TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

While the pearl clutching is overwrought (though it is social media, so par for the course), I do think noting that the budget tripled if one takes out actor/director salaries is fair (or doubled-and-a-half if one wants to take into account inflation).  

How much of that "street level" feel that was I think part of Joker's success will be lost?  Will it be lost at all? I guess noting the possibility of bloat is where I'm at.  Not being a doomsayer by any means (hell, see my stance I just laid out in the DP3 thread), but wondering/musing on how the toan/feel of the movie might be different this go around.

Tone is a subtle thing after all.  I do think there is gonna be tremendous up front interest in it.  How it actually translates into butts in the seats/WOM?  "Curious" is where I think I'm at right now.

You can't say that any of these actor/director salaries are undeserved though. Gaga will have to do a lot of heavylifting as she's most probably songwriting too or at least part of a songwriting team aiming for a Best Original Song win. Considering the amount of hype the Little Monsters are already generating for this, I'd actually say she could have asked for more lol. Joaquin didn't even need to come back as he already got his Oscar and it's not like Joker is the only thing his career is dependent on, so that amount of money was needed for convincing otherwise there would be no film. And of course Todd Phillips's salary is also going up after the way the first film exploded.

Re "street level", people were literally joking about how this might be like The Hangover 2 where it's the same plot but in Bangkok so Phillips needs some credit for being ambitious and doing something very different with a sequel. I would have said I hoped there would be no The Last Jedi effect as a result but even TLJ made 1.3B+ despite all the whining and teeth gnashing.

The trailer reception will give us a better idea of how big this could be. I feel marketing could try seeding in a "fan" trend like moviegoing couples dressing up in Joker and Harley colors (clown makeup would be too much lmao) and women wearing red and black to mimic the Barbie pink wave.

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

While the pearl clutching is overwrought (though it is social media, so par for the course), I do think noting that the budget tripled if one takes out actor/director salaries is fair (or doubled-and-a-half if one wants to take into account inflation).  

How much of that "street level" feel that was I think part of Joker's success will be lost?  Will it be lost at all? I guess noting the possibility of bloat is where I'm at.  Not being a doomsayer by any means (hell, see my stance I just laid out in the DP3 thread), but wondering/musing on how the toan/feel of the movie might be different this go around.

Tone is a subtle thing after all.  I do think there is gonna be tremendous up front interest in it.  How it actually translates into butts in the seats/WOM?  "Curious" is where I think I'm at right now.

Same here; fascinating to see if Phillips can pull off  a comic book musical. One problem is let's face it, the core audience for CBM's are not known for their fondness for musicals.Oh, it will have a huge oW, but lets see what the legs are like.

Not surprised the budget has swollen. musicals are not cheap to do.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh God dammit they're doing the "not promoting the musical as a musical" shit for this too aren't they

I'm not sure I'd come to that conclusion off of a 27-second preview that might not even be in the full trailer anyway, given how long it lingers. The poster is pretty explicitly showing off that twist.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2024 at 10:00 PM, BigBoxOfficeBucks said:

If it turned out to be a success, then finish the trilogy, make Batman the "antagonist" in the third movie, find Timothée Chalamet to play him.

Baby, Timothee is too good for the superhero industrial complex.

54 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Baby, Timothee is too good for the superhero industrial complex.

But he's not too good for a Willy Wonka prequel 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm not sure I'd come to that conclusion off of a 27-second preview that might not even be in the full trailer anyway, given how long it lingers. The poster is pretty explicitly showing off that twist.

It absolutely would not indicate that it's a musical if you didn't already know it.

This looks fantastic. Wish they showed some of Gaga as well but I get why they're saving her for the very end. 

60k likes and 3M views on this tweet, and it hasn't been two hours since this teaser was posted! Insane engagement. The trailer will do numbers. The hype is real.

Edited by TylerG