sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Staggered WW release for Once Upon a Time sucks ass. Probably won't be able to watch it in cinemas now.

why can't you see it in the cinema?

Because you're not 18 yet?

Not alot of positive to write about this weekend.

Good guess on OUaTiH Charlie. Your 41 weekend is probably the ceiling. Depending upon how it does today it could miss 40. That preview to OD ratio is not very strong. Will be interesting to see what its legs are like. it feels like it is playing well in a couple of big cities but may not be playing well in other places.

TLK taking a big second weekend fall. So it will finish 11th DOM in the 550-600 range. Probably 9th WW.

TS4 is probably the best story this weekend. A 50% increase on Friday and it should do well on the weekend. It is 15.5M up on TS3 now and should be at least 16.5M up by Sunday. Going to go past TS3, likely to go past CM at this point. Would love to see it leg out past Shreck 2.

Crawl and Yday are having great runs for movies that weren't really expected to do anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

At this point, I am indifferent about TLK (English). The film was below my expectations, so it can go 1.8 Billion or 1.4 Billion. It don't matter.

If you were expecting TLK to be a good film then you only have yourself to blame

Edited by TMP
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

why can't you see it in the cinema?

Because you're not 18 yet?

Age has nothing to do with the release date lol. I just don't have time to watch movies in the cinema every weekend. I'm out of country right now and will only be back on the weekend its releasing and likely can't go to the cinemas until September. I was actually going to watch it in the place I'm in right now but they moved the release date to the 15th here too. 

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Age has nothing to do with the release date lol. I just don't have time to watch movies in the cinema every weekend. I'm out of country right now and will only be back on the weekend its releasing and likely can't go to the cinemas until September. I was actually going to watch it in the place I'm in right now but they moved the release date to the 15th here too. 

Gotcha. It'll still be around in september though, you might have to seek it out at a different cinema at that point but should be able to watch it.

Edited by Avatree

I'm kinda glad TLK isn't holding spectacularly.  Disney really could have done so much better...

It will still make tons of cash, no doubt.  But watching it lose steam a little quicker than expected is satisfying.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

So glad that The Farewell is doing great numbers in limited release.  Saw it two days ago and it's excellent, one of the best of the year.  Hopefully it continues its momentum into wide release.

Been very much looking forward to seeing it unfortunately gotta wait til September to check it out

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HeatSeeker said:

I'm kinda glad TLK isn't holding spectacularly.  Disney really could have done so much better...

How?

I havent seen the film but judging by all the comments, reviews etc. - the choice to be photorealistic means by necessity you lose the expression and liveliness of animation.

But the choice to be photorealistic is what has attracted so many people to watch it.

Other criticisms on it being the same, remake - well, what do you think they should have done differently?

People would be complaining if they changed the story.

Do a version without these shitty song versions?

what do you think disney could have done better?

Also, reminder, seven days into release:

Worldwide:  $728,651,534  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Deadline numbers are late enough they should be about right for Fri. Final nail in the coffin for 400M FFH and 360M Aladdin (without Labor Day action)

If movies stay all through August, nothing is dead yet b/c Regal is starting their Moviepass-esque subscription next week...and we all know Moviepass helped to give some crazy legs, especially late ones, to a lot of "rewatchable" movies...and popular rom com musicals (yes, that's the strength of this Aladdin) and superhero comedies tend to both be heavily rewatchable...