TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Feige is getting real lucky with his misses. 

Black Widow was meh but not enough to left a real impression, and then right after Shang Chi came with amazing wom. 

Then Eternals came and it was a mess, just to NWH completely erase it a month after. 

Now DS2 was also slighty divisive, and seems like Thor is bringing the crowdpleaser feeling again. 

So far it's all good, but i wonder if eventually Marvel drop 2 bad received movies in sequence if it's gonna have some real impact, because i feel that MCU is by far the franchise where good reviews matters the most for a big part of it's audience. Social media was trully a mess with DS2 because of a totally fine 74% while nobody cares with JWD getting 30%, it's crazy.

Swapping As and worse than As is not acceptable long run though, let’s see this kick off 4 A or better in a row :) 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Feige is getting real lucky with his misses. 

Black Widow was meh but not enough to left a real impression, and then right after Shang Chi came with amazing wom. 

Then Eternals came and it was a mess, just to NWH completely erase it a month after. 

Now DS2 was also slighty divisive, and seems like Thor is bringing the crowdpleaser feeling again. 

So far it's all good, but i wonder if eventually Marvel drop 2 bad received movies in sequence if it's gonna have some real impact, because i feel that MCU is by far the franchise where good reviews matters the most for a big part of it's audience. Social media was trully a mess with DS2 because of a totally fine 74% while nobody cares with JWD getting 30%, it's crazy.

BW was "Meh" for the MCU/CBM fanboys on the internet. Women loved the movie and everyone I know irl liked it enough.

DS2 was never going to be a complete crowdpleaser imo like BP or Avengers movies. As much as I love the movie and the way Raimi directed the heck out of it, the pacing is too frenetic for the GA. Waldron's script is also cheesy and he admitted to writing in a way that would fit Evil Dead/Army of Darkness type of film.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

BW was "Meh" for the MCU/CBM fanboys on the internet. Women loved the movie and everyone I know irl liked it enough.

DS2 was never going to be a complete crowdpleaser imo like BP or Avengers movies. As much as I love the movie and the way Raimi directed the heck out of it, the pacing is too frenetic for the GA. Waldron's script is also cheesy and he admitted to writing in a way that would fit Evil Dead/Army of Darkness type of film.

Yeah i can't say much about BW, everyone i know straight up hated it, including woman lol. I was going more by the A- cinemascore etc. 

But for DS2, i agreed it have too much personality to be a 4-quadrant crowdpleaser, and not the type of popular personality which i think it's the problem, since it have this trash horror vibes in the mix.

But i finally catch it in theaters last weekend and i really liked the movie, i think it's very well edited making a really pleasent watch, the transitions rules, the nonstop aspect was great, i think Raimi direction overall is a delight, the corny moments was a lot of fun. To be honest, being messy ended up being part of the appeal to me, the 2nd act is pointless sometimes, the dialogues are frequently awfully funny, the multiverse aspect is very underused but it was way more fun to watch then something more well structured like NWH that lacks any artistic vision. 

But luckly, seems like Thor won't have this "issue" with it's 4 quadrant appeal.

• Like 2

BW was mid and too late to arrive in a rapidly evolving CBM landscape. It would have been a much bigger deal if it had come before Wonder Woman or even Captain Marvel.

DS2 was riddled with rumors that led people to believe the film was something it was not (a cameofest feat. everyone from Deadpool to Tom Cruise), setting them up for disappointment regardless of the actual film's quality.

Edited by Spidey Freak

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

BW was mid and too late to arrive in a rapidly evolving CBM landscape. It would have been a much bigger deal if it had come before Wonder Woman or even Captain Marvel.

DS2 was riddled with rumors that led people to believe the film was something it was not (a cameofest feat. everyone from Deadpool to Tom Cruise), setting them up for disappointment regardless of the actual film's quality.

DS2 marketing would’ve been stupid not to try to make it seem like a NWH sequel though like that’s what propelled such a massive opening, even if legs weren’t great, it did waaaaay better than a Strange sequel normally wouldve. 

anyways, if reactions like this translate to reviews, it’s no wonder Disney wants Taika on that Star Wars film ASAP.. he seems to be rather critic proof at this point as he can turn even a weird polarizing and kind of offputting concept like Jojo Rabbit into an Oscar winner. 

These reactions are TGM level. I'm happy to hear Crowe had something fun to do cause they call him chef's kiss. Everyone is getting praised. People love the goats. 🐐❤️

1 billie is happening.

Please PM me spoilers if you have them!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

These reactions are TGM level. I'm happy to hear Crowe had something fun to do cause they call him chef's kiss. Everyone is getting praised. People love the goats. 🐐❤️

1 billie is happening.

Please PM me spoilers if you have them!

These reactions are positive but not that positive . Consensus I'm getting that it's good but not as good as ragnarok.

31 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Taika haters will be seething today.

I mean sure the CBM fans who love grim dark stuff would never be into this anyways. Otherwise I don’t think he has haters, maybe some highbrow critics soured on him since he got too famous/popular and want him to go back to making Hunt for the Wilderpeople type movies but also he just gained a slew of young fans through OFMD recently and I think even his critics would admit his work on the TV side is impeccable. 

• Like 1