sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

I am really amazed by The Upside more than anything this year. How do you make 108m with just 20m opening in this age? Even for a movie that didn’t receive good reviews.

You mean without a December release right? Because many recent movies with a December release have had the same kind of performance and sometimes even better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Because cinema was never dead. Other studios need to stop making awful movies and up their game. 

Awful is your opinion. 

Critical reception wise, we’ve had 6 Rotten #1 films this summer and 3 fresh. 

🌚

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

idk whats more impressive hellboy , the predator or dark phoenix, i cant decide

Hellboy has Endgame as an excuse, Dark Phoenix was released in the summer and had bad reception with bigger movies around it that had also better reception.

The Predator otoh has no excuses. It was just a pile of garbage.

5 minutes ago, tawasal said:

They are also directors well known for producing movies that make over 100m that don’t need big name stars. 

I would say Innarritu, while well known, doesn't fit this criteria. Also Scorsese has become a lot more consistent commercially over the past decade and a half (compared to previous at least) in large part because of DiCaprio.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Hellboy has Endgame as an excuse, Dark Phoenix was released in the summer and had bad reception with bigger movies around it that had also better reception.

i really believe that studios should really think more sometimes, why you will make a hellboy or a predator movie when most of this bomb or were very very small hits

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The thing is though, Dark Pheonix will likely end up losing more money than any superhero movie ever (it's between this film and Green Lantern). It really has no excuse to do so badly.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

The thing is though, Dark Pheonix will likely end up losing more money than any superhero movie ever (it's between this film and Green Lantern). It really has no excuse to do so badly.

i dont understand fox some times , i mean did thy really think that the script was so good so they proceed ....

5 minutes ago, tawasal said:

They are also directors well known for producing movies that make over 100m that don’t need big name stars. 

The ones that fit this description are Cameron,Spielberg, Nolan and arguably Tarantino (he needs the stars for his movies to be truly big) and Leo worked only once with three of them. But a Scorsese, Inarritu even Lurman movie  without Leo being a big commercial hit? yeah no.

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Awful is your opinion. 

Critical reception wise, we’ve had 6 Rotten #1 films this summer and 3 fresh. 

🌚

I made zero mention of any film. If people are upset about one studio dominating, the others need to up their game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The renevant made 500M only because of Leo and his award worthy really talked performance. Period. If this is not star power I don't know what it is.

In this movie anyway everything is working, "Di Caprio + Pitt as a comedy couple in a 60's movie directed by Tarantino" is the strong brand, not only Di Caprio. 

Edited by maxalcamo
  • Like 3

in retrospect, i should have seen it coming. this had huge number of views and especially likes for an original movie.  350K likes for that first trailer. Top Gun 2 is struggling at 270K. 

Edited by Alli

I will give him the Revenant and The Great Gatsby but not the others. They have all been either Scorcesse, Spielberg, Nolan, Tarantino or Cameron. Those are some heavy hitters that can guarantee you great quality script and attention. You just have be present in their productions and they will give 100m movies.