sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

It is three hours, folks. It isn’t exactly easy to sneak in another showing on the fly.  

(Especially when your IMAX has the 3D showing at 7:30, so going at 12 or 4 totally fucks up your day 🤬🤬)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cory said:

So Endgame domestic will finish around TDK admissions, just ahead of TA1.

It’s going to pass both these movie by this weekend? The dark knight isnt even in the same playing field as Endgame. Endgame will end up with more admissions than Avatar. Only behind TFA by the time it’s through.

Edited by KJsooner
  • Thanks 1

Just now, captainwondyful said:

It is three hours, folks. It isn’t exactly easy to sneak in another showing on the fly.  

(Especially when your IMAX has the 3D showing at 7:30, so going at 12 or 4 totally fucks up your day 🤬🤬)

This. I want to see Endgame in theaters again but am unlikely to since I don't have the time.

• Thanks 1

IW was spectacularly paced with a magnificent ending. An absolutely propulsive smash-and-grab with great humor, character moments, and emotion throughout, that also managed to develop a great antagonist.     

Endgame has 3 pretty different acts that are each great in their own way, and really takes its time to wallow in some stuff, with great callbacks and a sense of finality.      

So, it’s pretty hard to compare them. IW is the better movie if you don’t consider the finale factor of Endgame, but I’m not sure that’s a good way to go about it.     

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 3

I think that many people will agree with my assessment. IW it's just better in every respect: a) Thanos, a great  villain, as good as Darth Vader. b) Great action set-pieces where the viewer clearly understands what is going on and with real consequences. c) Great management of several characters. d) Better pacing. e) Better dialogues, script and jokes. f) Much better CGI. 

Endgame, even though adequate in itself, feels more like an anti-climax by comparison. I am sure many viewers agree with this evaluation. 

Edit: The reduction of Thor into a comic relief cliche doesn't help either. 

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Some of the concern trolling going on is pretty amusing. The film is going to finish north of 800 DOM and will become the #1 film ever WW. Who fucking cares if it doesn't have the best legs in the world, IT HAD A 357 MILLION OPENING AND WAS THE CONCLUSION OF 21 PREVIOUS MOVIES + THE BIGGEST CINEMATIC CLIFFHANGER MAYBE EVER.

And @Thrylos 7, you are still a delusional idiot if you think Infinity War's legs weren't good. Period. "Oh it broke the OW record and it didn't make 700", so your expectation of good legs was for a film built as a sequel to 18 previous movies was for it to perform like a non-sequel such as Avengers and Guardians? Kay.

That bolded bit, you evidently haven't seen Baahubali I take it? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

Are people really surprised by Avengers legs? It's a 3 hours film with a 357 million OW coming off a huge cliff hanger and the 22nd film in a series and to fully understand and appreciate the movie you need to have seen most of them. People really thought it was going to have a 2.7 multiplier? lo.

Doesn't mean the film wasn't very well liked.  I mean Infinity War didn't even make 700 million but people expected Endgame to make 950? lolol 

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

That's like saying DH2 was good only because of DH1. Incredibly inaccurate

No, it works in this case. 2015-2017 it felt like the MCU had a ceiling again and TA was an anomaly. Homecoming and Ragnarok breathed some life back with their team-up strategy but BP is when things blew up again. This fed directly into IW which had a shocking ending driving anticipation for Endgame. 

Endgame according to this chart has already sold more tickets than The Dark Knight. Granted, I know it’s probably not entirely accurate. But, Endgame still has a ways to go before it’s run is done. Endgame will comfortably beat TDK in admissions.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1

Edited by KJsooner

Unless it starts to hold well from now on Endgame’s legs look to be flat out poor. I mean nothing negotiable about that. Of course nothing to lose sleep over but it looked like 900m was locked after that opening 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KJsooner said:

Endgame according to this chart has already sold more tickets than The Dark Knight. Granted, I know it’s probably not entirely accurate. But, Endgame still has a ways to go before it’s run is done. Endgame will comfortably beat TDK in admissions.

Endgame is only around 58-60M right now. 

• Knock It Off 1