sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

1 hour ago, Life goes on said:

lol  you gotta be joking. WW 2 is highly anticipated. No1cur about Black Widow

Wonder Woman 84 and Black Widow are going to make a ton of money. 

1 hour ago, Alli said:

this is way too pessimistic. I think it will do around 200M. Hoping for more. The book has many fans that are ready for a good adaptation. Villaneuve will deliver imo

But the book is more like homework than anything. It was landmark for when it was released, but everything that makes Dune feel cool/revolutionary has been stripmined from the property and done to much more success (and cultural relevance) by multiple different franchises. The Dune branding might hurt it, honestly. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited that it's being made and I can't wait to see it. I love that Villeneuve can get Warners to give him hundreds of millions of dollars to make these gorgeous, thoughtful, beautifully made things that can almost by definition only appeal to a small niche of the genre audience it's being aimed at. 

But I don't think it's going to make a bunch of money barring Warner Bros. figuring out a surefire marketing campaign. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Man... at least we’re getting that film. Our answers to whether they’d continue after GvsKong has been answered.

Cant wait to see what Toho has in store after 2020.

@Bishop54 you see that it’s actually killing it in Japan? Possible 40m in the making.

Sweet take in Japan...what did the 2014 film do there? I'm seeing it tomorrow, kinda disappointed in myself that I didn't go yesterday and support big G. So you think no more Godzilla films after GvKK?

Just now, Bishop54 said:

Sweet take in Japan...what did the 2014 film do there? I'm seeing it tomorrow, kinda disappointed in myself that I didn't go yesterday and support big G. So you think no more Godzilla films after GvKK?

G14 made 31-32 in the end there. It’s doing around 9m there this weekend.

My crowd loved the film. Dude, if you hated G14 you’ll love this. You’re probably going to be confused as hell why it’s not doing well when you walk out. Tag me when you have your thoughts.

i think it’s been obvious Toho has some ambitious plans after 2020. 

3 minutes ago, Cookson said:

G14 made 31-32 in the end there. It’s doing around 9m there this weekend.

My crowd loved the film. Dude, if you hated G14 you’ll love this. You’re probably going to be confused as hell why it’s not doing well when you walk out. Tag me when you have your thoughts.

i think it’s been obvious Toho has some ambitious plans after 2020. 

I'm hoping to love it man. I'd love to hear about those Toho plans. 

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

After coming back with some shocking positivity with Aladdin last week, it is with regret that I inform you that I found Godzilla to be shockingly, astonishingly bad. Like, worst of the Transformers bad. Wow. 

Sadly my feeling towards it aswell, one of the most soulless movies i’ve seen.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

GvK has way more potential. Crossover films always make a lot of money compared to other films in those franchises. Dune is much more niche than Godzilla and Kong is more popular than both.

How is GvK a crossover?  Are there actually people that are "fans" of Godzilla that see Godzilla movies, but don't care about Kong and won't go see his movies?  Or the other way around?

I don't see any way this can legitimately be labeled a crossover film.  You either like Monster movies, or you don't.  If you like them, you see the movies with the two most iconic monsters in the world.  If you don't like them, you don't see any of them.  You're not going to be magically adding a bunch of Godzilla fans together with a bunch of totally different Kong fans to get some noticably higher total.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

.How is GvK a crossover?  Are there actually people that are "fans" of Godzilla that see Godzilla movies, but don't care about Kong and won't go see his movies?  Or the other way around?

I don't see any way this can legitimately be labeled a crossover film.  You either like Monster movies, or you don't.  If you like them, you see the movies with the two most iconic monsters in the world.  If you don't like them, you don't see any of them.  You're not going to be magically adding a bunch of Godzilla fans together with a bunch of totally different Kong fans to get some noticably higher total.

You could say the exact same thing with Nightmare On Elm Street and Friday the 13th - same with Iron Man and Captain America and Thor. There's a clear novelty factor in bringing iconic characters together. People who couldn't care less about KotM will be seeing GvK opening day.

Edited by ddddeeee

3 minutes ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

i haven't seen it, but i already have this new Godzilla ranked above Godzilla 2014 and King Kong 2016

My list goes

Kong

GKOTM

G14

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

For the big 3, in initial runs DOM...

Beauty and the Beast $145M

Aladdin $217M

Lion King $312M

Obviously, B&TB animated was only 2/3rds of animated Aladdin in the 1990s...live action Aladdin will be, at best, 2/3rds of B&TB in the 2010's (and probably only a little bit more than 1/2)...

So, Math and past performance are not the saving graces for figuring out TLK live action gross...

Sell me that this will appeal to the African American community like Black Panther did...tell me this will appeal to the uber-nostalgics like Finding Dory did...tell me that between those two factors and the power of and trust in Disney, this will go sky high...but don't just say 1990's Lion King did X, so this is guaranteed to do X...it's not...it can, but quality of the movie, 1st impressions from the uber-fans, and the power and popularity of SM;FFH and Hobbs and Shaw will have just as much to do with the "favorable" factors it has going for it...

I gave multiple reasons.

4 hours ago, Alli said:

lol  you gotta be joking. WW 2 is highly anticipated. No1cur about Black Widow

*Ant-Man* pulled down $519 million out of nowhere. You are deluded if you think nobody cares about Black Widow, especially after the related events in Endgame.

• Like 1

Just now, PDC1987 said:

*Ant-Man* pulled down $519 million out of nowhere. You are deluded if you think nobody cares about Black Widow, especially after the related events in Endgame.

Yea after Captain Marvel betting against the MCU right now is baseless. Look all we have are precedents, and no franchise has better precedents than the MCU (launching both core characters and unknown/spin off type films). When the MCU makes a bomb we can start to question the BO potential of their films. At the moment, there is no reason aside from silly speculation to think Black Widow will at least do well. For heavens sake Ant Man did those numbers at a time when the MCU's profile was lower (relatively speaking) than it is now, and he wasnt an Avenger! Writing off Black Widow is akin to the internet believing its own bullshit and thinking Cap M would tank, clearly the GA will carry the MCU wherever it wants to go. If Black Widow disappoints, then we can have a different conversation, until then, you cant ignore the track record

• Like 5