sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Welp...

MV5BMTg5MjcwMzY5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDM0

So can anyone an “A Dogs...” movie? Is it like a public domain thing? 

Both "A Dogs" movies were based on books written by the same author. The film rights for both were given to different studios. And no, I don't get why they released both movies months apart from each other.

• Like 1

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/john-wick-chapter-3-box-office-avengers-endgame-1203218893/

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum” is gearing up to take down Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

Lionsgate’s third installment of the Keanu Reeves action franchise is over-performing forecasts, which had been in the $30 million and $35 million range. With at least $50 million at 3,850 sites, it should handily beat the fourth weekend of Disney-Marvel’s megahit “Avengers: Endgame,” which is heading for about $30 million.

Avengers: Endgame” is due to decline by about 53%, following decreases of 58% in the second and third weekends following its historic $357 million launch in late April.

Warner Bros.’ sophomore frame of “Pokemon: Detective Pikachu” is showing decent holding power, with a 57% decline to the $24 million range. The family adventure should wind up the weekend with a 10-day North American total of about $93 million.

Universal’s “A Dog’s Journey,” starring Dennis Quaid and a variety of charming canines in the sequel to 2017’s “A Dog’s Purpose,” is expected to perform slightly under forecasts with about $9 million at 3,267 screens. “A Dog’s Purpose” debuted with $18 million and ended its domestic box office run with $64 million.

Warner Bros. will see poor results from “The Sun Is Also a Star,” a teen drama based on Nicola Yoon’s novel of the same name. It’s anticipated to make $3 million to $4 million from 2,073 locations — well under forecasts. “Grown-ish” actress Yara Shahidi stars as a brainy student who forms a relationship with a charming exchange student (“Riverdale’s” Charles Melton), as her family faces deportation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Both "A Dogs" movies were based on books written by the same author.

That's the bit I was trying to remember.  Thanks. :)

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The film rights for both were given to different studios. And no, I don't get why they released both movies months apart from each other.

He knows that the key to a successful Cinematic Universe is having competing studios put out your films, obviously.

Edited by Porthos

One of My favorite "Dog" movie growing up was the "Benji" Series.  It's funny with Wick and A Dog's Journey coming out same week.  It's a Dog Theme weekend, lol.  This film came out in 1987 and made about 22 Million.  It adjust to over 50 Million.   Dog Themed films haven't exactly blown away the box office that much.  Scooby, Marley and Me and 101 Dalmatians are the only 100 Million grossers.  

Bengithehunterposter.jpg

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Based on two different books, near as I can tell. 

A Dog's Purpose. (A Dog's Journey is the sequel)

A Dog's Way Home

Both based on books written by the same man.

This guy’s Wikipedia photo is spectacular 

220px-W._Bruce_Cameron_&_Tucker.jpg

(He also wrote 8 Simple Rules, which was later turned into a sitcom with one of televisions most uncomfortable episodes ever).

Edited by AJG

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Lionsgate’s third installment of the Keanu Reeves action franchise is over-performing forecasts, which had been in the $30 million and $35 million range. With at least $50 million at 3,850 sites, it should handily beat the fourth weekend of Disney-Marvel’s megahit “Avengers: Endgame,” which is heading for about $30 million.

And for the folks wondering on the sidelines, this is why studios love/prefer forecasters who put out conservative estimates.  Just so it can seem like they 'beat' expectations by a huge percentage.

(In other words, that 30m-35m range was laughably low)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

And for the folks wondering on the sidelines, this is why studios love/prefer forecasters who put out conservative estimates.  Just so it can seem like they 'beat' expectations by a huge percentage.

KoTM will do it next :sparta:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don’t know about the box office experts like you on this site,  but I find estimates without quoting the actual numbers on which they are basing the estimates kind of useless. 

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Before or after John Ritter died?

The episode where Ritter died. It was filmed entirely like a sitcom but there was no laugh track so I didn't know when I was meant to laugh.

• Like 1

UPDATE, 1:35 PM: If there is a film that is stopping Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame from taking No. 1 at the domestic box office for a fourth weekend in a row, it is Lionsgate’s John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum, which is looking at a $25 million Friday including $5.9M from Thursday previews for a $55M-$60M weekend. And we hear it could go higher.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/john-wick-chapter-3-avengers-endgame-pokemon-detective-pikachu-weekend-box-office-1202617131/

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 12