TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

From the first results it could go as low as less than 500 mln worldwide, like 450-460 mln, US would have to do some heavy lifting to carry it over 500 mln. So there's a good chance it could be a real disaster and heads would be rolling.

500 isn't really "heads rolling disaster". Even Eternals is still getting some kind of follow up.

My ballpark guess for the Kang Dynasty top-billed players in order. Pure speculation:

Chris Hemsworth

Benedict Cumberbatch

Mark Ruffalo

Brie Larson

Tom Holland

Jonathan Majors

Elizabeth Olsen

Anthony Mackie

Paul Rudd

Letitia Wright

Simu Liu

Benedict Wong

with Chris Pratt

and Harrison Ford

Secret Wars cast would be essentially this group

24 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Who's to say those movies won't have even worse reviews?

If we're talking hypotheticals based on no evidence or even footage they could also be awards contenders like Black Panther for all we know. Why do you think Quantumania reviews will affect The Marvels anymore than it would Indiana Jones? They're completely unrelated projects.

Edited by SpiderByte

21 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Guessing who will be on the team is half the fun.

It's not really, audience needs characters to back and root for and they need some characters which have a connection with audience.

We all knew the avengers lineup Abe age of Ultron lineup and lineups of Infinity War ace Endgame, it made following their journeys worth it abs created excitement for crossover.

Current we don't know who, what, when and where. Why am i following characters who will not appear in Kang dynasty and who are the characters who will Actually appear in the Kang dynasty and isn't giving projects to characters who are not going to appear in kang dynasty a waste of time?

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

My ballpark guess for the Kang Dynasty top-billed players in order. Pure speculation:

Chris Hemsworth

Benedict Cumberbatch

Mark Ruffalo

Brie Larson

Tom Holland

Jonathan Majors

Elizabeth Olsen

Anthony Mackie

Paul Rudd

Letitia Wright

Simu Liu

Benedict Wong

with Chris Pratt

and Harrison Ford

Nah, my guess it's the rumored Avengers team that's gonna show up in Cap 4. Based on the rumors around that movie, my guess the team is gonna be Captain America, She-Hulk, an Eternals character (maybe Black Knight?), Shang-Chi and Kate Bishop.

Just now, SpiderByte said:

If we're talking hypotheticals based on no evidence they could also be awards contenders like Black Panther for all we know. Why do you think Quantumania reviews will affect The Marvels anymore than it would Indiana Jones? They're completely unrelated projects.

Incredibly incorrect. The MCU is at a point where people link all the projects, even if they choose which ones to watch based on different criteria. At my office (a big media company in the middle of LA) yesterday, a couple rows down, a group of people who I'd say resemble Marvel's target demo (this convo was between five creative types, mixed genders and races, in their 25s-40s) complaining about Marvel fatigue (this spun off a convo about the Super Bowl ads). Not any particular character fatigue, but "Marvel fatigue" (a phrase that was used multiple times) in general.

Marvel really need to experiment with lower budgets. They have all the street level heroes right there in their pantheon and are refusing to use them despite the fact that Joker and Deadpool have clearly shown you can make big bucks appealing to a more adult audience. People who grew up with   the MCU are now adults, they can handle more mature  themes in these movies!

Edited by eddyxx

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Nah, my guess it's the rumored Avengers team that's gonna show up in Cap 4. Based on the rumors around that movie, my guess the team is gonna be Captain America, She-Hulk, an Eternals character (maybe Black Knight?), Shang-Chi and Kate Bishop.

Keep guessing. Eventually you'll get more plausible.

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Marvel really need to experiment with lower budgets. They have all the street level heroes right there in their pantheon and are refusing to use them despite the fact that Joker and Deadpool have clearly shown you can make big bucks appealing to a more adult audience. People who grew up with   the MCU are now adults, they can handle more mature  themes in these movies!

Seconded. Give me more stuff in the vein of "Werewolf by Night". I think that kind of experimental, lower-budget content is the secret sauce toward maintaining the MCU. I know that's not street-level, but it does show that Marvel doesn't need to keep getting louder and expensive for the sake of quality. You just need a good vision. No amount of $$$ can substitute for a great creative vision.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

If we're talking hypotheticals based on no evidence or even footage they could also be awards contenders like Black Panther for all we know. Why do you think Quantumania reviews will affect The Marvels anymore than it would Indiana Jones? They're completely unrelated projects.

If they're completely unrelated then let's stop the "MCU had grossed 20 bazillion dollars" line and count the different series separately.

If sub 500M for a third entry of a solidified franchise with beloved characters and the official presentation of the next MCU big villain isn't a disaster i don't know what is  

Eternals was a first movie with all-new characters and COVID was still a thing when people was more picky about what it's worth the risk 

I still think Quantumania will be in the 600's to be fair, which is meh and disappointing but still not a disaster, but the first OS numbers and past days bad US presales could take into sub 500 if things don't improve 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I don't see it going sub $500M...That's an overreaction

If it opens $255-275M that would mean at least a $510-$550M finish assuming 2x multiplier

Even MoM could get a 2.1x multiplier and only played in theaters for 40+ days before D+ release 

You need to know Antman 3 budget is 200m,is need 600m+ to make break even

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Keep guessing. Eventually you'll get more plausible.

One of the villains of the movie is The Leader from Incredible Hulk, and indications are strong that Ross will be Red Hulk in Cap 4. So having a Hulk character on Caps team seems very likely.

The plot is reportedly about an arms race over the frozen Tiamut in Eternals that got transmuted into adamantium, and currently there are literally only two people on earth who knows what Tiamut is and one of them has a magic sword. If not Dane it could be Starfox or Makkari or one of the Eternals not abducted at the end of their movie.

Kang Dynasty is directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, so Shang-Chi is all but a lock for an appearance, meaning odds are good he's also in the Avengers.

Kate Bishop as Hawkeye makes sense since Clint's probably due to retire, and they'll probably also want to set her up in the movies for when they inevitably bring Children's Crusade into the mix.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Haha 1