Eric Duncan

Halloween Kills | October 15, 2021 | Uni/Blumhouse | Releases day-and-date in theaters and Peacock | 35% on RT

3 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

This can (will) gross less than the first's OW and still be a success

This is probably fine staying put

Yeah, I can see them both co-existing okay on that date. Venom 2 will come out on top in terms of box office, but I don’t think it’d be a death knell for HK. My only annoyance would be HK potentially losing the premium formats.

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Yeah, I can see them both co-existing okay on that date. Venom 2 will come out on top in terms of box office, but I don’t think it’d be a death knell for HK. My only annoyance would be HK potentially losing the premium formats.

Unless cinemas are already under contract to give it the premium formats? 

They're not delaying, first because it will premiere in Venice in less than a month.

Second, the movie is cheap and doesn't need huge amount of money to be profitable.

Third, it has to be released around October and since this is not moving to October 2022, it stays where it is.

Fouth, Blum already said this was going to drop no matter what. Now we just have to wait if it will keep the date only in theaters, if they will move up or if it's going to be day and date.

Personally i would move up to October 1 theatrical exclusive.

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Unless cinemas are already under contract to give it the premium formats? 

Fingers crossed, but unfortunately I can’t really see Sony moving Venom to that date unless they got the premium formats as well. Has anything been said about Venom’s move being US only? I seem to remember the Venom UK Twitter account still said September rather than “fall”.

I feel like October 1st is a bit too early for HK though, given how practically everything sinks in their second weekends at the moment (and with Bond opening on the 8th, followed by Venom on the 15th and Dune on the 22nd, those three will take the air right out of HK), it might not even be in many theatres by Halloween itself. I think they leave it where it is.

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Fingers crossed, but unfortunately I can’t really see Sony moving Venom to that date unless they got the premium formats as well. Has anything been said about Venom’s move being US only? I seem to remember the Venom UK Twitter account still said September rather than “fall”.

I feel like October 1st is a bit too early for HK though, given how practically everything sinks in their second weekends at the moment (and with Bond opening on the 8th, followed by Venom on the 15th and Dune on the 22nd, those three will take the air right out of HK), it might not even be in many theatres by Halloween itself. I think they leave it where it is.

October 1st gets it out on PVOD in time for Halloween though, seems as good a move as any in the current climate. 

10 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

October 1st gets it out on PVOD in time for Halloween though, seems as good a move as any in the current climate. 

True, but surely Universal would prefer to have their Halloween film primarily in cinemas for the actual Halloween date. Although that said, the Rob Zombie films came out in August and did well (well, the first one anyway), so who knows.

Edited by SnokesLegs

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

True, but surely Universal would prefer to have their Halloween film primarily in cinemas for the actual Halloween date. Although that said, the Rob Zombie films came out in August and did well (well, the first one anyway), so who knows.

Yeh, Halloween H20 was July and so was Resurrection. Random. 

12 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

The thing is premium theatres are doing much better than normal during pandemic? Is there a guarantee this trend will change? Because that will very well hurt box office 

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

The thing is premium theatres are doing much better than normal during pandemic? Is there a guarantee this trend will change? Because that will very well hurt box office 

For the big budget blockbusters that’s true, but horror seems to have done well without the premium formats throughout the pandemic. Not saying it wouldn’t hurt it, because losing the premium pricing would obviously cause a lower total, but I don’t think it’d kill the film. 

Seems foolish/arrogant of Sony to move Venom there though when both prior instalments of both series opened to a similar amount, all they’re doing is lowering the OW of both by making it a fight between the two.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

The first showing of Halloween Kills at Venice is on Wednesday morning next week.

Got the trailer before Candyman last night and kept closing my eyes because it seems to give away too much. Even the director said to Empire Magazine that he was shocked how much they included. 

41 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The first showing of Halloween Kills at Venice is on Wednesday morning next week.

Got the trailer before Candyman last night and kept closing my eyes because it seems to give away too much. Even the director said to Empire Magazine that he was shocked how much they included. 

I'll be seeing it six times next week in Venice lol

Eh. Trailer is a bit misleading. In a way, sure, it shows some major moments, but there's so many major moments in the film so. There's still a lot to look forward to.

1 hour ago, Amorphous said:

I'll be seeing it six times next week in Venice lol

Eh. Trailer is a bit misleading. In a way, sure, it shows some major moments, but there's so many major moments in the film so. There's still a lot to look forward to.

Yeh he said he had a back and forth with universal to remove stuff from the trailer but they wouldn’t agree. He was angry with them giving away certain deaths. 

Amazing you get to see it so many times and so early, enjoy the film!