Eric Prime

Malignant | September 10 2021 | A James Wan Horror Joint

43 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

1.98M.

And you are more concerned about the numbers than Warner...

this is a box office forum wyd.

anyway this will for sure be a cult classic even if it flops. better than smashing and being forgotten the next month like the nun

Edited by Cruel Summer

46 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

78% with 65 reviews.

Verified audience score up to 51%.

As much as I enjoyed this movie, I am absolutely gobsmacked that it is 78% with critics. I would have guessed 40's-low 50's tops. In fact, I would have assumed the numbers were reversed: 51% critics, 78% audience.

I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it. The story and characters are decidedly slight, but Wan is clearly having tons of fun showing off his skills as a technician behind the camera.

And maybe my threshold for weird horror is just at a different place than others' (especially since much of the horror I like seems to be of the indie or indie-influenced variety), but I didn't find this nearly as audience-alienating as advance word had suggested. It's really bizarre, yes, but it still feels more mainstream-friendly to me than, say, an Ari Aster film or something else from the A24 wheelhouse. In fact, this would have been a blast to watch in a packed theater with an audience that's really into what Wan is doing.

I’m not too worried about Wan’s ability to get future horror projects funded. Even outside of the leeway that his non-horror franchise work will get him, the fact that he launched two long-running horror series means that I think studios will still give him a shot at his horror ideas in the hopes of getting another Saw or Conjuring. The only catch is he won’t necessarily get as much money as he had to play with for Malignant.

57 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I’m not too worried about Wan’s ability to get future horror projects funded. Even outside of the leeway that his non-horror franchise work will get him, the fact that he launched two long-running horror series means that I think studios will still give him a shot at his horror ideas in the hopes of getting another Saw or Conjuring. The only catch is he won’t necessarily get as much money as he had to play with for Malignant.

Three actually. Insidious has 4 successful movies with a 5th one already shot and ready to be released.

• Like 3

This movie is trending on twitter for 48 hours and no signs of slowing down.

James Wan is one of the best guys in Hollywood for franchises so he's fine, Malignant was never meant to be a huge crowdpleaser anyway.

But even without aiming huge audiences, it's starting to feel impactful when despite low box office people can't stop talking about it. I suspect this will be huge in HBO Max on the long run, sadly they don't send numbers for Nielsen.

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

LMAO @charlie Jatinder wasn't kidding with the Anniyan comparison. Obviously this movie is nothing but a masterpiece.

Anniyan had a weird moment back in, I want to say 2005 since I was in engineering, it's Shankar's weirdest movie by far. And this is the guy who directed a movie in which a robot replicates itself to become a lot of robots which become a huge ball followed by becoming a cobra