Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread: It 2 40.74 (-55%), Hustlers 33.23 (Record for STX and J-Lo), Goldflop 2.64 (LOL)

13 minutes ago, Alli said:

JLopez - Jack of all trades, master of none

On top of a $3bn box office history and 80 million records sold, she’s just had her biggest opening weekend of her career and she’s 50 years old

Maybe she’s master of.... longevity. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That $150m goal post makes the top 2 looks far closer than reality.   :lol:

Counting in $150M increments passed:  

Disney — 14 (Endgame 5, TLK 3, TS4, CM, Ali 2)

Universal — 4 

Sony* — 2 

Lionsgate — 1 

WB — 1 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Counting in $150M increments passed:  

Disney — 14 (Endgame 5, TLK 3, TS4, CM, Ali 2)

Universal — 4 

Sony* — 2 

Lionsgate — 1 

WB — 1 

Counting in $200M increments:

BV — 11 (EG 4, TLK TS4 CM 2, Ali 1)

Sony* — 1

WB — 0 (soon to be 1)

Universal — 0

Lionsgate — 0

• Astonished 1

Wow! Holdovers did really well this weekend! 

I need to check out the film Hustlers sometime hopefully in the theater or I may to unfortunately wait. The trailer looked fun as hell. It’s debut is great! Considering that Jennifer Lopez hasn’t had a major hit since Monster In Law back in 2005. Everything else was animated or did alright but nothing spectacular. I have a feeling that this could do around $100 million domestic total! 

I really dislike the idea of Hustlers, from what I've heard its a film about strippers stealing money from people, like it's a good thing?

I was taken advantage of by some strippers last year and they swiped my whole bank account, about $14,000. It's not funny and i don't see why it should be glamourised.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I just realised after all this chat, A Star is Born made more than Venom domestically despite opening to half. 😂 

But yeh, one is an R rated romantic drama. The other is a huge budgeted, marvel brand, comic book, PG13 spider man spin off. 

The only thing they have in common was release date in America.

And ASIB is a 5 star movie, IMO. Venom is easily a 1. 

Yeah, there is no comparison in terms of how impressive their US runs were.

Edited by Jiffy

19 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I really dislike the idea of Hustlers, from what I've heard its a film about strippers stealing money from people, like it's a good thing?

I was taken advantage of by some strippers last year and they swiped my whole bank account, about $14,000. It's not funny and i don't see why it should be glamourised.

Because the marks are douchy Wall Street brokers who tanked the economy in 08. And most people aren't boobs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Just in case if anyone thought the above statement is legit. 

Warner Bros kept production costs on this star-driven project quite low at $35M, with Live Nation funding one-third of that budget. Global P&A of $110M included fall festival launches at Venice and Toronto and an awards campaign that generated eight Oscar nominations — including best picture and an original song win for the Gaga co-produced track “Shallow.”

Venom bled plenty of black ink, enough to match his costume. A profit of $246.9M bests the $200.1M profit on 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming by 23%, and that’s largely because Venom cost less in combined production and worldwide P&A costs ($227M) than the wall crawler (Spider-Man: Homecoming‘s costs were $332M).

Worldwide prints and ads ASIB . 110 million

Worldwide prints and ads Venom - 127 million

You inflated venom by 100 million dear.

Kinda tragic that a little awards-bait movie was pushed the same amount as a blockbuster. 

https://deadline.com/2019/03/a-star-is-born-box-office-profit-2018-1202580798/

https://deadline.com/2019/03/venom-box-office-profit-2018-1202583895/

Edited by HeadShot
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Just in case if anyone thought the above statement is legit. 

Warner Bros kept production costs on this star-driven project quite low at $35M, with Live Nation funding one-third of that budget. Global P&A of $110M included fall festival launches at Venice and Toronto and an awards campaign that generated eight Oscar nominations — including best picture and an original song win for the Gaga co-produced track “Shallow.”

Venom bled plenty of black ink, enough to match his costume. A profit of $246.9M bests the $200.1M profit on 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming by 23%, and that’s largely because Venom cost less in combined production and worldwide P&A costs ($227M) than the wall crawler (Spider-Man: Homecoming‘s costs were $332M).

Oh btw that 227 PA is for homecoming . Read better next time. 

• Knock It Off 1

50 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Counting in $200M increments:

BV — 11 (EG 4, TLK TS4 CM 2, Ali 1)

Sony* — 1

WB — 0 (soon to be 1)

Universal — 0

Lionsgate — 0

In increments of $171.5M (this is, obvious, a highly engineered choice — the following is for humor rather than being a good cutoff):  

BV — 14 (EG 5, TLK 3, TS4 CM Ali 2)

Sony* — 2  

Uni — 1  

WB — 0 (soon to be 1) 

rest — 0

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

If you think Best Original Song is an irrelevant category for a film about original music then...

:Gaga:

Doesn't matter. It's still the most irrelevant category. Big whoop a musical won the music category Oscar.  Who would have seen that one coming.  Awards wise it was a failure. It went from being the frontrunner in every major category to losing everything. I would have understood the need for a re-release had it actually won something significant. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I just realised after all this chat, A Star is Born made more than Venom domestically despite opening to half. 😂 

But yeh, one is an R rated romantic drama. The other is a huge budgeted, marvel brand, comic book, PG13 spider man spin off. 

The only thing they have in common was release date in America.

And ASIB is a 5 star movie, IMO. Venom is easily a 1. 

Like I said. ASIB was re-released + re-expanded plenty of times and it barely crawled a head of the rotten and panned Venom. It also had around the same promotional budget as Venom and many other blockbusters. It's not some little indie awards bait film. It was pushed harder than most movies lol.   ASIB is also a very known movie in general. We all know how popular remakes are these days. 

Edited by HeadShot

9 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Oh btw that 227 PA is for homecoming . Read better next time. 

Venom cost less in combined production and worldwide P&A costs ($227M) than the wall crawler (Spider-Man: Homecoming‘s costs were $332M).

Homecoming had 332m PA , venom at 227m. That is quite straightforward highlighted in the sentence. Read slower next time, or else...

Image result for the ability to speak does not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3