Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Dominion +14% on Fallen Kingdom’s 3 day. 

Sonic 2 stil being top 5 shows there is room for family films too, I’m sure Lightyear will do well. It’s everywhere too, the trailer was played before both Top Gun and Jurassic Park at my showings. It was also all over a supermarket yesterday, plastered everywhere 😂 lots of brand tie-ins it seems. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

BFI IMAX going back to BFI control

Seems like a semi good deal? More 15/70 is good, but booking on the BFI website is baaaaaad. 

A lot of places which previously let chains run their IMAX venues or screens have decided to go back to operating them like the Glasgow Science Centre. 

I wonder if the Autumn relaunch of the BFI IMAX might include finally upgrading the Xenon projector with a IMAX with Laser projector.

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's out in three weeks so not too surprising they're already on sale.

I’m not surprised that they’re on sale, it’s more that I’m surprised by the relative lack of fanfare, NWH and DS2 had chains tweeting about tickets going on sale on a certain date, whereas here it feels like they just announced “on sale now” out of the blue. Promo seems to have picked up with the release of the new posters/TV spot though.

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if the Autumn relaunch of the BFI IMAX might include finally upgrading the Xenon projector with a IMAX with Laser projector.

I would love if they did that. The only thing I'd be worried about is if they used that as an excuse to completely negate 15/70 screenings. I hope not. 

Just now, FilmFincher said:

I would love if they did that. The only thing I'd be worried about is if they used that as an excuse to completely negate 15/70 screenings. I hope not. 

I could’ve seen Odeon trying to use that as an excuse to drop the film projector, but I doubt the BFI would. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I could’ve seen Odeon trying to use that as an excuse to drop the film projector, but I doubt the BFI would. 

Yeah, the BFI themselves have always been committed to 15/70. That's why they didn't get an HFR version of the Hobbit in favour of a film version. I just hope that them taking over again brings the prices down. Jurassic World in the only seats that are suitable for a 6ft man like myself are currently going for £27!

• Astonished 1

57 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Yeah, the BFI themselves have always been committed to 15/70. That's why they didn't get an HFR version of the Hobbit in favour of a film version. I just hope that them taking over again brings the prices down. Jurassic World in the only seats that are suitable for a 6ft man like myself are currently going for £27!

The best thing they could do is get better seats and expand the leg room, the last time I went to the BFI IMAX was for Infinity War and I’m pretty sure that my back and the knees of the guy behind me we’re practically in an intimate relationship by the end of the film.

Although better seating would mean cutting down on capacity which I can’t see them ever doing, so I’m not holding my breath.

Edited by SnokesLegs

26 minutes ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

JWD about £1m on Tuesday and Top Gun just under £800k. Wonder when Top Gun will overtake JWD :D

in other news, at my cinema at least, Lightyear is looking pretty quiet :(

Weather going to badly hurt Lightyear, but it might leg out like Monster's University which launched on a similar hot weekend

• Sad 1

Top Gun should be over £56m hopefully by Sunday. Expecting a 60% drop for JW.

The weather is amazing this week, Friday could be in the mid 30s and Saturday also looks hot so expect the BO will suffer a bit. 

Wouldn’t be surprised with only £3-4m for Lightyear, but imagine it’ll rebound and have a decently long run through June and July, and possibly beyond, similar to Sonic. Although Minions will take the limelight soon.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Weather going to badly hurt Lightyear, but it might leg out like Monster's University which launched on a similar hot weekend

North of London the weather takes a nosedive on Saturday with rain and the temperature dropping 10 degrees from Friday’s high, so it might not affect Lightyear TOO badly.

Still not expecting anything even remotely close to a Toy Story opening though, but that has more to do with it looking less appealing to adults, this one looks considerably more kid-centric.