TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

14 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Lady Gaga - yes.

Musical - no.

I love a musical. But this will alienate a huge percentage of the audience if it is actually a full musical. 

But it will also add the legion of Little Monsters (are they still called that?) so

Thanos perfectly balanced as all things should be Memes - Imgflip

Anyways, I don't see it having more than 2-3 musical sequences

18 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Harvey Dent ofc

Thought that was a bit too obvious, aksually, so I intentionally didn't mention the possibility.  Wanted to see other names get thrown out as it were.

eta:

ngl though, the thought of Cooper playing an antagonistic Gordon type role (in an Inspector Javert sort of way) did pop into my head.  But I rejected mentioning it since I figured it'd be the second most obvious role that would be suggested.

Edited by Porthos

17 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

hear me out every joker sequel being a different genre next one horror

Not sure if it counts as horror, but if we're following the Scorsese connection, Cape Fear is just sitting there with a lot of Joker-esque hooks, you know.

I’m fine with GaGa as a presumably darker AltHarley (I don’t feel like Margot’s Harley would work with Phoenix’s Joker), but the musical angle turns me off quite a bit. Although it obviously depends on how well it’s implemented, if we’re talking the occasional fantastical musical section as a window into Harley/Joker’s psychosis then fine, but if it goes full Les Mis…no thanks.

I'm lukwarm on the first one but If this musical talk is true, it's a very ballsy move that I'm 100% here for. It certainly is a more interesting take than a straight sequel to a story that doesn't really need any continuation. 

I just have a hard time believing that Warner would let them take such a wild swing for a probable billion dollar hit. Until we confirm that this is gonna have multiple musical numbers or songs, I believe someone just heard the new script has one Gaga singing dream sequence and run with it.

I feel like if BCoop also ends up involved in this (he was a producer on the first) he's gonna end up ghost-directing those musical numbers on Phillips' behalf. After all, he is currently making and starring in a biopic about one of the creators of West Side Story. 

On 1/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Would be funny if the Scorsese film Philips decides to remake here is New York, New York. 

i LAUGHED reading this today. 

anyway. 

Not the superhero I would’ve picked for Gaga, but I am here for the fandom drama this will cause. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I'm lukwarm on the first one but If this musical talk is true, it's a very ballsy move that I'm 100% here for. It certainly is a more interesting take than a straight sequel to a story that doesn't really need any continuation. 

I just have a hard time believing that Warner would let them take such a wild swing for a probable billion dollar hit. Until we confirm that this is gonna have multiple musical numbers or songs, I believe someone just heard the new script has one Gaga singing dream sequence and run with it.

I know right? Zaslav wanted to reexamine why they greenlit Cry Macho, inexpensive boilerplate Clint Eastwood that probably lost WB way less money than most of their 2021 slate. Now the studio is willing to sign off on a superhero musical? Somrone tried that on Broadway and Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark was an epic trainwreck. If this works, great, I'm just surprised WB would agree.

And if this does work, Todd Phillips probably wins Best Director, the Film Twitter meltdowns would be spectacular.

• Like 1

I mean Todd Phillips and his creative decisions was what helped propel Joker to a billion, so it's fair to believe as an executive he knows what he's doing. Plus this is a sequel to a popular movie, so that only makes it a safer bet, even if it goes a bit more abstract or unexpected.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Somrone tried that on Broadway and Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark was an epic trainwreck.

TBF it made a lot of money and had a long run.

Kinda bummed that Dazzler isn't the first superhero musical we're getting but honestly, if a Joker 2 has to exist, this is one of the most digestible ways to do it. Still think this will only have about 2-3 song sequences instead of being a full blown musical though.

12 hours ago, Eric Lightyear said:

I mean Todd Phillips and his creative decisions was what helped propel Joker to a billion, so it's fair to believe as an executive he knows what he's doing. Plus this is a sequel to a popular movie, so that only makes it a safer bet, even if it goes a bit more abstract or unexpected.

And it's not even THAT abstract or unexpected a choice. 

What happens to Joker once he goes to Arkham? He either meets Harley or escapes and fights Batman

If you decide to include Harley, who could play her? Well, Gaga won an Oscar for another WB film and was nominated for Best Actress.

If Gaga is in the film, what genre could it be? Musical... if you want some of A Star Is Born's success 

Most of us here didn't want a sequel so didn't bother to think of where it could go, but honestly this was one of the only places it could possibly go 😛 Maybe not the musical part (which I still have doubts it will be a full-blown musical) but you can see how they decided on a Joker/Harley two-hander with the same actress who starred in a recent, very popular and award winning two-hander film for the same studio.

• Like 3