That One Girl

Spiral: From the Book Of Saw | May 14, 2021 | Lionsgate | Written, produced, and starring Chris Rock

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

It just feels like a waste tbh. I think this could be used on a better time for worldwide theaters. Maybe in July or August. This is a truly theaters only event. No streaming nonsense attached.

If North America were able to get its shit together, studios wouldn't have to resort to this. But at this point, a year later, it's difficult for them to keep sitting on these titles. 

Things are looking up, but the future of moviegoing really depends on half the US deciding if they're really going to be more afraid of a vaccine than a virus. 

• Like 1

This would have had to receive 95% on Rotten Tomatoes to get me into theaters (I have enough going on in my life to watch a disgusting snuff film like this series), so chances have now hit zero! Also sorry for being so negative just getting back into movies and posting woo hoo

The reviews are actually coming in better than I would have imagined. I'm still surprised Lionsgate dropped the embargo today instead of what they've done with all past Saw movies where it drops the day of the release. As of now its at 54% on rotten tomatoes, I'm sure the number will end of settling between 40-45%. The original Saw sits at 50% on rottentomatoes, so to expect anything higher than that would be kind of crazy. Critics just do not like Saw movies, and it seems like this movie is still a Saw movie at heart so take that for what it's worth. 

Most likely this film on RT will end up being the 2nd highest rated Saw film on RT, which would be impressive. 

• Like 1

Wow, the original Saw movie only sits at 50%? I would have guessed it's rated way better. Of course the films of this series contain so many discussable actions but I found the first two films really exciting. IMO no film was really boring so far. And who would have suspected that the guy in the middle of the room is not dead (Saw 2004)? I didn't. OTOH many scenes are just disgusting.

However, with already 41 reviews it should indeed end up being the 2nd highest rated Saw film, not bad for the 9th entry.

44 minutes ago, el sid said:

Wow, the original Saw movie only sits at 50%? I would have guessed it's rated way better. Of course the films of this series contain so many discussable actions but I found the first two films really exciting. IMO no film was really boring so far. And who would have suspected that the guy in the middle of the room is not dead (Saw 2004)? I didn't. OTOH many scenes are just disgusting.

However, with already 41 reviews it should indeed end up being the 2nd highest rated Saw film, not bad for the 9th entry.

Original Saw is definitely a classic case of the critics being wrong. 

• Like 1

I'm curious to see how this does on Thursday previews. I'm guessing it'll do similarly to Jigsaw with a 1.6 M but who knows, I know Regal added Spiral really late so not sure if it'll do well there.

There were around 7 people in the theater with me at my showing, but my theater was also playing Spiral in IMAX at the same time and that was much more packed, looked like 50 people roughly, so I decided to see it in regular non Imax.

I think this movie will make around 15-17M this weekend, I'm hoping for more but not getting my hopes up.

Overall I did enjoy the movie, it was pretty different than what I was expecting. More character/thriller than the Saw sequels are normally. You can kind of tell that this movie wasn't originally written to be a Saw movie, and that they worked traps into it. I think it worked, but it just doesn't feel like a Saw film, which is fine since this is really a spinoff.

I do think this will get a mixed reaction in general. I did like it, but I could see Saw fans being somewhat annoyed by this entry.

• Like 1

This was the best Saw film since 3 in my opinion. The traps were extreme and disgusting, it earned its 18 rating here. Story is topical and I didn’t see the twist coming. Some questionable direction though. Would’ve been better with someone else. Chris Rock is miscast. 

3/5