TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

When even the social media reactions are mixed you know you have a major disappointment in your hands. After a divisive Phase 4 Marvel needed to knock it out of the park for this movie, as it's crucial and will set the tone for the next few years. And this movie doesn't look like it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see this be Rotten. Potentially Marvel's very own Batman v Superman moment. If this pans out then I'm utterly dreading the meltdown that'll be upon us, considering what that movie did to the DC brand.

• Knock It Off 4

21 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

When even the social media reactions are mixed you know you have a major disappointment in your hands. After a divisive Phase 4 Marvel needed to knock it out of the park for this movie, as it's crucial and will set the tone for the next few years. And this movie doesn't look like it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see this be Rotten. Potentially Marvel's very own Batman v Superman moment. If this pans out then I'm utterly dreading the meltdown that'll be upon us, considering what that movie did to the DC brand.

The tone of the next Avengers movie will be set by the characters who'll lead that movie, and that's The Marvels, Captain America: NWO, and hopefully Spider-Man 4. Ant-Man is no Batman & Kang is no Superman of MCU. This movie's importance is what the Thor(2021) movie had before The Avengers(2012).

Edited by Factcheck
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

L-O-L.

Like, have people really forgotten how bad the reception, critical and GA, was to BvS???

Lemme remind folks:  RT Score of 29%  TWENTY-NINE!!!!  With an average rating of 5/10.

Nothing in the reactions, even the most critical, is suggesting a "BvS moment".

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

L-O-L.

Like, have people really forgotten how bad the reception, critical and GA, was to BvS???

Lemme remind folks:  RT Score of 29%  TWENTY-NINE!!!!  With an average rating of 5/10.

Nothing in the reactions, even the most critical, is suggesting a "BvS moment".

I don't disagree with the overall point nor do I feel like this will be anywhere near a BvS disaster, but in fairness, BvS' social media reactions didn't indicate that the film was a disaster either :hahaha:

That's kind of the point - social media reactions are (positively) hyperbolic and almost never will flat out come to a consensus of a movie being a complete disaster unless it's truly a one-of-a-kind turd a la morbius. Even so, I think this could be mixed, low 70s-high 60s territory, maybe dropping to slightly rotten in an absolutely worst case scenario, but I don't see a world where this is getting that sort of rejection

Edited by JustLurking

This feels like MOM /AOU to me.

Massive in scope but some elements just didn't quite deliver .

Add to that it leans heavily on sci Fi which may turn off some 

Opening weekend should be quite big but could get shitty legs and probably an A- or B+.

65-75% RT

Kristian harloff reaction was interesting had comps like starwars, blade runner .

Majors as Kang seems like a major win.

So still really excited for the movie 

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

With superhero movies reviews are always treated as "the worst piece of shit ever filmed" or "I love it more than Jesus" with no in between

This is the inbetween. Reviews seem like they’ll be mediocre but it seems the GA as indicated by the reactions are digging it. No one is saying the MCU is over or is even changing their predictions or hype. Negativity can be addressed without jumping over the deep end. Quantumania has not looked like it was for me since the first teaser but I’ll be happy for anyone who enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Some of the reactions are giving MoM vibes like: Movie is meh but Elizabeth Olsen is great! So maybe 68-71 ish. 

And fans are gonna have the same vibe, I think...if the tweets are true, fans really won't love that Michele Pfeiffer takes over the Ant Man movie b/c, ummm, they are showing up for Ant Man.  And Kang.  Who at least does seem he stays in top billing.

Now, I know why Menor dropped his 3 day bid.  I think this is Eternals level reviews...we'll see how the last 10 days of presales go.

I admit I didn't increase over $90M b/c I was concerned from the get go on the quality issue with "multiverse gobbledygook" - would it make sense, would it appeal, would it be any good?  It seems there is concern on that point...and my other concern was with this Ant Man (not in his prime Hank Pym) being the 1st to face Kang when this Ant Man is not a cosmic level hero.  Big bad, little comedy hero tends to be very hard to write well...

Edited by TwoMisfits