sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

18 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Pirates 5 had $1.25mn from Wednesday. It was $4.25mn Thursday. Iirc.

Where did you hear this? I saw Pirates 5 at the Thursday previews and I would have known if it had early sneaks the day before, certainly if they were widespread enough to account for $1.25M

Just now, Menor said:

He meant Friday will be better than expected based on presales

Ahhhh....see, that I'm not as certain about, b/c I think we're hitting a "women's presale" type of movie and an area-specific over-and-under performer movie...and the areas performing strongly at the BO also presell normally strongly, like mine...

But, we'll see...the Thursday number is good, though...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Where did you hear this? I saw Pirates 5 at the Thursday previews and I would have known if it had early sneaks the day before, certainly if they were widespread enough to account for $1.25M

Sorry my bad. I read 

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Paramount reports Baywatch brought in an estimated $4.5 million on Thursday, from 3,647 locations, which includes $1.25 million from Wednesday 

the above as numbers for PoTC 5 in hurry.

• Like 1

Just now, Menor said:

I don't really think Disney defeated the Memorial Day curse. Aladdin should've been a much bigger deal than this even with a better than expected opening.

Maybe but I dunno. I feel like a lot of the original Aladdin's enduring appeal is because of Robin Williams' iconic Genie, which no remake was ever gonna duplicate unless he was still here to reprise the role (which sadly isn't the case). Disney will likely still consider it a win even if it only grosses half of what Beauty and the Beast did though since overseas should make an even prettier penny.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ahhhh....see, that I'm not as certain about, b/c I think we're hitting a "women's presale" type of movie and an area-specific over-and-under performer movie...and the areas performing strongly at the BO also presell normally strongly, like mine...

But, we'll see...the Thursday number is good, though...

Idk, at least based on Fandango the Thursday wasn't all that presale-heavy, especially considering most schools are still in session (I think). It was only slightly more presale-heavy than Dumbo, and less so than Detective Pikachu. Maybe that changes for the weekend, but I'm not so sure right now