TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

This was fun, I really don’t get the hate I keep seeing. It’s not as good as Ragnarok admittedly, but it’s entertaining. I don’t even really see the “it’s Taika dialled up to 11” stuff either, if anything it felt like Taika being more reigned in to me, but then I guess I have been watching Our Flag Means Death lately and that really is maximum Taika (and as a fan, I mean that in a good way!) so Thor seems restrained but comparison.

2nd best Thor movie for me.

Spoiler for the mid-credits scene:

Spoiler

The cameo in the mid credits scene made me snort laugh too. Absolute stunt casting, but seeing THAT actor sparring insults with Hemsworth could be an absolute delight.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Giving it more thought and assuming both were A+ Cinemascores, 99 RT kinda films (like TGM) I think it would be something like....

MOM = $220M OW / $560M DOM
L&T = $180M OW / $525M DOM

I'd say more like 

MoM - $210m OW/$485m-$500m

L&T - $180m OW/$450m-$475m

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I'd say more like 

MoM - $210m OW/$485m-$500m

L&T - $180m OW/$450m-$475m

Can't see MOM having worse legs than Endgame with a reception like that and an opening weekend 40% smaller. 

Same problem with L&T. No way an A+ Cinemascore would only do 2.5x with a July release. 

• Like 1

Ragnarok was probably the absolute best case scenario for a solo film sequel, and if that had matched it, it probably would've pushed $450m maybe.  It's kind of astonishing how much Thor's stock skyrocketed from that and IW, only for it to be wasted here... literally what the fuck happened.

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Well the idea was to show that MCU box office isn't in decline by comparing to a "strong reception" baseline right? I just think it makes more sense to use an A for that, rather than A+. 

Yea I mean as a baseline, sure. My general point was it's not the MCU that's in decline, it's just that these last 2 films have been mid-level at best. Clearly the audience is still there, but reception/WOM matter even for the MCU. If MOM and L&T both had Shang-Chi level reception, they'd each add $100M to their DOM totals. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Posttrack scores vs. Ragnarok is pretty wild:  

L&T: 63% definite recommend

Ragnarok: 85% definite recommend

How did they let this happen. 

Hmm so Ragnarok probably barely missed an A+ Cinemascore. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

Hmm so Ragnarok probably barely missed an A+ Cinemascore. 

Maybe, but it was a character who had already appeared in many films + no particular nostalgia hook like NWH. But that's why I said I think for a movie like this, Ragnarok is probably the absolute best case scenario. 

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Maybe, but it was a character who had already appeared in many films + no particular nostalgia hook like NWH. But that's why I said I think for a movie like this, Ragnarok is probably the absolute best case scenario. 

Well, what I meant was that 85 is crazy high, that's in the range of Endgame/IW. Although it seems that it went down to 79 after the full weekend, while I think Endgame increased. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

I’m not sure what to think of this movie. It’s messy, but I don’t know if I’d say it’s bad. I liked Bale in it, but I’m pretty meh on the humor. If they’re going to make another Thor movie, it might be time to find some fresh blood. 

Edited by WittyUsername

I knew it would get a B+. No, I didn't predict that on here so no I don't have proof. The reviews were screaming that. I liked MOM because of Raimi's direction despite the lame script so who knows what I'll think but it's disappointing to here that it didn't come close to capturing the magic of Ragnarok.