Eric Quinn

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

If Hobbs and Shaw can get to over $700M then that’s a clear win for Universal. I’m sure they’d have loved to get over $1B but that’s easier said than done. But I’d call this movie a success because it’s going to be a W financially and also because it sets up future installments for this spin off franchise. Without getting too spoilerly I think the way this film sets up the sequel is really well done. So now Universal can have this as a franchise going forward and the main Fast and Furious franchise as well. So I’d say Hobbs and Shaw did it’s job. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I remember that summer really well.  First of all, it was last time me and my mother saw a movie at the theatre before I moved to Toronto and before she passed away 7 years later.  We saw American Beauty and we both loved it.  As for Blair and Sixth, they were two of the biggest surprises to come out that summer and the awesome thing about Blair Witch was the marketing campaign.  People, including myself, thought the whole thing was real.  It ended up seeing BW 5 times in the theatre, it was one of my favourite movie going experiences ever.  

Amazing! It’s still my #1 scariest film of all time. Still get chills at the end. 

46 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Even then it has a  massive break even and appears to be on its way to a loss. Maybe barely break even with video?

It’s Saturday morning. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I agree with posters that the real heart of the film was obscured from advertising. The whole third act is not in adverts/trailers. (Actually I've seen ads since then that include it - but I had seen lots of advertising prior to, and didn't know anything in third act. In fact when the middle section finished, I thought that was the end of the film. 

The third act is a real delight and has so much love and heart in it. It was a nice surprise having not been aware from trailers. But yes I can see that obfuscating it from trailers may have not helped. I liked it being sold as action comedy but maybe better to sell it as a standard F&F film.

I have no clue what movie you are talking about. Shazam or Hobbs and Shaw? Because the Hobbs and Shaw trailer spoiled the whole movie and Shazam can't be sold as a standard F&F movie.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I have no clue what movie you are talking about. Shazam or Hobbs and Shaw? Because the Hobbs and Shaw trailer spoiled the whole movie and Shazam can't be sold as a standard F&F movie.

It didn't though? Literally every single shot in Hobbs & Shaw trailer is from first two acts. At least the trailer that was playing in cinemas I've been to.

• Like 2

okay @lorddemaxus I've just watched the second trailer.. WOw. That did spoil the whole film. Rubbish trailer. I just watched the main trailer again and yes not one shot from third act - glad that was the one promoted the most.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Gotta appeal to those boomers/Gen X-ers who don't give a shit about silent movies or the studio era. They do want to relive their youths of course.

Edited by cannastop
  • ...wtf 1

So I was going to come in here and say none of the trailers I’ve seen spoiled the whole movie or the third act but then I remembered I only watched the first trailer and was sold on the film. Just watched the second trailer and umm that’s literally the 3 minute version of the movie :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

okay @lorddemaxus I've just watched the second trailer.. WOw. That did spoil the whole film. Rubbish trailer. I just watched the main trailer again and yes not one shot from third act - glad that was the one promoted the most.

Just now, Nova said:

So I was going to come in here and say none of the trailers I’ve seen spoiled the whole movie or the third act but then I remembered I only watched the first trailer and was sold on the film. Just watched the second trailer and umm that’s literally the 3 minute version of the movie :ph34r:

We watched the second trailer at the same time :sherlock:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Gotta appeal to those boomers/Gen X-ers who don't give a shit about silent movies or the studio era. They do want to relive their youths of course.

CNN wants to make programs that people will actually watch? Who knew. 

41 minutes ago, baumer said:

The trailer for Hobbs and Shaw did not spoil the whole movie.

According to two people here, it seems to have (the second trailer I mean). And it helps that these films have a simple story and you can clearly see where the different acts start from the trailer itself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

More like catering to most later Millennials and Z or is it now Z.P2?

Boomers started being born just after WWII - which would mean for many their youth would have been in the 50s and 60s during the studio era.  Even those born later and Gen X and early Millennials grew up with studio films being played on regular old TV, morning, noon,  night and late late night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Boomers started being born just after WWII - which would mean for many their youth would have been in the 50s and 60s during the studio era.  Even those born later and Gen X and early Millennials grew up with studio films being played on regular old TV, morning, noon,  night and late late night.

I just assumed that anyone born since 1990 wasn't going to watch CNN anyways.

9 hours ago, Jim Shorts said:

I haven’t heard anyone mention that movie in years! I was 9 years old at the time that’s movie came out.  I begged my dad to rent it when the video store finally got it in and ended up being too scared to watch it by myself. 

And you probably won't hear anyone mention it again after this weekend:)...

But seriously, Little Monsters was a retro trip of a movie - they just don't make them like that anymore, for good or bad:)...

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

In any case, only nerds care about silent movies, Singing in the Rain or no.

:ph34r:

I'm a nerd too.