sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Shazam will go down as one of the most unfortunate release dates in history at this point. Not even sure if it will hit 140, maybe Pika double features can get the job done.

Not counting the early previews, 140M would mean 2.6x leg, not that bad all things considered really. 

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I actually dont see a MCU movie on the horizon that could top JW's 652M in the nearer future.

Well, there’s always this Tuesday 😛      

But after that yeah, gonna be a good while. BP2 and next teams movie seem only decent shots.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

What the hell is going on here? It lost 1000 theaters this weekend, there's no other Paramount release, and yet it's up 50% from last Friday. :wacko: Gotta be a mistake, but BOP and BOM are both reporting that.

Pet Semetary's Friday gross is greater than Shazam's, talk about a comeback :P 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

I wonder how well Wonder Woman 1984 will do with how good Captain Marvel is doing. $400m+ dom again? Or Deadpool 2 drop?

I can see $400M DOM especially of how weak the summer of 2020 looks.

Serious question - how on Earth can Endgame’s chances at TFA be dead after a slightly below expected Friday number along with the fact that the weekend hasn’t even taken shape yet? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Judging by how estimates fell, looks like late shows did poorly.  Guessing people aren't into getting out at midnight from a 9:00 show.  Hopefully that means that Saturday and Sunday will be comparatively stronger.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Shazam will go down as one of the most unfortunate release dates in history at this point. Not even sure if it will hit 140, maybe Pika double features can get the job done.

It also had a pretty non-existent ad campaign

1 minute ago, jaybox said:

Serious question - how on Earth can Endgame’s chances at TFA be dead after a slightly below expected Friday number along with the fact that the weekend hasn’t even taken shape yet? 

Because it needed a gross closer to 160M+ for the weekend to still have a solid chance at TFA's total. The biggest hurdle for Endgame was always the 2nd set of weekdays for TFA, where Endgame will loose most of its lead. And the weeks coming will give Endgame way harder competition than TFA had in its later run.

So yeah a 40M+ Friday and a possible 147-155M 2nd weekend are absolutely great. But maybe not great enough to catch TFA DOM at this point.

• Like 2

TFA didn't have such an onslaught of competition in the upcoming weeks either. Summer 2019 really is a bloodbath, I think at this point July 12 is the only weekend without any film with $50m+ OW potential until August 9 (but June 14 looks pretty dead right now too)

• Like 1

The last update I got was 7PM PT. Going by that, the normal easing from 1st Friday to 2nd Friday would have lead to $45mn+.

Ffs it was as frontloaded during the day as Captain Marvel 1st Friday. Now I didn't get full hourly breakdown for today to analyse, may be @RtheEnd may/might elaborate, on whether it was pre-sale heavy in morning or night show were shit.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jaybox said:

They aren’t. Off a 165M weekend the odds would be pretty good, off 150 it needs better late legs than IW but that’s very much a possibility.

• Like 1