Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Empire of Light really got rejected by UK audiences. I'm surprised Babylon is doing as well as it is considering it bombed in the US.

3 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Terrific hold for M3GAN. Good PTA start for FABELMANS, but it's only having previess at 6 sites.

The Fabelmans is only doing a handful of London cinemas this week IIRC Mostly West End apart from Picturehouse on Fulham Road and Vue in Islington. eOne clearly is aiming for the well heeled crowd.  

4 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Ah…what..?

A while back, Charlie was surprised to find out that a couple of long time posters on this board weren't guys like he thought and I kidded him a little about it since it wasn't exactly a secret.  So I presume Jat is tagging me as a "oops, I did it again" type thing. 

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I don't think, it's a good start for BABYLON. It lost to the second week of M3GAN. It's an ok OW. It didn't bomb, neither did it get a huge crowd interest.  

EMPIRE is unfortunately a very average film, older audience certainly favoured OTTO. 

With regards to Empire of Light, there’s nothing less appealing than obvious Oscar bait with bad reviews. I’m skipping it. 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

With regards to Empire of Light, there’s nothing less appealing than obvious Oscar bait with bad reviews. I’m skipping it. 

Same, I’d normally be first in line for a new Sam Mendes film (particularly one scored by Trent Reznor!) but the reviews of this one really put me off, and it just looks like another example of Olivia Coleman playing the same character that she always does. She really needs to break out of playing that kind of role or she’ll risk getting pigeonholed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Same, I’d normally be first in line for a new Sam Mendes film (particularly one scored by Trent Reznor!) but the reviews of this one really put me off, and it just looks like another example of Olivia Coleman playing the same character that she always does. She really needs to break out of playing that kind of role or she’ll risk getting pigeonholed.

I love her, but agree. I didn’t like The Lost Daughter or The Favourite. 

Edited by Krissykins

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I love her, but agree. I didn’t like The Lost Daughter or The Favourite. 

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, I’ve liked her since Peep Show and wish she’d do something lighter like a comedy (which she’s great at!) rather than these Oscar baity roles, I’m just tired of seeing her seemingly going for the same role all the time lately.

I hated The Favourite, found it to be insufferably smug, I was totally baffled why that was received so positively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

A while back, Charlie was surprised to find out that a couple of long time posters on this board weren't guys like he thought and I kidded him a little about it since it wasn't exactly a secret.  So I presume Jat is tagging me as a "oops, I did it again" type thing. 

all right…I understood

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It's nicely shot, beautifully acted, it's just a very boring story really. TBH not impressed with Sam Mendes lately. I loved all his work until SKYFALL, his last three films just meh. I know 1917 was a hit, but didn't work for me.

American Beauty and Road to Perdition are his best movies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It's nicely shot, beautifully acted, it's just a very boring story really. TBH not impressed with Sam Mendes lately. I loved all his work until SKYFALL, his last three films just meh. I know 1917 was a hit, but didn't work for me.

Someone really needs to tell Sam Mendes to stop writing his own scripts, there is a reason we have screenwriters. 

I would say his stage work is excellent though and I'd prefer if he did less films and directed more theatre.

WEEKEND NUMBERS

Film Distributor Weeks on release Weekend Total Total Box Office
1 Avatar: The Way Of Water Walt Disney 6 £2,789,760 £67,845,973
2 M3gan Universal Pictures 2 £1,354,537 £4,667,263
3 Babylon Paramount 1 £1,323,683 £1,323,683
4 Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody Sony Pictures 5 £766,245 £9,600,212
5 Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical Sony Pictures 9 £661,449 £25,804,997
6 A Man Called Otto Sony Pictures 3 £577,305 £3,638,506
7 Empire Of Light Walt Disney 3 £445,127 £2,759,699
8 TAR Universal Pictures 2 £364,363 £1,012,526
9 Strange World Walt Disney 9 £88,256 £3,828,252
10 BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER Walt Disney 11 £85,258 £34,345,903
11 Varisu Ahimsa Entertainment 4 £84,089 £808,037
12 The Amazing Maurice Sky Cinema 6 £82,948 £743,901
13 That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime The Movie: Scarlet Bond Sony Pictures 1 £62,612 £62,612
14 Holy Spider MUBI 1 £60,731 £60,731
15 Na Twoim Miejscu MAGNETES PICTURES 1 £57,883 £57,883

Source: Comscore

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:27 PM, The Dark Alfred said:

BABYLON crowd poll gave it 69% and 3 rating. Bit of a shame, thought it was good fun, but guess crowd found it a bit long.

Seeing it on Sunday morning. It does feel like a bit of an effort, especially because of the run time, bad reviews and that it’s not nominated in any major categories. 

But I like so much of the cast, so I’ll give it a go.