cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

One thing that hit me in the first Shazam and that seems to continue in Shazam 2 is that Billy the kid is totally different personality wise from the adult Billy when he transforms into Shazam even though they are supposed to be the same person.

Might move

The Batgirl news comes ahead of Warner Bros. Discovery’s earnings call Thursday, with rumors swirling that Warners is considering moving the release dates for two of its upcoming films — Shazam! Fury of the Gods (currently slated for Dec. 21) and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (currently set for March 17, 2023).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/batgirl-hbo-max-movie-dc-canceled-1235191932/

Edited by John Marston

Now rumors WB might be moving SHazam 2 from December to sometime in the spring of 2023.

with the usual it is just a rumor and should be regarded skeptically statement, Warners is going to release this when it thinks it willl make the most money. If they think a Holiday opening will not make up for opening against Avatar 2, they will change the opening date. 

I think this getting Aquaman 2's release date would actually be a good choice. Shazam wouldn't get any of the PLFs in December, so while it obviously wouldn't gross as low, it would be like Matrix Resurrections where it loses a big revenue source because the big dog is taking up all the major IMAX/Dolby showtimes. March is still pretty competitive, and Haunted Mansion could be stronger than expected direct competition, but it's still no Avatar.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

I think this getting Aquaman 2's release date would actually be a good choice. Shazam wouldn't get any of the PLFs in December, so while it obviously wouldn't gross as low, it would be like Matrix Resurrections where it loses a big revenue source because the big dog is taking up all the major IMAX/Dolby showtimes. March is still pretty competitive, and Haunted Mansion could be stronger than expected direct competition, but it's still no Avatar.

To add on to the PLFs - it's also a family friendly super...and there's already a 2nd family friendly movie coming out - Puss in Boots.

And Black Adam is out less than 2 months prior and Black Panther is one month prior, so you're the 3rd super in a row...

And macro talk - it's gonna be an expensive winter in Europe...and who knows what happens to a movie going habit there when energy and food is so pricey - or even if they keep movie theaters open or save the energy (looking at you, Germany, for things you're already closing now)...you have to look at worldwide revenue, and I don't know what this winter will bring for that...

54 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Put DC out of its misery. This is just sad and embarrassing 

I think moving SHAZAM 2 to a date which WB thinks will maximaze it's profits is just good business.

They can't afford to throw away revenue just for the sake of trying to compete with Avatar 2, frankly.

Edited by dudalb

34 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

I'd much rather take my chances with Ant Man 3 than Avatar 2

Agreed, and I am not an  Avatar fanboy.

I supsect they will pick a date for Shazam 2 that minimized competion. The goal is to bring in every possible buck . Warners will be in this mode for some time, until the debt crisis is over..and that will take some time.

3 hours ago, p a p i said:

I think you're missing the point Zaslav is making about streaming.

That aside, it also makes me wonder how they might be tweaking the movies, specifically The Flash and Aquaman 2, with their links to the DCEU multiverse or whatever. They may want the Flash to come out before Aquaman 2 now, due to certain plot points/characters? The whole thing is so messy, I'm glad I'm not following these developments closely - I would do cross-eyed.