Eric Duncan

Halloween Kills | October 15, 2021 | Uni/Blumhouse | Releases day-and-date in theaters and Peacock | 35% on RT

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sounds like a total crowdpleaser tbh, reviews aren't bad and boring like the Zombie ones, just Venice film fest expectations. 

The fact that some of the negative ones claim that a “high kill count” is a bad thing tells me that they’re best ignored. We’ve had ten films of Michael stalking from the shadows, seeing him finally go apeshit sounds great to me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Surprised they decided to take this to a festival to be honest, the eleventh film in a horror franchise doesn’t exactly seem like the type of film that festival-goers will like in the first place.

This will be the twelfth in the franchise. Ends will be 13. 

Yeh the negative ones saying “typical slasher sequel, bodies everywhere” actually make me excited tbh. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This will be the twelfth in the franchise. Ends will be 13. 

Yeh the negative ones saying “typical slasher sequel, bodies everywhere” actually make me excited tbh. 

Ah yeah, I always forget about Halloween Resurrection!*

*unless it’s on BBC1 late at night and I find myself oddly compelled to watch it every damn time.

• Like 1

Surprised by the reception considering they decided to take this to Venice. They were lucky to sell the Exorcist package AND to shoot the 3rd movie back to back with the 2nd one before all of this. With these reviews and the pandemic we might be in store for a stunning box office drop.

Edited by CJohn

Reviews are definitely disappointing since this already seemed to face an uphill battle in terms of audience retention from the previous movie (lack of nostalgia gimmick or much of a fresh hook that would bring in crowds typically averse to horror movies this time around) and the "generic slasher sequel" claims will only limit the appeal.

They shouldn't premiere this at Venice which is a harder audience.

But still the reviews are very bad, i can't find a single known critic or site that give more than 6/10, which doesn't bodes well.

If this was divisive like let's say Soho with a lower percentage but pretty good average i would bet it's probably going up when easier critics saw it, but with Halloween is really meh.

Maybe it can manage to go fresh with 60-63% but this sounds like the best scenario.

Audience probably won't Care tho, test screenings for this were great. I think this will open well (around 40M) no matter what and if audience liked it because it's bigger and gorier, +100M is happening. The Last one people are meh about it and legs are bad even with good reviews, for horror this doesn't matter that much.

Robbie Collin not liking this bodes pretty bad honestly. He's a very lenient critic and likes a lot of Hollywood genre stuff. Also are people still trusting these test screenings lol? Good test screenings doesn't mean audiences will love it (just like it doesn't mean critics would). These things are like a coin toss.

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Surprised by the reception considering they decided to take this to Venice. They were lucky to sell the Exorcist package AND to shoot the 3rd movie back to back with the 2nd one before all of this. With these reviews and the pandemic we might be in store for a stunning box office drop.

They still didn't film "Halloween Ends". I wonder will this, for now, lukewarm reception of "Halloween Kills" delay it till 2023, and change the screenplay.

I can see the potential problems "Kills" may have. Sadly, it looks like JLC took more so a supporting role here, and that was my number 1 concern after the 2018 film.

I think this will do ok on box office, but I'm lowering my expectations to 20-30 million $ opening weekend, coming second to "No Time to Kill's" second weekend, which I expect to be north of 40-50 million $.

Let's remember that good reviews and word of mouth helped the previous film significantly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Why are they releasing review this early when the review aren't good?

I feel there is some list of possible when that happen

1) Did not know in advance how it would play with critics being an obvious one.

2) Less obvious, that calculation is I think sometime based on tracking, the lower the tracking the more chance you have an leniant embargo, you need to take chance.

I think that why It and Wonder Woman had so extreme last minute embargo lift, the tracking was excellent and WB did not had to take any chance with it when some other movie goes early and get bad reviews.

It is not like you can have reviewer feedback before deciding your embargo (or if that happen that terribly corrupt), well sometime they do by moving it after letting them having a twitter non-embargo (people that partake in twitter commenting without having the ability of posting actual review are the lowest of the lowest of an already ultra soft belly industry, but they already have destroyed any serious credibility before doing that for the most part)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I think this will do ok on box office, but I'm lowering my expectations to 20-30 million $ opening weekend, coming second to "No Time to Kill's" second weekend, which I expect to be north of 40-50 million $.

NTTD is not doing 40-50 2nd weekend. Probably will be closer to its opening weekend.

The script for this is bonkers, both good and a bit bad. I doubt reviews do much damage to its box office though, tbh. Its the marque horror film for October.

$50m/120m

Edited by excel1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Robbie Collin not liking this bodes pretty bad honestly. He's a very lenient critic and likes a lot of Hollywood genre stuff. Also are people still trusting these test screenings lol? Good test screenings doesn't mean audiences will love it (just like it doesn't mean critics would). These things are like a coin toss.

I like Robbie, he displays a lot of common sense, but I personally wouldn’t call him lenient with genre films, he’s more lenient with indie, hence a few 5 star reviews out of Venice and he called one of the Cannes indies the best of all time. 

Anyway, glad that trash Variety review is going viral in horror circles

Edited by Krissykins

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I like Robbie, he displays a lot of common sense, but I personally wouldn’t call him lenient with genre films, he’s more lenient with indie, hence a few 5 star reviews out of Venice and he called one of the Cannes indies the best of all time. 

Anyway, glad that trash Variety review is going viral in horror circles

Collin literally gave Reminiscence a 3/5. He's given practically all the big blockbusters released this year high scores too and was the only critics on metacritic to give the Snyder Cut a 5/5. He's definitely more lenient than his peers.