sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

16 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

If it did mediocre every weekend and ended at 853 sure. But if it has some good holds and gets a final late bump from FFH (4-5 million over 3 weeks) 875 is more likely. A lot easier to hit it then.

Regardless the memorial Day forecast listed for passing Avatar is dead. 

I agree that is going to pass Avatar. I just thought it would be a lot easier to do so. But I've been saying right since the first weekend that Avatar is toast and I'm not going back on that.

• Like 1

so Flopachu has made its budget back in its opening weekend. I think Warners will be okay.

hopefully it drops like a rock after this so it can't beat Warcraft!

• Knock It Off 1

I don't think that Pikachu drop is unreasonable.  Other comps from recent years:

-Rampage dropped 19% on Mother's Day last year

-King Arthur dropped 16%

-Jungle Book dropped 2%

-Zootopia dropped 12%

None of them are perfect comparisons, but they do suggest that an 18% drop is far more likely to stay than it isn't

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2

Even though what it's just a blip on the box office map, next weekend is a holiday weekend in Canada. It doesn't really seem to be reflected that much in the Sunday or the Monday numbers but the drops next Sunday could be a little bit less than normal.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually lesser, we have to minus out Japan's total, which the film opened there last week

But would it still count in the worldwide number lol

shazam japan released 2 weeks after and the opening was 1.7 million 

hardly any difference 

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I really wanted to watch Endgame but I just can't, 3 hours is way too long for me, it's offputting..I'm quite hyperactive so being sit that long is pure pain...why the hell did they feel the need to do this?

It'll be easier to watch on Blu-Ray, at least I can have a break after I saw the 1st half of the movie.

I'll watch Detective pikachu instead, easier.

don't feel too bad it's not great

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I agree that is going to pass Avatar. I just thought it would be a lot easier to do so. But I've been saying right since the first weekend that Avatar is toast and I'm not going back on that.

Agreed it's just going to drag for an additional 2-3 weeks and we get to hear from avatar and titanic trolls about the failing to do so. 

I'd love to see 900 million but that's feels about as dead as Avatars WW is.

So, I had Endgame with $148.5M 2nd weekend and $70M 3rd weekend when I predicted the weekend prior...not too shabby...so why not predict the 4th weekend today?:).  

If it gets $63M...I think next weekend will finally show a decent hold, and I'm betting on $36M (or a 43% drop).  I'm seeing it hold a lot of the same showings/screens as May 3rd openers all get dropped for the May 17 ones (maybe Longshot stays around, but the other 2 are toast), and nothing getting more than single screened as an opener.  If that changes, I might change my thoughts, but I think it's a good time for the movie to start to settle...

It's probably a little too optimistic, but I think it's doable...and I haven't been overly optimistic on the movie holds yet, so I'm allowed to be now:)...