sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Leo does not play it safe. He jumped in to work with Clint on a unpopular character. Still his record is exemplary. There is no reason why a QT movie with Leo will underperform. his movies are mainstream friendly.

Leo doesn't play it safe cause movies he turned into the blockbusters were not that on paper. How can anyone think that WOWS a 3 hours long epic on sex drugs and debauchery was going to be a global hit? Nobody signs up for that movie thinking almost 400M WW. And yet, it made 900K less than Solo. Go figure.

point being, because his movies tend to be hits, it creates illusion they are safe choices whereas when you really look at them they are mostly surprise blockbusters but not that on the paper. 

• Like 1

Going by early numbers I am seeing $50mn is completely off the table so don't get your expectations that high. I haven't looked up for comps and neither really wanna at this hour but $17-19mn Friday including Previews.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Tarantino underperformed with Hateful 8 a decidedly less star power driven movie than Django and Bastards so Leo cannot be discounted as at least an added value with Brad if not a draw with him. The selling point was clearly Leo&Brad finally together.  Scorcese underperformed with Hugo and outright bombed with Silence, his Leo-less movies. All movies he made with Leo, save GONY made over 100M dom. Nolan, see the boxoffice for his original movies w/o Leo and the one with Leo and it's a pretty big difference. 

And how many movies does he have that failed to do as much as the movies with these directors.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Anyone who discounts Leo's star power have to be ignored. He has proved it over and over again. This is despite not playing safe and hitching on to a franchise.

Leo's going to give Ari Aster his first 1 billie movie and then everyone will say Aster plays it safe. :stirthepot:

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Going by early numbers I am seeing $50mn is completely off the table so don't get your expectations that high. I haven't looked up for comps and neither really wanna at this hour but $17-19mn Friday including Previews.

This'll uptick with afternoon screenings imo

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

mega frontloadedness incoming!!!!!!:ohmygod:

;)

Come on, the directors he works with are a big reason his movies score such high numbers. He basically replaced Cruise in working with all the acclaimed directors that abandoned Cruise. Once Cruise stopped working with highly acclaimed directors his movies flopped. Leo basically took his place. His movies aren't risky, the characters he plays appeal to the average male demo. They are not obscure characters

Edited by Alli
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Anything above 40M is a massive success in my book.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Come on, the directors he works with are a big reason his movies score such high numbers. He basically replaced Cruise in working with all the acclaimed directors that abandoned Cruise. Once Cruise stopped working with highly acclaimed directors his movies flopped. Leo basically took his place. His movies aren't risky, the characters he plays appeal to the average male demo. They are not obscure characters

They are making out like the directors need him and he will do 100 m with any director. He has only 2 movies that have made over 100m with two directors that aren’t that prolific with 100m movies. Other than he have worked with the best of the best. 

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

His movies aren't risky

Yes they are. A 3 hour meditation in the woods with very short bursts of action is a risky sell. He's not doing Disney's™ Hercules or something.

• Like 1