sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

58 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Regardless, 125m is going to happen. Which I'm not sure is a great financial success depending on the OS with the large budget and Tarantino's back-end (not to mention the stars potential back-end). Still, far from a flop.

I imagine Sony will make a profit from it, if Django Unchained which was a Western could do over $262m then Once Upon a Time in Hollywood could well be in the $200m range as well. 

Assuming his next film is an original rather than Star Trek, I wonder if Tarantino will stick with Sony or perhaps do another bidding round as I'm sure the likes of WB or Universal would love to have a crack at a Tarantino film.

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You mean without a December release right? Because many recent movies with a December release have had the same kind of performance and sometimes even better.

Exactly. That’s what I meant, The Upside produced some insane legs in a January released movie that we have last seen in 2009 with Taken and Paul Blart.

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

A24 consistently makes great movies and their highest grossing movie didn’t even cross 50M despite being acclaimed and getting nominated for multiple Oscars.  Quality has jack shit to do with box office.  If it did, the highest grossing movie of the year would be Under the Silver Lake, but that got dumped straight to VOD.

I disagree. That would your opinion which is very extreme. Hellboy 3 is better than Lion King. Booksmart is the best movie of the year (not as good as super bad imo)

Movies made for very narrow demographics are often going to make very little. White Crow is a wonderful film that made maybe 5 million worldwide. Obviously I'm referring to mass market products not ones that don't affect the overall market much.

13 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Exactly. That’s what I meant, The Upside produced some insane legs in a January released movie that we have last seen in 2009 with Taken and Paul Blart.

I loved Taken so much fun to watch. 5x legs wow!

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

A24 consistently makes great movies and their highest grossing movie didn’t even cross 50M despite being acclaimed and getting nominated for multiple Oscars.  Quality has jack shit to do with box office.  If it did, the highest grossing movie of the year would be Under the Silver Lake, but that got dumped straight to VOD.

Yeah well when A24 buys every pre-existing studio and franchise they can get their hands on and sucks all the air out of culture by hogging up screen space with bland parasitic anonymous Content then maybe they'll be worth something

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I loved Taken so much fun to watch. 5x legs wow!

2009 had a lot of small movies break out big in the box office except for that movie in December. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Unless you're J. Edgar lol (even if that movie really did look lame and boring and even his starpower couldn't rescue it from being label "Failed Oscar Bait 101").

Leo does not play it safe. He jumped in to work with Clint on a unpopular character. Still his record is exemplary. There is no reason why a QT movie with Leo will underperform. his movies are mainstream friendly.

24 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I will give him the Revenant and The Great Gatsby but not the others. They have all been either Scorcesse, Spielberg, Nolan, Tarantino or Cameron. Those are some heavy hitters that can guarantee you great quality script and attention. You just have be present in their productions and they will give 100m movies. 

The prestige did 109 M with 2 stars (Bale and Jackman)

Then Nolan made Dark knight, it was a huge success but it was  a batman movie, helped a lot by Ledger's death so the fact inception did 828 M dollars WW is just incredible. Leo is the star of the biggest no-Batman Nolan movie.

The wolf and Shuttered made 300 and 400 m not 100. So... 

And you really denying Leonardo Di Caprio's impact for Titanic? The Leo Mania was everywhere, every analyst knows the movie was huge because of some teen girls 25 views. Again Cameron was big but never THAT big as for Titanic. 

Of course people liked all the movie, not only Leo but his impact for the movie is history. 

Edited by maxalcamo

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

We need more of you with that Hailee Steinfeld DP.

That sounds very very dirty in my dirty mind, I know that Hailee is of age but is Han yet? 

25 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I will give him the Revenant and The Great Gatsby but not the others. They have all been either Scorcesse, Spielberg, Nolan, Tarantino or Cameron. Those are some heavy hitters that can guarantee you great quality script and attention. You just have be present in their productions and they will give 100m movies. 

Tarantino underperformed with Hateful 8 a decidedly less star power driven movie than Django and Bastards so Leo cannot be discounted as at least an added value with Brad if not a draw with him. The selling point was clearly Leo&Brad finally together.  Scorcese underperformed with Hugo and outright bombed with Silence, his Leo-less movies. All movies he made with Leo, save GONY made over 100M dom. Nolan, see the boxoffice for his original movies w/o Leo and the one with Leo and it's a pretty big difference. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino-box-office-lion-king-weekend-1202654606/

Sony’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had a fantastic night at the box office with $5.8M from showtimes that began at 4PM, and ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits are great at a solid 4 stars and 55% definite recommend.

While tracking at the Quentin Tarantino ode to the summer of ’69 in the low $30Ms, he could very well be looking at his best opening of his career, besting Inglourious Basterds‘ $38M.

Prior to this the biggest preview night for Tarantino was Inglourious Basterds’ midnight shows with $1.3M back in August 2009. Last night’s haul beats Dunkirk‘s $5.5M, another July pic from a moviegoer fave auteur which wound up squashing its $35M-$40M tracking at the time with a $50.5M.

f42.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maxalcamo said:

The prestige did 109 M with 2 stars (Bale and Jackman)

Then Nolan made Dark knight, it was a huge success but it was  a batman movie, helped a lot by Ledger's death so the fact inception did 828 M dollars WW is just incredible. Leo is the star of the biggest no-Batman Nolan movie.

The wolf and Shuttered made 300 and 400 m not 100. So... 

And you really denying Leonardo Di Caprio's impact for Titanic? The Leo Mania was everywhere, every analyst knows the movie was huge because of some teen girls 25 views. Again Cameron was big but never THAT big as for Titanic. 

Of course people like all the movie, not only Leo but his impact for the movie is history. 

It’s doesn’t really take that much to make these movies directed by these directors hit, if they provide you all the right ingredients and step by step preparation and delivery. 

He has a lot of other movies that didnt crack 100m that weren’t directed by none of those directors. 

And when I say 100m I am only talking about domestic market.