cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Ignoring what I already said about how it’s stupid to blame him for this movie’s failure, I was referring more to this general tendency WB seems to have of going after people they formerly worked with. They did it with Snyder and now they’re doing it with Dwayne Johnson. It strikes me as a rather bizarre tactic that could potentially make others less willing to work with the company. Seriously, are they gonna do this with James Gunn too if the DCU isn’t as successful as they’re hoping?

I don't see them going after Snyder; as for Johnson, he started it by bad mouthed Warner's mamagement over the failure of Black Adam, and Warners responding in kind.

You think people would have learned from what happened to Josh Trank.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't see them going after Snyder; as for Johnson, he started it by bad mouthed Warner's mamagement over the failure of Black Adam, and Warners responding in kind.

You think people would have learned from what happened to Josh Trank.

How did he “bad mouthed Warner’s management?” 

43 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Holy shit Levi just went on instagram and started talking about the post credit scene and how their original plan was thwarted. Wild stuff

Link is hidden as the tweet to the vid have some spoilers in the caption

Someone needs to tell him to log off

Hey, it's over as far as box office goes for Shazam 2:It's a bomb.

DC Studios seem to have endless problems putting out a decent sequel. In fact I think as far as box office goes, last really sucessful direct sequel they had was Dark Knight Rises.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Holy shit Levi just went on instagram and started talking about the post credit scene and how their original plan was thwarted. Wild stuff

Link is hidden as the tweet to the vid have some spoilers in the caption

What exactly is he doing here? He says he isn't blaming anybody for how well or not well the film did, so why is he ranting about this? Just really sounds like he's having a complete meltdown on socials, between rock trying to prove black adam did well through bogus financials and this the shazam universe sure has been delivering on drama. There's not even a point to him ranting here, it's not like the post credit scene being different would've made a lick of a difference here regardless.

That aside, it's pretty ridicolous that they let Rock have that much control, but it's just another in a long list of DCEU fuckups anyway.

You know what, I’m in the camp of “this was actually pretty fun!” Definitely agree with the RT consensus that it’s less focused than the first. And it’s got some dumb moments for sure, but it’s also a hell of a lot of fun (and surprisingly a good amount of the humour lands) so the dumb stuff doesn’t stick out as much as it did in Black Adam.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

These are lies though, lmao.

WBD made $13.3 billion in 2021. Almost double their profits from 2019.

They just have massive debt. They're making money hand over fist.

Not sure how you are getting the $13.3B and doubling 2019 numbers. 

In 2021 EBITDA was $10.5B when using Pro Forma Combined numbers, should be noted 2022 was down fairly significantly to $9.2B.

Screen-Shot-2023-03-24-at-9-10-20-PM.png

source (Page 6): https://s201.q4cdn.com/336605034/files/doc_financials/2022/q4/WBD-4Q22-Earnings-Release-Final-02.23.23.pdf

Discovery in 2019 had an OBIDA (slightly different from EBITDA but should be in the same ballpark) of $4.7B. 

Screen-Shot-2023-03-24-at-9-10-51-PM.png

source (Page 1): https://corporate.discovery.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Discovery-Inc.-Q4-2019-Earnings-Release.pdf

WarnerMedia under AT&T in 2019 had an EBITDA of $9.3B. 

Screen-Shot-2023-03-24-at-9-11-11-PM.png

source (Page 22): https://investors.att.com/~/media/Files/A/ATT-IR-V2/financial-reports/annual-reports/2019/complete-2019-annual-report.pdf

So comparing 2019, 2021 and 2022:

2019: $14B from $44.6B Revenue

2021: $10.5B from $45.3B Revenue 

2022: $9.2B from $43.1B Revenue

When both top and bottom line are going down that is not a good sign, however it may just be that WBD was paying down a bunch of debt ~$7B at the end of last year since taking over Warner in April and thus their services were less attractive to consumers. However there are some negative trends in cord cutting and advertising that may mean that things will continue to get worse, especially as Warner has been struggling to offset traditional losses in revenue with new DTC revenue, but I guess just have to wait and see how things play out. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

DC Studios seem to have endless problems putting out a decent sequel. In fact I think as far as box office goes, last really sucessful direct sequel they had was Dark Knight Rises.

Yeah. It’s actually quite bizarre at this point — they’ve put out several solid first entries in the same time frame.

7 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Zach is amazingly based 

Debased is more like it. He's getting dangerously close to Control Your Narrative "truth telling". Can't wait for him to start pretending he's Tyler Durden and saying Shazam will enact Project Mayhem to save the world.

I think if there was no DC reboot and Shazam got his cameo in Black Adam, this still would have dropped from the 1st film due to poor marketing and worse reception, but probably would break even at the least ($250-300m globally).