TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes it does.  The finger gun to the head from Harley Quinn depicts someone going  "HA HA I'm contemplating suicide - JUST KIDDING .... or am I"

I mean, yes it is something of an edge case.  But that look she gives right after the feigned blow-my-own-brains-out gesture is someone who isn't entirely saying "ha ha, jk".

I can't imagine even the most depressed person ever commiting suicide or even thinking about it after this shot, it's pathetic to throw a warning over this. Context matters and it was more of "Look at me, honey, I'm just like you" than some serious moment, I mean she does this cute face expression clearly not meaning it, she just wants his attention.

Edited by TomThomas

Just now, TomThomas said:

I can't imagine even the most depressed person ever commiting suicide or even thinking about it after this shot

It's not for you to imagine though, now is it?

Not the thread to go into this though. Or why Trigger Warnings exist in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's not for you to imagine though, now is it?

I'm hardly the happiest person in the world and during my worst moments of depression with thoughts about suicide I would never be triggered by something like this, scene context doesn't imply suicide or thoughts about it, it's just "Look at me, honey" gesture.

23 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I'm hardly the happiest person in the world and during my worst moments of depression with thoughts about suicide I would never be triggered by something like this, scene context doesn't imply suicide or thoughts about it, it's just "Look at me, honey" gesture.

Again: It's. Not. About. What. *YOU*. Would. Have. Done.

Or, frankly, what you could contemplate someone else doing.

I *really* don't want to go here, but I will add something else and be as tactful as I can about such a delicate topic. 

Trigger Warnings exist not only for people who who are seeing something stressful that happened to them... but also as a warning for people who have had traumatic experiences through friends and family.

It is absolutely possible that someone knows someone close to them who has joked about committing suicide in such a silly frivolous way who seemed to be "clearly" joking who then turned around and did it soon afterwards. 

Hence a "Trigger Warning" about possibly revisiting a highly traumatic experience that someone doesn't want to see at that time. 

Beyond that, I can absolutely tell you with 100 percent confidence that:

51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Much much MUCH more relevantly, "joking about killing oneself" is taken incredibly seriously by some folks in Real Life (including some folks I personally know), as one can never be sure that they really are 'just kidding' — as such I can see how a depiction of someone playing that out in a scene might warrant a Trigger Warning, especially about a film with folks already in a mental institution/prison.

Would I have slapped a Trigger Warning on that scene?  Probably not.  Can I see why someone might have, given its global reach?

Eh.  Not gonna lose sleep over it *or* mock it.

And I think I will leave it at that as to not derail the thread.

(but I did feel was important enough to comment on)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Our world is simply far more volatile and angry than it was back when the first movie was released. And that already had a lot of people riled up back then, with fears of incel shootings and what have you. So YouTube is, very understandably, not taking any chances this time. Especially with this one coming out the month before the American election. This will likely not be the last trigger warning attached to this movie.

I mean, whether it's good or bad, whether people love it or hate it, whether the musical elements are only in support of the movie or the whole thing, whether it collapsed after its OW... Those are all valid questions. But undoubtedly the buzz is there. This is gonna open much higher than the first.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

$52m alone for Gaga ($12m), Phillips ($20m), and Phoenix ($20m).   So, yeah, a tiny bit higher.  

That explains it! Thank you.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

It’s a full on musical with song and dance numbers. Todd is just saying it’s still a Joker movie, and a serious film. 

41 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Apparently Todd Phillips clarified at the panel last night that it’s not a full musical, but music is an “essential element”. I can probably get on board with that.

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I mean, whether it's good or bad, whether people love it or hate it, whether the musical elements are only in support of the movie or the whole thing, whether it collapsed after its OW... Those are all valid questions. But undoubtedly the buzz is there. This is gonna open much higher than the first.

This. I really really have a hard time seeing this under 150m OW.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Apparently Todd Phillips clarified at the panel last night that it’s not a full musical, but music is an “essential element”. I can probably get on board with that.

That sounds more like a half-baked assurance towards the exhibitors in the audience to me, especially in light of them being burned out by pretty much every musical this decade either underperforming or outright bombing. I'm still going in expecting a full musical.

19 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

For sure. Especially since Godzilla x Kong defied its used-up novelty factor to score a big opening two weekends ago. This is going to open huge. Its staying power, and thus chance to take the crown for the year and give me my third victorious club. will all depend on how the crowds perceive it on its opening weekend. 

Speaking of that club, this first look as as good a time as any to plug it once again. Join now if you have as much faith in this movie as I:

8 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

What makes something "try hard"?   What's the difference between paying homage and "try hard"?    Nobody ever actually explains that.  There's several directors who have based their entire filmmaking careers on studying and then paying homage to other directors.  

It seems to me like the main difference is whether you are interested in the content or not.  If you are,  it's a homage.  If you aren't,  it's "try hard." 

I don't think you get what the term means. To me, tryhard means trying to seem more important than you actually are.

The first Joker, in my personal, subjective opinion that doesn't match everybody else in the world, fits that bill. Was just a bunch of flashy images trying to say something but ended up saying nothing. In my personal, subjective opinion that doesn't match everybody else in the world. This, judging by the two minutes of footage we saw that may not be accurate, looks to fit the bill.

7 hours ago, Flopped said:

Blockbuster cinema is dead. So a tentpole that looks, feels and sounds like cinema will be seen as try-hard by many people in 2024. That's not what they're used to. 

Just because something "feels like cinema" doesn't mean I have to automatically like it. Especially when this auteurist piece of cinema only exists to sell comic books and Funko Pops, just like those evil Marvel movies you hate. Please act more mature and let people have opinions different than yours.

Also I frequently complain about the blockbuster industrial complex sucks and my favorite movie last year was The Zone of Interest, so...yeah.

7 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Especially when this auteurist piece of cinema only exists to sell comic books and Funko Pops, just like those evil Marvel movies you hate.

Those evil Marvel movies are not well made and don't have any artistic merit, hence the difference. Comic book and Funko pops commercials can and should be better than sterile piece of plastic nothingness.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Those evil Marvel movies are not well made and don't have any artistic merit, hence the difference. Comic book and Funko pops commercials can and should be better than sterile piece of plastic nothingness.

Cool. Either way, I hope Flopped, and other folk here, learn to not mock and insult others here because of this, all due to people not saying ultra-nice things about Joker 2 or out of some desire to troll. Because in that case, they may not last long here. :)

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Man you cannot be pretending that this 200 million dollar blockbuster is not also made to make money 

• Like 1