TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

$150 million? I suppose that would explain why there’s such a big gap between filming and the release date. Sounds like they might actually be serious about doing big musical set pieces. 

salaries are probably in 60m+ range on the budget thats more that the first whole budget

3 hours ago, In XXR We Trust said:

Those two statements seem contradictory: Joker 2 will have complicated musical sequences but will be less like In the Heights (which had lavish, elaborate sequences with dozens of characters at times) than A Star Is Born (where two singer characters mostly just performed on stages or in recording studios)?

I swear, sometimes this movie seems like a Mad Lib that got out of hand...

• Like 1

Honestly, this movie will probably be close to being profitable after opening weekend so the budget being what it is doesn’t matter. The first one opened big and was pretty well received. This one should open big as well just off of good will from the first movie and people’s interest in seeing Phoenix and GaGa.

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Those two statements seem contradictory: Joker 2 will have complicated musical sequences but will be less like In the Heights (which had lavish, elaborate sequences with dozens of characters at times) than A Star Is Born (where two singer characters mostly just performed on stages or in recording studios)?

I swear, sometimes this movie seems like a Mad Lib that got out of hand...

Does A Star is Born even count as a musical in the traditional Broadway sense? It doesn’t really have musical numbers or set pieces. The main characters are singers who perform songs, but they don’t really break into song to convey how they feel like you see in a Disney movie. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Honestly, this movie will probably be close to being profitable after opening weekend so the budget being what it is doesn’t matter. The first one opened big and was pretty well received. This one should open big as well just off of good will from the first movie and people’s interest in seeing Phoenix and GaGa.

Yea I would expect on OW north of $140M for it. 

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does A Star is Born even count as a musical in the traditional Broadway sense? It doesn’t really have musical numbers or set pieces. The main characters are singers who perform songs, but they don’t really break into song to convey how they feel like you see in a Disney movie. 

I mean, there was a time in Hollywood where any movie with songs performed was considered a "musical", but now people mostly mean a musical theater sort of thing. Which, ASIB was definitely not. But it was a romance of a messy couple with music involved, so maybe that's why it's comparable to Joker 2? Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Ya I was thinking 130-140, and a worldwide opening around 300 maybe. 

joker 1 opening with every market is arround 270ish 

unless something happends i think 325m should be an easy target

Wouldn't exactly say I'm excited for this but given Phoenix's loser joker would be unbelievable as a mastermind villain a straighforward sequel was always going to be a bad idea. So this zany approach is probably the way to go since there's no way WB wasn't doing something more with the character.

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

That is what I was thinking. All three Muscial versions of The Star Is Born (the first 1937 version was not a musical) all the songs are shown as being performed on stage or on a movie set; the charecters never sing during the main dramatic part of the movie.

Of course others movies have done this; "Cabaret" for instance.

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This could be complete BS, yet it oddly matches this movie's chaotic energy, so maybe it's true?

If Glenn finally gets her Oscar for playing Harley Quinn's mom in the musical Joker sequel directed by Todd Phillips...Awards Twitter would be sooo conflicted!

Cruela Devile Laughter GIF - Cruela Devile Laughter Maniacal - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Haha 1

“Joker” was a very New York movie — so much so that tourists flocked to the Bronx staircase where Joaquin Phoenix danced in a montage.

But the sequel, “Joker: Folie á Deux,” will shoot in Los Angeles, thanks to $12.6 million in tax credits to Warner Bros. from the state of California.