sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

That international number for CA actually looks good considering that it only opened in 26 markets. FvF only has a 2 mil higher international opening and it opened in 41 markets.

TBF Ford v Ferrari/Le Mans 66 is a tougher sell to OS audiences compared to Charlie's Angels, Baywatch two years ago was actually really successful OS which is surprising considering that R rated comedies don't travel that well. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

Baywatch two years ago was actually really successful OS which is surprising considering that R rated comedies don't travel that well. 

David Hasselhoff is literally worshipped in Germany lol, it's really not that surprising.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

David Hasselhoff is literally worshipped in Germany lol, it's really not that surprising.

I wonder how a Knight Rider film would fare, I think it would have to be a reimagining but the concept is appealing enough. I think the film rights are with Spyglass as they own Lantern Entertainment who have the Weinstein Company assets. 

I’ve seen a comment or two about FvsF could hit $100M.  It’s not really even a question if it will hit $100M.

I think the question should be how much above $100M can the film make?  Yes, this seems destined to be a 4x banger off OW.  Feels like it’s got a better chance than not to push over $125M.

Having seen the film, I can say with certainty it’s a gem.  It opened on a great weekend and will make a killing thru Thanksgiving.  Should still play well into the holidays, as Thanksgiving being so late this year there are only 3 weekends until the XMas runs start.

Gonna fight for similar crowd next weekend, but won’t it be refreshing for grandfathers, fathers and sons to have this as an option over the holidays.  Not a lot gets put out these days that can span three generations, while holding the attention of the youth at the same time.

Last night I went to see Dr. Sleep and saw a group of six men ages 15-65 standing outside the theater, talking about FvsF.  The older men were just so moved.  It was great to see.

With the low Thursday number and what will likely be $32M+ weekend after actuals, this film  has a great shot to pull in $20M next weekend.... even with Mr. Rogers.  Can easily see this being above $90M thru Thanksgiving weekend. 

We’ll see.

Edited by lobogotti
  • Like 4

25-30% Sun drop will give FVF 31.9-32.5 ow.

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Nov 15, 2019 1 $10,941,000   3,528 $3,101   $10,941,000 1
Nov 16, 2019 1 $12,336,000 +13% 3,528 $3,497   $23,277,000 2
Nov 17, 2019 1 $7,760,000 -37% 3,528 $2,200   $31,037,000

---

Good hold for Midday considering VD inflated it

2 (1) Midway Lionsgate $8,750,000 -51% 3,242 n/c $2,699 $35,140,773 2

50-55 is locked if not more.

---

ZL2 still gunning for ZL1's 75.6 if it can hold on to screens

13 (9) Zombieland: Double Tap Sony Pict… $2,010,000 -53% 1,407 -1,020 $1,429 $70,393,247 5

---

With huge comp coming up, 100's difficult

15 (10) The Addams Family United Ar… $1,600,000 -62% 1,835 -839 $872 $94,550,241 6

---

To hit 2.2x multi T6 needs to add 7 more and hit 63.87 dom.

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
Nov 1, 2019 1 $29,033,832   4,086 $7,106   $29,033,832 1
Nov 8, 2019 5 $10,808,236 -63% 4,086 $2,645   $48,465,366 2
Nov 15, 2019 11 $4,375,000 -60% 2,477 $1,766   $56,885,077
Edited by a2k

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBF Ford v Ferrari/Le Mans 66 is a tougher sell to OS audiences compared to Charlie's Angels, Baywatch two years ago was actually really successful OS which is surprising considering that R rated comedies don't travel that well. 

hmm I don’t think so. Matt Damon is a big name. Plus this has already had lots of advanced screenings overseas to build WOM. 

I left the screening as soon as the title came up lol 😂,  sooo not my kind of thing and the only film I liked Bale in was American Psycho 20 years ago. 

Edited by Krissykins

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

Joker has a 38% OS drop and a 39% Dom drop for a 18.6+ ww weekend taking it to 1017.

Heading to 1060 imo.

It’s just insane this film is holding at top ten (#8) in its 7th weekend.

It’s roughly $1M away from finishing top five.  

It’s PTA is 5th best in the top 8 and just barely finished behind CA.  And a smidge more behind two others.  Really, FvsF is the only film in the top 8 doing crazy PTA.

Bottom line, the film shouldn’t be losing screens at the numbers we’re seeing.  It’s killing the competition.

$1.05B seems a lock.  I’m hoping for above your number though.

I understand the Charlie’s Angels flop a bit more now, they should’ve been targeting older females. Those Ariana Grande fans are loud, but they don’t pay.

“The $48 million production received a "B" CinemaScorefrom opening weekend audiences, which were 61% female with 55% of the overall audience coming in aged 25 or older.“

10 minutes ago, lobogotti said:

It’s just insane this film is holding at top ten (#8) in its 7th weekend.

It’s roughly $1M away from finishing top five.  

It’s PTA is 5th best in the top 8 and just barely finished behind CA.  And a smidge more behind two others.  Really, FvsF is the only film in the top 8 doing crazy PTA.

Bottom line, the film shouldn’t be losing screens at the numbers we’re seeing.  It’s killing the competition.

$1.05B seems a lock.  I’m hoping for above your number though.

1050 needs 33 after 18.64 weekend, just 1.77x the weekend more.

1060 needs 43 or 2.31x more (a very easy multi to hit this late the way it has performed) while 2.6x gives 1065.

Edited by a2k
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I understand the Charlie’s Angels flop a bit more now, they should’ve been targeting older females. Those Ariana Grande fans are loud, but they don’t pay.

“The $48 million production received a "B" CinemaScorefrom opening weekend audiences, which were 61% female with 55% of the overall audience coming in aged 25 or older.“

Don't know why it received such a low cinemascore.

I enjoyed the movie very much and the people at my audience seemed very into it.

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

As expected, Last Christmas easily beat Ford V Ferrari to #1 here in the UK. 

Last Christmas is a British film with the songs of a British singer, it'd been a shock if it hadn't done well in the native country. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

No, he is not. This is such an urban legend/common misconception. He had all of two hit singles in Germany, literally decades apart.

Last Christmas has a prod budget of 25-30 and it's gonna be very profitable with a leggy run.

US/Can is not it's home market and could do 40 there.

UK debut was 3.25-3.3 usd if I am not wrong @Krissykins. Grinch has nearly 6x multi last year and Last Christmas could do 20 UK am guessing.

Couple of musical friendly markets could break-out big. Wonder if 200 ww is feasible. (edit: 150 ww maybe, if 200 is too optimistic)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Last Christmas is a British film with the songs of a British singer, it'd been a shock if it hadn't done well in the native country. 

Yeh as I said, it was expected. It had much more hype here. 

Edited by Krissykins

Yikes at that CA number.  I wonder how a reboot with the original cast would have done?  I have a stupid amount of nostalgia for those movies. They were in on the joke and had fun with it, and I really enjoyed that.  As much as I liked those and in general like Elizabeth Banks, the new movie looked terrible.  Like they forgot that this whole thing is ridiculous, fantasy fun.  

• Like 1