Directed by Taika Waititi

Based on "Thor" by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby

(118 Points, 29 Votes)

D096-Thor-Ragnarok-Variant-Mondo-Marvel-

"Piss off, ghost!"

Top 6 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 10

Awards Count: 1 Kids Choice Award Nomination

Box Office: 315.1m (309.2m Adjusted lol)

Metacritic: 74

Synopsis: Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is imprisoned on the other side of the universe and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarök, the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization, at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela (Cate Blanchett).

Critic Opinion: "It is a breezily funny moment, like a lot of Thor: Ragnarok. But once you gently pick away at it – what, exactly, is this Hollywood golden boy, whose celebrity persona has nothing to do with Thor, Loki, Hemsworth, Marvel or superhero cinema in general, doing here? – the scene makes no contextual sense outside the need for an easy laugh. Which, unfortunately, is also like a lot of Thor: Ragnarok.  The film, the God of Thunder's third solo vehicle apart from his Avengers buddies, has made every conceivable effort to twist itself into an uber-wacky comedy that might have come out of the Judd Apatow factory. Its producers hired Taika Waititi – easily New Zealand's funniest man alive, if not the wittiest filmmaker in the entire Southern Hemisphere – to ensure the gags are fresh, the dialogue is deadpan, the pacing is tight and the visuals kaleidoscopically trippy. Hemsworth, already an expert at poking holes in his heartthrob persona from his time on Paul Feig's Ghostbusters and the recent Vacation reboot (really!), is allowed to flex all manner of muscles, comedic and otherwise." - Barry Hertz, Globe and Mail

User Opinion: "Anyway, to get to my own personal review, I loved the hell out of this movie. Seriously, it's nice every once in a while to have a Marvel movie (Hell, to have a modern blockbuster in general) solely concerned with telling a fun story and having a fun time. It doesn't take itself too seriously, yet ends up feeling all the more secure in its own identity for it. Plus it finally feels like Marvel has a good handle on where Thor fits in the MCU and how to utilize him best moving forward. This really does feel like the Captain America: Winter Soldier for the Thor franchise (despite the two having wildly differing tones) both in terms of quality and their place and impact on the wider Marvel Universe." - @rukaio101

Commentary: Everyone's favourite New Zealand director who turned Thor into everyone's favourite Avenger makes the countdown.  Thor: Ragnarok takes a radical tone shift from the previous Thor movies, deciding to go full Norse space adventure ham and it pays off.  Waititi is able to fill the movie full of personality, even if it's sometimes at the expense of the stakes of it all, and just create a wildly entertaining ride.  It's a shame Infinity War and Ragnarok had to pretty much all of the major legwork Waititi did in developing the character of Thor.  It also features the best character in the entire MCU, Korg.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (13), 100m (7), 200m (4), 300m (4), 400m (4)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (8), 10s (16)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Cronenberg (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Nolan (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (8), Chris Evans (5), Batman (4), Iron Man (3), X-Men (3), Spider-Man (3), Captain America (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Black Panther (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Hulk (1), Men in Black (1), Superman (1), Thor (1)

Valkyrie-Thor.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

Hey, I just saw someone Not Cool Panda for the CACW post.  Friendly reminder: that reaction is for when someone posts something truly offensive, outrageous, or off-color.  It's not for when you don't like that the community ranked a movie you don't like at that position.  Panda has no control over that and his write-ups for these countdowns are always thoughtful and formatted like a dream.  You want to Not Cool me for this, that's fine.  Just, you know, food for thought.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Hey, I just saw someone Not Cool Panda for the CACW post.  Friendly reminder: that reaction is for when someone posts something truly offensive, outrageous, or off-color.  It's not for when you don't like that the community ranked a movie you don't like at that position.  Panda has no control over that and his write-ups for these countdowns are always thoughtful and formatted like a dream.  You want to Not Cool me for this, that's fine.  Just, you know, food for thought.

lol. Thought you were talking about someone else doing that. The guy who left a Not Cool on Akira is going through a rough time, so I don't mind.

• Thanks 1

OgxJwyN.png

Spider-Man (2002)

Directed by Sam Raimi

Based on "The Amazing Spider-Man" by Stan Lee

(120 Points, 30 Votes)

383c9b989815bb499bab897a86503de2.jpg

"This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-man."

Number 2 Placements: 2

Top 4 Placements: 3

Top 6 Placements: 4

Top 10 Placements: 11

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Oscars

Box Office: 403.7m (626.1m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 73

Synopsis: Based on Marvel Comics' superhero character, this is a story of Peter Parker who is a nerdy high-schooler. He was orphaned as a child, bullied by jocks, and can't confess his crush for his stunning neighborhood girl Mary Jane Watson. To say his life is "miserable" is an understatement. But one day while on an excursion to a laboratory a runaway radioactive spider bites him... and his life changes in a way no one could have imagined. Peter acquires a muscle-bound physique, clear vision, ability to cling to surfaces and crawl over walls, shooting webs from his wrist ... but the fun isn't going to last. An eccentric millionaire Norman Osborn administers a performance enhancing drug on himself and his maniacal alter ego Green Goblin emerges. Now Peter Parker has to become Spider-Man and take Green Goblin to the task... or else Goblin will kill him. They come face to face and the war begins in which only one of them will survive at the end.

Critic Opinion: "However, the real stars, as they are in the comic books, are the characters, and Raimi has cast them perfectly. Like you, I blanched at the thought of Tobey Maguire playing Spider-Man and wondered how the scrawny actor would fill out that amazing red-and-blue Spider-Man outfit. But the actor pumped some iron, and Raimi's effects geniuses and stunt men did the rest. Whoever's in that suit looks good.  In the Peter Parker role, Maguire is perfect. Those doe eyes and stammering speech make him a perfect stand-in Everyman, and his inherent, shy-guy amiability adds credibility to the simmering romance between him and M.J. Dunst, who participates in one of the most gratuitous wet T-shirt scenes since "Wild Party Girls Spring Break Uncensored," adds enough sex appeal to turn any spider into an animal. Then, there's Dafoe, fresh off his turn as Nosferatu in "Shadow of the Vampire" and still, essentially, in character. With his snarl and menacing voice, the bony-faced actor puts the scare in archvillain and takes Spider-Man to the max. Let the summer begin." - Jack Matthews, New York Daily News

User Opinion: "All five Spider-movies are flawed, including the sacred cow SM2, but this is easily the one that comes closest to capturing the full magic of the mythos. Breathtaking shots, moments that punch you in the gut, a villain who switches from nasty to incredibly fun to nasty again with incredible ease, and most importantly, a romance that was worth rooting for." - @Spidey Freak

Commentary: The Marvel film that really re-invigorated the superhero craze and arguably paved the path for the Avengers and the MCU to be possible.  While it's not exactly a modern superhero movie anymore, Raimi delivers a classic that ups the cheese and left audiences pining for more.  I remember seeing this film in theaters as a little kid and all of the action spectacle being breathtaking to watch.  This is a movie that really set the bar for how a superhero origin story should be done.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (13), 100m (7), 200m (4), 300m (4), 400m (5)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (9), 10s (16)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Cronenberg (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Nolan (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (8), Chris Evans (5), Batman (4), Spider-Man (4), Iron Man (3), X-Men (3), Captain America (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Black Panther (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Hulk (1), Men in Black (1), Superman (1), Thor (1)

spider-man-2002-1.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

okay, 15 left

I certainly wouldn't want to spoil the countdown, but I'm going to guess that all of these 13 will be included:

Spoiler

2x Nolan Batman

3x Avengers

Iron Man, Winter Soldier, GOTG, Black Panther

Wonder Woman, Logan, SpiderVerse, Spider-Man 2

There's probably one really big obvious one that I'm forgetting, but that means that just about all of these are going to miss out:

Spoiler

apologies if I missed one of these on the list, but I don't think I've seen any of these yet-

-Superman (honestly a better movie than Superman 2, but it's taken some of us a long time to figure that out)

-KickAss

-Kingsman The Secret Service

-Sin City (an absolutely stunning adaptation of comics to screen)

-Edge of Tomorrow (I thought people on this forum LOVED this movie, how is it not on the list???)

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, kitik said:

okay, 15 left

I certainly wouldn't want to spoil the countdown, but I'm going to guess that all of these 13 will be included:

Reveal hidden contents

There's probably one really big obvious one that I'm forgetting, but that means that just about all of these are going to miss out:

Reveal hidden contents

Oldboy ain't missing i don't think

• Sad 1

jxBwHZc.png

Superman (1978)

Directed by Richard Donner

Based on "Superman" by Jerry Seigel and Joe Schuster

(123 Points, 27 Votes)

1976-superman-movie-poster-art-3.jpg?res

"I'm here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way."

Number 1 Placement: 1

Top 4 Placements: 2

Top 6 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 13

Awards Count: Nominated for 3 Oscars

Box Office: 134.5m (516.8m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 80

Synopsis: Just before the destruction of the planet Krypton, scientist Jor-El sends his infant son Kal-El on a spaceship to Earth. Raised by kindly farmers Jonathan and Martha Kent, young Clark discovers the source of his superhuman powers and moves to Metropolis to fight evil. As Superman, he battles the villainous Lex Luthor, while, as novice reporter Clark Kent, he attempts to woo co-worker Lois Lane

Critic Opinion: "Superman is a pure delight, a wondrous combination of all the old-fashioned things we never really get tired of: adventure and romance, heroes and villains, earthshaking special effects, and -- you know what else? Wit. That surprised me more than anything: That this big-budget epic, which was half a decade making its way to the screen, would turn out to have an intelligent sense of humor about itself.  The wit, to be sure, is a little slow in revealing itself. The film's opening scenes combine great intergalactic special effects with ponderous acting and dialogue -- most of it from Marlon Brando, who, as Superman's father, sends the kid to Earth in a spaceship that barely survives the destruction of the planet Krypton. Brando was allegedly paid $3 million for his role, or, judging by his dialogue, $500,000 a cliché. After Superbaby survives his space flight and lands in a Midwestern wheat field, however, the movie gets down to earth, too. And it has the surprising ability to have fun with its special effects. That's surprising because special effects on this vast scale (falling airliners, derailing passenger trains, subterranean dungeons, cracks in the earth, volcanic eruptions, dams bursting) are so expensive and difficult that it takes a special kind of courage to kid them a little -- instead of regarding them with awe, as in the witless Earthquake." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "This is still the best Superman movie around, I guess I'm in the minority that likes this better than Superman 2." - @darkelf

Commentary: The original superhero classic, and the movie that laid out the framework for the entire genre, Superman.  I'd say from a pure influential standpoint this movie is ranked for too low on this countdown, as there's no comic book film more influential on the genre than the one that laid the foundation in the first place.  However, it's easy to see why it wasn't able to punch through to a top spot given there are many aspects of this movie that may seem dated to the modern eyes.  Despite this, Superman was still a technical marvel for its time and all of the caped heroes to follow owe a great deal to the original man in tights.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (13), 100m (8), 200m (4), 300m (4), 400m (5)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (9), 10s (16)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Nolan (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (8), Chris Evans (5), Batman (4), Spider-Man (4), Iron Man (3), X-Men (3), Captain America (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Black Panther (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Hulk (1), Men in Black (1), Thor (1)

header-superman-1978-everything-wrong-in

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, The Panda said:

jxBwHZc.png

Superman (1978)

User Opinion: "This is still the best Superman movie around, I guess I'm in the minority that likes this better than Superman 2." - @darkelf

I'm pleased to see this on the list, and above Superman 2.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, kitik said:

okay, 15 left

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Oldboy

46 minutes ago, kitik said:

I'd like to commend @The Panda for keeping this list chugging along.

Usually I avoid these countdowns because it feels like it takes a month for it to get anywhere, but this one has been moving like clockwork.

in especial as the descriptions, reactions, counts,  presentation format,... are done in a way over average way (= tons of work I think)

• Like 3