Eric Prime

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

1 minute ago, Mr Terrific said:

I’m ok with FFH’s Friday jump, about the same as last week. 

Worried about theater drop next week. 

I'm betting it loses about 700-1K theaters next week to take it to around 2400-2700...I also bet Toys 4 loses a similar amount (possibly even slightly larger), since Dora, a kid movie, is opening...and TLK is unlikely to get the drop before Toys 4...but in areas back to school, they won't want to carry 3 kids movies (now in areas that stay out til Labor Day, carrying 3 kid movies won't be a big deal)...

The following week, I think Toys 4 gets completely dropped to only big theaters, since Angry Birds joining the kid brigade at the same time as Dora still needs to be held, and TLK probably still outgrossing Toys 4, will make Toys 4 the odd movie out.

The one thing Spidey has over all other holds is it's now the only supers movie...and theaters love to hold supers movies b/c folks show up to them at any time in a run...so you rarely get "empty theatered":)...

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Litio said:

Hobbs & Shaw is opening to No. 1 in 53 out of 63 territories with $90M abroad so far to date. 

$65m on friday?! 😲

So $180m+ OS OW?

Edit: TalismanRing thinks they are couting Asian's saturday too.

I reckon $90mn is worldwide gross, they mistyped.

That would be $41mn Friday, which is still stronger than what $25mn till Thursday suggest. Even 41mn Friday would suggest $170mn weekend though, compared to $220mn in like to like markets of Fate of the Furious, which again seems not possible as its much lower in many countries and barely matching in few.

That said Universal reporting is moronic. They fudge India numbers, don't know about other markets which aren't tracked by comScore.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm betting it loses about 700-1K theaters next week to take it to around 2400-2700...I also bet Toys 4 loses a similar amount (possibly even slightly larger), since Dora, a kid movie, is opening...and TLK is unlikely to get the drop before Toys 4...but in areas back to school, they won't want to carry 3 kids movies (now in areas that stay out til Labor Day, carrying 3 kid movies won't be a big deal)...

The following week, I think Toys 4 gets completely dropped to only big theaters, since Angry Birds joining the kid brigade at the same time as Dora still needs to be held, and TLK probably still outgrossing Toys 4, will make Toys 4 the odd movie out.

The one thing Spidey has over all other holds is it's now the only supers movie...and theaters love to hold supers movies b/c folks show up to them at any time in a run...so you rarely get "empty theatered":)...

There are 4 movies with significantly lower PTA below them on so many screens and in 1k-2k theaters that even with 4 wide openers  I don't see the drops hitting 1,000.  700 is probably the high end. TLK will lose screens as will H&S and  OUATIH.  

TS4 targets adults as well as families so Dora really isn't a direct hit against it and it's been showing it's going to have long late legs.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

How the hell is Flops & Bombs gonna reach 60M OW with a 23M OD? I don't get it.

Fallout did 61M on a 22.8M OD. Both movies had near identical previews, and H&S already did way better IM-wise with a 23.72M OD. Yeah, F&F is a more frontloaded franchise, but 60M isn't that impossible.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That would be $41mn Friday, which is still stronger than what $25mn till Thursday suggest. Even 41mn Friday would suggest $170mn weekend though, compared to $220mn in like to like markets.

That said Universal reporting is moronic. They fudge India numbers, don't know about other markets which aren't tracked by comScore.

In other words it probably didn't beat Captain Marvel OD I take it

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Fallout did 61M on a 22.8M OD. Both movies had near identical previews, and H&S already did way better IM-wise with a 23.72M OD. Yeah, F&F is a more frontloaded franchise, but 60M isn't that impossible.

MI skews older though so most of its fan base is working on Friday unlike F&F in the summer.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Lol he trolled EG for 2 months. Hes more butthurt than some of the worst MCU/DC/Avatar Stans on the board. 

He gave some bad predictions, sure, but to label him as a "troll DC butthurt fan boy" because of that is really hyperbolic. 

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

He gave some bad predictions, sure, but to label him as a "troll DC butthurt fan boy" because of that is really hyperbolic. 

One could literally only say this if you didn't read the bullcrap he wrote or just outright lie about it. Agree to disagree.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That would be $41mn Friday, which is still stronger than what $25mn till Thursday suggest. Even 41mn Friday would suggest $170mn weekend though, compared to $220mn in like to like markets of Fate of the Furious, which again seems not possible as its much lower in many countries and barely matching in few.

So what do you think will be the overall weekend? 150 mil?

3 minutes ago, Litio said:

Easter. Some holdovers had decrease on saturday too: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2017-04-15.htm

I was going to say  F7 dropped as well but that was also Easter w/e.     Slippery holiday.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=fast7.htm

But F6 had a small drop (Memorial Day w/e) and that was with only $6.5m 10pm previews with a $32.237 TF -> $31.695m Sat

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=fast6.htm

The predicted Saturday increase seems more based on Rock's other films than the F&F franchise.