TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

24 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

I can't see avengers 5 or 6 going below 2b even without china unless it's morbius level dogshit, the cameos of rdj, Evans, Tobey, etc are gonna bring in tons of people

think avengers 5 might not have those cameos; the way secret wars 2015 is structured allows the cameos a natural way into the story, but it needs to come from a cliffhanger so big that it only makes sense as the end of an avengers movie

think theyll do kang dynasty and then secret wars part 1 and part 2 if they feel like squeezing out a few more cameo-focused bucks out of (you)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

think avengers 5 might not have those cameos; the way secret wars 2015 is structured, allows the cameos a natural way into the story, but it needs to come from a cliffhanger so big that it only makes sense at the end of an avengers movie

think theyll go do kang dynasty and then secret wars part 1 and part 2 if they feel like 1 movie is too little time for their cameos

^ 100% spot on

Rumor was they would split Secret Wars into two parts

7 minutes ago, TestPattern said:

Was Gunn originally poised to be Feige's successor before his firing?

If I remember correctly he was supposed to be like the cosmic side guy for marvel before the firing went down but someone with more knowledge can correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe that was just a rumour. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

We have to remember, Thanos never had a proper introduction until IW so I would argue they've done a much better job with Kang in that aspect. Thanos was pretty one-dimensional in GOTG

I do agree with the "new Avengers just aren't exciting" part but Secret Wars is going to be filled with cameos, unfortunately 

Post-Secret Wars is when the real grind starts 

Even as far as the potential for multiverse crossovers in Secret Wars is concerned, we already had NWH, and Deadpool 3 is bringing back Hugh Jackman. I suppose there could be some appeal in seeing Tobey Maguire interact with Hugh Jackman, but still, we will have already seen their returns by then. Plus, would that be anymore exciting than seeing the three Spider-Men together?

Edited by WittyUsername

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

No that's not what i said, What i propose is wait a few years to start a proper phase 4 so they could developed the projects properly and people would miss the usual MCU on theaters

They could make those TV shows but focus on that instead of make a thousand things 

They could make partnerships with other studios to different projects, something like SpiderVerse for example 

Literally every thing you have said is something Marvel has done after Far From Home

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

If I remember correctly he was supposed to be like the cosmic side guy for marvel before the firing went down but someone with more knowledge can correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe that was just a rumour. 

think it was supposed to be some big overall deal, like the one they have with Coogler now where he's producing Ironheart and a Wakanda show.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Literally every thing you have said is something Marvel has done after Far From Home

Wandavision and Falcon were directly connected to the upcoming movies in the universe. Not the same thing as making something self-contained that people don't need to watch to get things.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

I can't see avengers 5 or 6 going below 2b even without china unless it's morbius level dogshit, the cameos of rdj, Evans, Tobey, etc are gonna bring in tons of people

These cameos really aren’t assured. Also if MCU becomes a cameo machine that has longer term implication which are not good at all.

——

Looking forward I think the ‘dangers’ for MCU will be the less grounded films. Guardians despite being in space has an ensemble cast who are relatable; The Marvels is surely going to be pretty earth based and straight forward. Then we have Captain America which again should be pretty earth based and straight forward.

So should be a run that’s not a bunch of actors looking miserable on a flat sound stage which seems to have been a hinderance for Thor/Ant Man. They just need to reign in the writers and artists.

3 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Is there any doubt that RDJ carried the entire superhero genre on his back? The dozens of imitations, inside and outside of this franchise, just can't capture the same magic. 

never was

his greatest achivement was carrying The Avengers to 1.5 billion, 900 million more than the next highest grossing mcu movie, off the strength of his quips alone

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

never was

his greatest achivement was carrying The Avengers to 1.5 billion, 900 million more than the next highest grossing mcu movie, with the strength of his quips alone

Still the best MCU movie imo. Everything just flowed and came together so well. The execution by Joss Whedon was quite exquisite 

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

No way if falls under $90M, right?

I’m going with 92m OW, 220m Domestic, 685m WW

Respectable off a $200m budget (supposedly) but hardly a “win” given the build-up, the set-up for the next three years, and the way Marvel has been trending critically and commercially  as of late.

I would consider a finish > $700m WW to be a success worth celebrating considering these reviews and the established precedent for this character.

Ant-Man was never going to be a $1b+ franchise anyway. Whether or not it was the right franchise to introduce the new “big bad” (Loki was more of a prelude than a formal intro) as opposed to making a film in the vein of the first two Ant-Man films, that’s a different convo. But Kang or no Kang, this franchise has a hard ceiling.

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I’m going with 92m OW, 220m Domestic, 685m WW

Respectable off a $200m budget (supposedly) but hardly a “win” given the build-up, the set-up for the next three years, and the way Marvel has been trending critically and commercially  as of late.

I would consider a finish > $700m WW to be a success worth celebrating considering these reviews and the established precedent for this character.

Ant-Man was never going to be a $1b+ franchise anyway. Whether or not it was the right franchise to introduce the new “big bad” (Loki was more of a prelude than a formal intro) as opposed to making a film in the vein of the first two Ant-Man films, that’s a different convo. But Kang or no Kang, this franchise has a hard ceiling.

There is just no way it makes that much OS. Need a bigger domestic gross to reach that WW.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think I'll only start saying the "MCU is dying" if one the Avengers movies gets reception similar to the last couple MCU movies and underperforms. And honestly, I still wouldn't bet on that happening.

Quality-wise, I'm still hopeful for The Marvels and CA NWO, but box office-wise, the MCU era is over. The Avengers movie will be led by Anthony Mackie Captain America, and he doesn't have much appeal. The second lead will be Captain Marvel, and MCU nerds don't want to accept her or be excited for her. The Avengers movies will barely do 1 billion, and that's with the help of China.

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Today's presales were so bad that if it continues to meh walkups on thursday and rest of the weekend, nothing is off the table. Let us wait and see. 

Will it get to 18M previews or is even that number not safe anymore?

13 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Quality-wise, I'm still hopeful for The Marvels and CA NWO, but box office-wise, the MCU era is over. The Avengers movie will be led by Anthony Mackie Captain America, and he doesn't have much appeal. The second lead will be Captain Marvel, and MCU nerds don't want to accept her or be excited for her. The Avengers movies will barely do 1 billion, and that's with the help of China.

kang dynasty is lead by kang if i'm not ! same as infinity war was mostly thanos movie !+ loki,spiderman,doc strange, ant man and even deadpool will play major roles ! so i don't think the issue u said happening then secret wars wil be filled with cameos and comebacks, fan services etc.

the rela test is phase 5 movies ! started from ant man which is now a failure ! guardians, marvels , loki s2, capt america ,thunderbolts these movies cannot fail critically more than commercially