looks a little bare - Toy Story 4 and Pets should both be big but with big drops, and Anabelle and Child's Play could hurt each other. I'm on record as saying that Dark Phoenix is the biggest flop of the year. MIB International might do well with good reviews but its not gonna do THAT well. Then again....I think Godzilla and Rocketman should both do well and those are as close as you can get to being June releases without being June releases. Imagine how much better the month would look if Zilla/Rocket/Ma were technically considered June releases. 

October looks like the most obvious record-breaking month of the year to me, though I guess technically with Endgame/Shazam/Pet Sematary/Hellboy April is just as obvious of a contender to do it.

Is it right to say because of the dropping sales of comic books means that the MCU will also drop? CBM aren't any longer just for CB fans but for a larger audience that don't read the B's. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I saw that. I'm moving from the UK to Washington, definitely getting Alist for myself. One classic and one AMC dine both about 20 mins away from where I plan on living.

I hope more follow out. Sinemia and Movie Pass actually dying would help force them to do it.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

June I definitely agree looks a little bare - Toy Story 4 and Pets should both be big but with big drops, and Anabelle and Child's Play could hurt each other. I'm on record as saying that Dark Phoenix is the biggest flop of the year. MIB International might do well with good reviews but its not gonna do THAT well. Then again....I think Godzilla and Rocketman should both do well and those are as close as you can get to being June releases without being June releases. Imagine how much better the month would look if Zilla/Rocket/Ma were technically considered June releases. 

October looks like the most obvious record-breaking month of the year to me, though I guess technically with Endgame/Shazam/Pet Sematary/Hellboy April is just as obvious of a contender to do it.

April and May are going to be absolutely insane this year. Also yeah I agree that June will mainly be boosted by the legs from Godzilla and Rocketman (Potentially @Rocketman we'll see if it gets the same GA love BR got). MIB International and the animated duo of TS4 and Pets are the three most likely candidates to save June because Dark Phoenix certainly won't.