TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Honestly, the reason we got this kind of sequel is because the first one received too much dumb and very loud criticism which Phillips probably took too close to his heart despite box office and awards. I feel like a different kind of overreaction is happening with this one. Fanboys losing their shit so hard because they didn't get what they wanted is kinda disturbing, it's even weirder than TLJ discourse because there's no nostalgia or childhood memories involved.

Edited by Firepower

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Just noticed this is on track for a sub-50% RT score with the latest wave of reviews. Gotta say I'm most curious what Phillips does next since it seems obvious he isn't be being trusted with a gig like this again.

Time to take another crack at that Caddyshack remake I suppose.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Just noticed this is on track for a sub-50% RT score with the latest wave of reviews. Gotta say I'm most curious what Phillips does next since it seems obvious he isn't be being trusted with a gig like this again.

He had no intention of doing a sequel in the first place until the studio threw money at him.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Good joke. It won't be a cult film just because it's self-aware, it's not even well made.

You clearly never saw the amount of cinephiles that are down bad for Matrix 4 (and i have to include myself). Every week there’s a lot of posts praising it, it’s in the film discussion since it dropped, it’s clearly following the path of a cult movie. 

And it didn’t even had bad reviews, 63 on MC is a better score than many wildly succesful and beloved toy movies lol

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Heart 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

You clearly never saw the amount of cinephiles that are down bad for Matrix 4 (and i have to include myself). Every week there’s a lot of posts praising it, it’s in the film discussion since it dropped, it’s clearly following the pate of a cult movie. 

This is minority, like there are poorly received films I absolutely love, but I'm not gonna pretend they are gonna be cult films down the line.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

And it didn’t even had bad reviews, 63 on MC is a better score than many wildly succesful and beloved toy movies lol

It has 5.7 imdb, it's hated even more than last Terminator sequels. Even on cinephilic letterboxd it's ~5.4, even Southland Tales is higher.

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

This is minority, like there are poorly received films I absolutely love, but I'm not gonna pretend they are gonna be cult films down the line.

It has 5.7 imdb, it's hated even more than last Terminator sequels. Even on cinephilic letterboxd it's ~5.4, even Southland Tales is higher.

You’ll never have good audience ratings so close after release, that’s the whole point of a cult movie. It becomes respect over the years due to a very vocal group of lovers that keeps talking about it. 

The LGBTQIA+ community absolutely loved this movie, it’s a very queer movie, they will keep talking about it for years to come.

There are poorly received movies that i like and nobody talks about it, that’s not the case with Matrix 4, which is why there’s a good chance the ongoing discussion a around it will simply make people revisit it in the long term. Even the Wachowskis themselves aren’t strangers to this, Speed Racer is a very respected movie these days despite original reception way worse than Matrix 4.

59 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Honestly, the reason we got this kind of sequel is because the first one received too much dumb and very loud criticism which Phillips probably took too close to his heart despite box office and awards. I feel like a different kind of overreaction is happening with this one. Fanboys losing their shit so hard because they didn't get what they wanted is kinda disturbing, it's even weirder than TLJ discourse because there's no nostalgia or childhood memories involved.

I don’t buy that Todd Phillips is the kind of person who really takes that stuff to heart. I think it’s more likely that he just decided to wing it because he wasn’t interested in making a sequel to begin with. 

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Cinemascore will be low judging by reception, but Mike Ryan is a douchebag of the highest degree, at least Ehrlich can write interesting pieces from time to time.

Edited by Firepower

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I don’t buy that Todd Phillips is the kind of person who really takes that stuff to heart. I think it’s more likely that he just decided to wing it because he wasn’t interested in making a sequel to begin with. 

I'm sure he wasn't, but I think it would've been a very different movie if he didn't care about all the noise around the first one, but since the entire movie is a reaction to the most obnoxious criticisms of the first movie, maybe he cared too much.