TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Not a musicals fan but ‘reinterpreted jukebox hits’ sounds waaay less interesting than original numbers. Songs people already know is the path of least resistance 

Edited by Hatebox

Original songs wouldn't make much sense here, two loonies singing their favourite tunes in a madhouse is something that fits. Focusing on them writing their own songs is just dumb.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Original songs wouldn't make much sense here, two loonies singing their favourite tunes in a madhouse is something that fits. Focusing on them writing their own songs is just dumb.

Musical numbers operate beyond logic regardless, so might as well do something original instead of riding existing coattails. 

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Musical numbers operate beyond logic regardless, so might as well do something original instead of riding existing coattails. 

Yeah, but isn't it supposed to be Star Is Born-like and not La La Land-like musical? Because musicals where characters don't break into dancing and singing numbers out of nowhere usually require a bit more logic and justification.

The first movie used a fair amount of licensed music as well, including a Frank Sinatra song. I don’t see why this would lead to the budget being so much higher than the first one. I would think the better explanation is that Phillips and Phoenix got a massive pay raise, and that Lady Gaga wasn’t cheap either. 

Maybe they also filmed some really elaborate musical sequences. I assume that can get fairly expensive. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Yeah Phoenix was paid 4.5mil upfront for the first film and Phillips forego his salary for a stake in the movie, which was smart. I bet this time around they are both getting a huge upfront pay on top of whatever backends they still have. I wouldn't be shocked if just those two along with Gaga are getting something like 50mil combined on upfront salaries.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Yeah Phoenix was paid 4.5mil upfront for the first film and Phillips forego his salary for a stake in the movie, which was smart. I bet this time around they are both getting a huge upfront pay on top of whatever backends they still have. I wouldn't be shocked if just those two along with Gaga are getting something like 50mil combined on upfront salaries.

Phoenix got paid $20M and Gaga got paid $10M. 

• Like 3

if the 15 songs are all Cole Porter and Stephen Sondheim classics goodbye 1B. I really don't see his male  basic audience to care about this. Especially cause i want to watch good performers for this kinda of enterteinment. Gaga of course can do really good but Phoenix please he's gonna be boring and mediocre as hell at singing and dancing this kinda of music. 

Edited by vale9001

On 3/23/2024 at 12:08 PM, WittyUsername said:

The first movie used a fair amount of licensed music as well, including a Frank Sinatra song. I don’t see why this would lead to the budget being so much higher than the first one. I would think the better explanation is that Phillips and Phoenix got a massive pay raise, and that Lady Gaga wasn’t cheap either. 

Maybe they also filmed some really elaborate musical sequences. I assume that can get fairly expensive. 

Thatis one reason I su\spect some of the numbers will be from the classic MGM musicals, which Warners owns the rights to.

And licensisng songs is not that expensive anyway. What is expensive is  using specific versions of the songs by big name sineers,,which this won't be.

On 3/25/2024 at 9:06 AM, vale9001 said:

if the 15 songs are all Cole Porter and Stephen Sondheim classics goodbye 1B. I really don't see his male  basic audience to care about this. Especially cause i want to watch good performers for this kinda of enterteinment. Gaga of course can do really good but Phoenix please he's gonna be boring and mediocre as hell at singing and dancing this kinda of music. 

Sounds like you don't like th eidea of this being a musical period.

And nice stereotyping of the male audience.

On 3/25/2024 at 6:43 AM, Spidey Freak said:

I think it was reported that Gaga got paid 12M

And I suspect she has a piece of the gross as well.....

I admit I am really really curious to see how this turns out.

I am now pretty sure it will have a lot of "Wandavision" in it's genes, though with musicals instead of sitcoms.

Edited by dudalb

Honest question, what does the casting of Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn rank historically for comic book film casting? On paper, it such a slam dunk both commercially and critically, it is akin to Jack Nicholson as Joker back in 1989. JOKER 2 was always going to be big but Gaga as the iconic character just feels like a peak star power flex.  

• Like 3