Eric is Quiet

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

Love how the first shot conveys such a visceral sense of claustrophobia, just for the frame to OPEN UP in the grandest way possible in the very next shot. This could be bad, but at least it’ll still be - at worst - interesting.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

If it gets positive enough reception and preferably some Cannes award, it'll probably find US distribution.

theres absolutely no way a 120 million budgeted American movie doesnt find a us distributor, it might not be under the terms coppola wanted, but the possibility that it simply doesn't get a US release doesnt exist

Posted (edited)

1) The lighting screws mid 2000s Fox tv show, can't believe how cheap it looks.

2) 100% believe all of this "WHAT IS THIS?! ITS TOO DIFFERENT" crap is just a PR grab to assist with appears will be a challenging marketing campaign. 

Edited by excel1
  • ...wtf 1

The trailer sorta reminds me of the worldbending hooks that Inception promoted itself with. I guess we'll find out soon enough just how hard a sell it really is but given how much buzz it's generated online just via the "hard sell" discourse, I suspect it really won't be as much of one as people think. There is clearly something of a built in fanboy audience for this as it were where being a "hard sell" movie makes them feel smart for "getting it"

Posted (edited)

Not sure what mid-2000 TV movies you refer to, guys, do you have a link to compare? Because it looks more like early 2000 big budget movies with piss filter like Swordfish, which actually makes sense here because Megalopolis had references to 9/11.

Edited by Firepower

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Not sure what mid-2000 TV movies you refer to, guys, do you have a link to compare? Because it looks more like early 2000 big budget movies with piss filter like Swordfish, which actually makes sense here because Megalopolis had references to 9/11.

I think this was actually filmed simultaneously to this scene:

cry-crying.gif

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

The trailer sorta reminds me of the worldbending hooks that Inception promoted itself with. I guess we'll find out soon enough just how hard a sell it really is but given how much buzz it's generated online just via the "hard sell" discourse, I suspect it really won't be as much of one as people think. There is clearly something of a built in fanboy audience for this as it were where being a "hard sell" movie makes them feel smart for "getting it"

Yep, reminds me of Inception as well. But it's much easier to sell a movie to audiences with Leo DiCaprio compared to Adam Driver. 

Posted (edited)

I tried to look up any previous quote about the movie and the closest quote I can find to indicate Drivers character having literal fucking superpowers is a comment about how "coppola is using the type of visuals usually in superhero blockbusters" but I thought that was just like the technological side, the Volume/green screen etc with a big budget not that the movie involved TIME TRAVEL

Edited by SpiderByte

Posted (edited)

I mean, I like the fact that it DOESN'T look like the "default 2020s" cinematographic filter. Hopefully they don't go the "REAL IS BROWN" or "everything should have zero lighting" trends. To me, this does not look like a super high concept film. Certainly more accesible than something like Poor Things or a lot of A24 films.

Also if we're going by the "advance reviews/screenings mean its gonna bomb!" metric.....hoo boy, is that a stupid and innacurate way to measure a film's potential impact.

Edited by MightyDargon
  • Like 2

On 5/4/2024 at 11:32 AM, SpiderByte said:

I'll admit "architect vs mayor and the architect can...stop time?" Isn't the easiest pitch to audiences. I think it'll do great with critics but I don't see a ton of wide appeal

I think he can only stop time in his own mind.

What is interesting is that  I got a feeling Coppola is not going for a simplitic "Heoric Artist against all the Suits" sooryline but something much more complex.

If the Archticet really is modeled after Rober Moses, thant that is out the window, given all the bad crap we know about the way Moses operated.

But the cinema of that clip is pure genius. The use of the sound  to increse the tension is pure Coppola, remember how he used the sound of the passing elevated train to increase the tension in the  scene in "THe GOdfather" where Michael kills Sollazo and McLC uskey?

• Like 1