sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

22 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont see TS4 hitting 200m at all. Now PS has really slowed down. I think its behind I2. Probably 130-150m  would be awesome. Let us not get too ahead and call it a disappointment. To me anything above 350m domestic and 900m WW is a win.

No way. Ts4 below 400m in this weak summer and strong predates would be a disappointment 

Edited by John Marston

3 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

175m global open? Ouch. Down from the 230m projected that was being tossed around mid-week, and down from the 196m global start for G14. Don't see how this crosses 500m total.

$500 Million is too Much ... Max $400 M+ ... the Way movie Has Down .. it is Shocking ..

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, TMP said:

What are they gonna do with Godzilla vs Kong? Dump it?

It's probably too late to significantly change any strategy at this point. They're more or less stuck. That's their "Avengers" essentially. Or rather, Avengers is their ideal. The reality is much closer to Justice League. 

Which means they'll micromanage every aspect of post-production and throw every marketing idea they've got at the thing for 6 months, and hope one sticks. 

20 minutes ago, TMP said:

What are they gonna do with Godzilla vs Kong? Dump it?

No, but having it in March rather than Summer is smart. Could stand out more in a less crowded month

9 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Christmas is empty, if they are looking for breathing space and also rework some issues to make product even better.

Probably highlight Kong more to keep it fresh. KSI legged it well and was amazing in China. Hope they can get at least Brie back along with a few of the Godzilla world.

Irrespective of boxoffice I think KOTM will better the goodwill of Godzilla. Just one metric but G14 has 66% on audience RT. KOTM has 88% and shouldn't drop below low-80s imo.

Edited by a2k

1 minute ago, a2k said:

Probably highlight Kong more to keep it fresh. KSI legged it well and was amazing in China. Hope they can get Brie back.

Well I'm pretty sure Brie's character would be an old lady by this point, unless Kong and Godzy go back in time.

• Like 1

I think they overestimated the "Godzilla is the star" narrative, maybe because people thought that characters in the previous films didn't matter. The monsters need a human story and at least sympathetic human characters to work for the general audience, only few are monsters' die hard fans out there the rest need to more to get entertained..

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Well I'm pretty sure Brie's character would be an old lady by this point, unless Kong and Godzy go back in time.

yeah didn't think about that. maybe some of the story could be set in that time period.

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

Probably highlight Kong more to keep it fresh. KSI legged it well and was amazing in China. Hope they can get at least Brie back along with a few of the Godzilla world.

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

They finished shooting the movie 2 months ago, and Brie wasn't in the cast

12 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Christmas is empty, if they are looking for breathing space and also rework some issues to make product even better.

Why would WB waste it on GvK? Dune has more potential than GvK at this point, why not just move that to Christmas? At the very least, the quality is gonna be better since Denis V's track record is a lot stronger than Adam Wingard's.

12 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

WB needs some serious help with their blockbusters.  All under performed so far this year.

It's funny nowhere but people on here or on gamerforums like resetera say Pikachu underperformed. Every other place or outlet say it's performed solid and is successful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 3

40 minutes ago, Menor said:

1 pm, the pace today hasn't been great. I'm gonna guess 15-17, though leaning toward the higher end (hopefully). 

Sounds about right. A Wonder Woman sized bump from True Friday would get Godzilla to 17.2m. Suffice it to say, I don't think it's going to play like Wonder Woman, so 17m is probably the top end for today. The mid-range 16m would be +20% True Friday, which sounds plausible.

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's funny nowhere but people on here or on gamerforums like resetera say Pikachu underperformed. Every other place or outlet say it's performed solid and is successful. 

Reality is often dissapointing

TTVOMJ

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

You were saying the movie was doing a billion dollars before endgame released then dropped it to 600-700 million after realizing how big endgame was 

now will do barley 400 million 

how did it not underperform 

• Like 4