TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

12 hours ago, B D Joe said:

I blame James Cameron and Michael Bay.  The 90s was when the blockbuster bloat started.

Or when it came back....

Back in the 1960's most huge budget movies had long running times. It was the hayday of the Roadshow 3 hour attraction, so much that comics made jokes about it. One comic jokes, after seeing a series of three hour plus movies come out, jokes that nowsays you did not get intermissions in long movies, you got parole.....

I must say, from my perspective this film has very weak marketing campaign, first of all, for some reason it started very very late and neither of two trailers or any of other various promos made big impression on me, nothing really memorable, especially compared to Ragnarok's trailers and marketing, lacks this special kind of kinetic energy and doesn’t create much of buzz.

I belive that Love&Thunder will be a great film but imo they ain't selling it well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Or when it came back....

Back in the 1960's most huge budget movies had long running times. It was the hayday of the Roadshow 3 hour attraction, so much that comics made jokes about it. One comic jokes, after seeing a series of three hour plus movies come out, jokes that nowsays you did not get intermissions in long movies, you got parole.....

I'd be so down for those types of epics if the visuals and scale matched the runtime (which many modern blockbusters do not).

6 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

What is the inflation adjusted OW for Thor Ragnarok? Does anyone know?

Ragnarok sells around 13.4M tickets on OW, let´s say around 11 dollars or so average price for tickets today, it would give around 150M dollars OW.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

What is the inflation adjusted OW for Thor Ragnarok? Does anyone know?

In 2019 atp: ~125

in July 2022 atp: ~ 140 I guess, data lacking

In rank translation: 146 (28th, between JWD and gotg2)

Rank translated to end 2019 then atp adjusted: ~157 (142 +11%)  

Imo that last one is the most accurate, I will certainly consider this a poor opening if it’s sub 160

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Imo that last one is the most accurate, I will certainly consider this a poor opening if it’s sub 160

I would as well but kinda expecting 150s from the start today...

Of course a long way to go.

Edited by Menor Reborn

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I would as well but kinda expecting 150s from the start today...

Of course a long way to go.

Yeah, seems headed for a poor opening very very tentatively.

Though I would not be shocked by like 28*6.5 either

2 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Totally agreed.

26-27M previews and 155-160M OW is the lowest it can get without being a big disappointment.

L&T is coming not only from a fan favorite Ragnarok, but also huge appearances on IW / EG, match Ragnarok ticket sales is the bare minimum it should do.

But i still think the presales run for this will be way closer to The Batman than DS2 / NWH craziness urgency, but despite that the OW will ended up similar to DS2.

• Haha 1