Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread: It 2 40.74 (-55%), Hustlers 33.23 (Record for STX and J-Lo), Goldflop 2.64 (LOL)

44 minutes ago, Nova said:

La La Land had a net profit of $68.25M (including home video) despite making $427M at the box office accord to deadline. In the USA, Lionsgate spent $50M on P&A alone which obviously doesn’t include the amount other distributors spent on it in other countries. 

No Oscar film is going to be promoted as heavily as a blockbuster, including A Star Is Born considering most blockbusters can have marketing budgets upwards of $200M. WB didn’t over spend on A Star Is Born. Sony  just spent less than usual on a CBM

Lionsgate sold foreign rights as usual which is why it's profits were lower than if they had distributed WW.   They had no idea it would go on to do $427m WW.

Sony's expenditure for SM:HC was finally in line with other CBMs whereas they had greatly overspent in P&A before  ($250m+ was crazy).  CBM like other tent-poles can hugely add to their marketing with tie-ins (where they pay no money and usually don't get money either).  SM:FFR according to Deadline had about $140m worth of tie ins - about the same amount as what they sent on P&A.  So around $280-300m worth in marketing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Lionsgate sold foreign rights as usual which is why it's profits were lower than if they had distributed WW.   They had no idea it would go on to do $427m WW.

Sony's expenditure for SM:HC was finally in line with other CBMs whereas they had greatly overspent in P&A before  ($250m+ was crazy).  CBM like other tent-poles can hugely add to their marketing with tie-ins (where they pay no money and usually don't get money either).  SM:FFR according to Deadline had about $140m worth of tie ins - about the same amount as what they sent on P&A.  So around $280-300m worth in marketing.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but doesn’t Lionsgate typically sell the international rights for their films? That’s the vibe I’ve gotten from them but I could be mistaken. Or do they only sell if they’re unsure of the international potential for the film? 

Solid weekend. Looks like IT2 followed IT1's F13th dang well as Saturday was in line - as I pointed out as a possibility yesterday (for the benefit of the newb yipping about us old.hats being off.) Next weekend will be how we determine if there is just some unheard of new method of behavior or if F13 really did tweak the scare flicks as it appears. 

Glad IT2 has passed 150 and sets it up for getting near 220m. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but doesn’t Lionsgate typically sell the international rights for their films? That’s the vibe I’ve gotten from them but I could be mistaken. Or do they only sell if they’re unsure of the international potential for the film? 

Almost always. It mitigates exposure / cost / risk especially on larger budgeted fare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's very expensive to set up distribution globally so a lot of the mini majors like Lionsgate and also STX have to rely on bigger or foreign distributors to release their films worldwide with a few exceptions,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So Hustlers/IT combined are doing 300+, Downton is looking to be a breakout, Rambo could do well, and Abominable likely to do decent as it’s the only kids fare in town. 

Solid September I gotta say.

I wonder what Downton's budget is, my guess would be $20-25m as that's on par with Victoria and Abdul and Mary Queen of Scots, 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder what Downton's budget is, my guess would be $20-25m as that's on par with Victoria and Abdul and Mary Queen of Scots, 

The TV series was made for pennies, so would be surprised if it was $25M for the movie. Not sure how different the film and show are but apparently the episodes were only $1.5M.