sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

I don't get why some people were predicting the normal MCU bumps and drops for this behemoth. There really isn't nothing to compare to this movie's remarkable opening weekend performance or maybe it's entire run. You don't just open to 357m, and that's over 100m the previous opening weekend record and expect similar drops such as AIW or the first Avengers movie or even Black Panther. So the people that were expecting this movie to behave anything like those movies were setting themselves up for minor meltdowns. So lower your expectations for Saturday and Sunday. 

• Like 2

The Big 4 of Disney, A:EG, TLK, Frozen 2 and SW:TRS might cross $3 Billion on their own when no studio has grossed $2.5 Billion till date. ffs Captain Marvel might end up as below average Disney film in 2019, ignoring Pennguins and I don't think any non-Disney film is beating CM this year.

• Haha 4

Still a phenomenal number that its doing 600m+ in 10 days. Its playing so saturated that increases will be muted. As I keep saying IMAX and PLF have been super strong through out the week. They dont have much room to increase. Plus it cannot sustain audience playing in so many screens.

I think 145-150m will happen. Sunday drop will be lot harsher than last week as there is little spillover effect at this point and late sunday gross will be shit.

TFA could still be in play(I dont believe it will beat) but it should hit 900m Domestic for sure. WW Avatar is toast. Not sure about Avatar OS. Need to see how it is doing next week post all the holidays this week. Lots of markets including china, russia and even Japan will fall off the cliff post holidays.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Disney right now reading the comments that Endgame will have to settle for #2 DOM instead of beating their other #1 movie 

woody harrelson crying GIF

Why do people always have to react like this? Yes, Disney are rolling in dough, no shit. But some of us want to see this reach #1. That's it. It's not about the actual money and the profit (it's insane whether it falls short or not). It's about that #1 spot. Why is it so hard for the people who automatically become dismissive with reactions such as yours to understand why some of us are more interested in the record ESPECIALLY when the numbers are so big that it's all gravy? At this point, that race with TFA is pretty much the most interesting aspect of EG's run for a lot of us. 

• Like 4

Slightly disappointed Endgame went down from the early 144M number. At this point I’m hoping for the 2nd weekend record. 

Also disappointed with Long Shot dropping. Everything I hear is that it’s great, and great movies deserve great box office. But it did 3.7M equivalent at my theatre yesterday so I’m glad my system had a win at least.

Edited by DAJK

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Still a phenomenal number that its doing 600m+ in 10 days. Its playing so saturated that increases will be muted. As I keep saying IMAX and PLF have been super strong through out the week. They dont have much room to increase. Plus it cannot sustain audience playing in so many screens.

I think 145-150m will happen. Sunday drop will be lot harsher than last week as there is little spillover effect at this point and late sunday gross will be shit.

TFA could still be in play(I dont believe it will beat) but it should hit 900m Domestic for sure. WW Avatar is toast. Not sure about Avatar OS. Need to see how it is doing next week post all the holidays this week. Lots of markets including china, russia and even Japan will fall off the cliff post holidays.

thank you , why people just cant stop  and just wait and see nothing is over yet, i dont care that much but its annoying 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Why do people always have to react like this? Yes, Disney are rolling in dough, no shit. But some of us want to see this reach #1. That's it. It's not about the actual money and the profit (it's insane whether it falls short or not). It's about that #1 spot. Why is it so hard for the people who automatically become dismissive with reactions such as yours to understand why some of us are more interested in the record ESPECIALLY when the numbers are so big that it's all gravy? At this point, that race with TFA is pretty much the most interesting aspect of EG's run for a lot of us. 

Bingo. The dismissive attitudes that some people take towards wanting to see certain milestones passed can be really grating.      

This is is all a spectator sport in the end, once certain benchmarks are Locked to fall you need to move on to harder ones to keep things interesting.           

TFA was and still is an extremely natural goal for Endgame after the OW. If it falls short that will be a bit of an anti-climax. Nothing to do with how big the number is in a vacuum.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The Big 4 of Disney, A:EG, TLK, Frozen 2 and SW:TRS might cross $3 Billion on their own when no studio has grossed $2.5 Billion till date. ffs Captain Marvel might end up as below average Disney film in 2019, ignoring Pennguins and I don't think any non-Disney film is beating CM this year.

Don’t underestimate Sonic.

Hobbs and Shaw too. Superhero movies are the in right now after all.

• Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Dude, it was a joke. I would also prefer if Endgame would cross TFA and rooting for it. 

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Penguins still have a chance to pull those late legs 

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

Don’t underestimate Sonic.

Hobbs and Shaw too. Superhero movies are the in right now after all.

Isn't Sonic from a huge backlash from the design, and then to make matters worse, the director acknowledges they fucked up. The best recipe for failure in play there. 

Avengers: Endgame’ Mows Down ‘Long Shot’, ‘Intruder’ & ‘UglyDolls’ With $148M+

4th Update/writethru, 2nd Saturday AM post

$148.5M s

41.2 friday

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Isn't Sonic from a huge backlash from the design, and then to make matters worse, the director acknowledges they fucked up. The best recipe for failure in play there. 

The biggest worry for Sonic is going to be the budget increase from the redesign if Paramount is actually redesigning Sonic. Sonic was already going to have a tough time with Frozen 2 coming two weeks after. The last thing it needed was to increase the budget from 90 million, which is already too high.

2 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

The biggest worry for Sonic is going to be the budget increase from the redesign if Paramount is actually redesigning Sonic. Sonic was already going to have a tough time with Frozen 2 coming two weeks after. The last thing it needed was to increase the budget from 90 million, which is already too high.

Yeah, it seems like the movie is doing whatever it takes to increase its budget and also insuring it bombs along the way too. I don't really know what the expectation for it domestic take is in here, but I wouldn't expect more 100m. 

• Like 1

Other Non-Disney 2019 movies that have a chance at $400m DOM, along with my actual prediction (might be missing something): 

- Jumanji 3 (Jumanji 2 surprised everyone and did $404m): $360m

- Joker (Trailer was huge and if it is good then this will blow up): $330m

- Spider-Man: Far From Home (another MCU lol): $355m

- Secret Life of Pets 2 (This is destined to decline but we can't ignore the $370m that first one did): $280m

- Cats: $455m (Nah just joking...)

Honorable mentions: 

- It: Chapter 2

- Pika Pika (This has no chance)

Can't remember anything else

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think it's going below 44 though. That's the minimum I have. 44 I will go with.

Oof

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire